Never pay the gas price on the station sign again! With Upside, you get cheaper gas at any nearby station in the Washington D.C., Baltimore, and Northern Virginia areas by earning up to 50¢/gal cash back. Plus, earn coupons for cash back on services like car washes and oil changes, and convenience store items.

Works at 650+ stations in the area, including all the big brands (Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, etc) and works with any other fuel rewards card. With Upside, gas stations compete for your business with better prices than you'll see anywhere else, in the form of cash back. No gimmicks, no catch, just a free app to help you earn cash back.

How it works:
• FIND cheap gas near you-- up to 50¢ per gallon below the gas price on the sign
• PAY with any credit or debit card, and snap a picture of your receipt
• EARN cash back and get it whenever you want, via PayPal or check

ANDROID  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.upside.consumer.android

iOS  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/upside-gas-stations-compete/id1099997174?m

14 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Mar. 25, 2017 @ 11:15pm
rated:
looks interesting, what is the catch? Do they monitor all my phone calls and texts?

cant seem to find much

https://www.getupside.com/#how

rated:
Hi Fatwallet! I'm the founder of Upside. We saw a spike in people installing Upside this morning that led me to finding this post. Thanks for supporting us! I just created an account here so I could reply to Kenny's questions.

The catch -- None. We don't monitor your phone calls or texts. (We don't even ask for access those parts of your phone.) We don't sell your data to any other parties.

We give cash back by working with gas stations who want to grow their business. Upside offers them a way to offer personalized promotions to people. They're "bidding" for your business through the offers they provide. So you choose to buy your gas (and other services) from them and not stations around them.

The result is you pay less for gas (and other services at the station), the gas station earns more money, and Upside gets paid by the gas stations by getting a small cut of the business transaction we helped facilitate.

Happy to answer more questions people have and I've love to hear feedback people have once they try the app. I hope everyone gives us a try. We're a small DC based startup that was founded in 2016 and our app has been on the market just a few months.

--Wayne
Co-founder
Upside

rated:
Hi Wayne, I live in DMV area, and my son happened to work for OPIS, which used to own GasBuddy, an idea I always loved but didn't think they go far enough because getting gas could be so much more. Just want to wish you the best of luck in your new enterprise, and will be sure to download and try using it.

rated:
fwiw, i use it when i get gas at the local station. I'm a skeptic, but I don't know how this will last (I suspect that this is sorta subsidized(?) by their airline/hotel program, but I'm not that good at speculation) Personally, I would say use it and enjoy while you can. I have tried this for 3 weeks(?) so far and it's interesting. the amount back per gallon for the gas station i use seems to be shrinking each time, but supposedly (per post above) that's due to the station. My experience so far is okay. They pay back to either a paypal account (straightforward email address for the paypal) or a check. No minimums. (I almost feel bad since my amounts are usually a little over a dollar) This is independent from the CC cashback. I"m a little hesistant to use their upside credit at my station of preference as my local station technically does not have a car wash (there's one that's next to it, but i'm a bit heisstant on that respect)

hope this might help anyone eho's on the fence.

rated:
Wayne

Thanks for signing up and posting! I went ahead and used your app today as I noticed it wasn't asking for access to everything like many free apps do these days. You got at least one new customer from this post on FW

rated:
Shame.... only 3 states...

rated:
@VivYip -- Thanks for trying us out. The cash back offers change all the time and are partially driven by margins on gas for gas stations. So in times when gas stations have fat margins, we can pass more of that on to consumers. In leaner times, the offers come down in value. You might have just joined at a local peak and margins may have been shrinking the last few weeks. Don't worry though, these margins change all the time, so cash back will go back up. Lastly, the core business model of Upside is designed to be long run sustainable and one where we help consumers save money and help businesses grow. We have that in place now and just need lots of people to start use Upside so more gas stations want to join.

@comodosky -- I agree. Only 3 states. We want Upside to be all over the US! We're working on expanding as quickly as possible. In 2017 our goal is to enter a few more markets. Likely moving up the east coast and into PA, NJ, NY.

@ck90211 -- Thanks for positive vibes! We'll take all the support we can get.

rated:
wane1024 said:   @VivYip -- Thanks for trying us out. The cash back offers change all the time and are partially driven by margins on gas for gas stations. So in times when gas stations have fat margins, we can pass more of that on to consumers. In leaner times, the offers come down in value. You might have just joined at a local peak and margins may have been shrinking the last few weeks. Don't worry though, these margins change all the time, so cash back will go back up. Lastly, the core business model of Upside is designed to be long run sustainable and one where we help consumers save money and help businesses grow. We have that in place now and just need lots of people to start use Upside so more gas stations want to join.

@comodosky -- I agree. Only 3 states. We want Upside to be all over the US! We're working on expanding as quickly as possible. In 2017 our goal is to enter a few more markets. Likely moving up the east coast and into PA, NJ, NY.

@ck90211 -- Thanks for positive vibes! We'll take all the support we can get.

LOL we all want Upside to be all over the US too!
I initially saw this over on Reddit!

rated:
The question now is: Do I quit my job and hang out at the gas station begging for receipts?
The answer: Yes.

rated:
Wane is there a limit on the amount of receipts one can post? I have friends with businesses back there that have small fleets of pickups and med duty trucks and will pass this along if there are no restrictions.

rated:
wane1024 said:   @comodosky -- I agree. Only 3 states. We want Upside to be all over the US! We're working on expanding as quickly as possible. In 2017 our goal is to enter a few more markets. Likely moving up the east coast and into PA, NJ, NY.

Come south to Richmond!

rated:
VegasVegan said:   Wane is there a limit on the amount of receipts one can post? I have friends with businesses back there that have small fleets of pickups and med duty trucks and will pass this along if there are no restrictions.
  fwiw, a person has to "claim" an offer at a station and then has a 4 hour "window" to fill up and upload the receipt.  i wonder if anyone has tried to claim every 4 hours and then take their chances about the receipts

rated:
are credit and debit cards the only accepted types of payments? I was wondering about gas cards and gift cards.

update:
got my first savings of $3.xx from a 16 gallon fill-up within 12 hours of purchase.
sent a photo of the receipt after I got to work, since I don't have data with my phone.

rated:
from what i remember, the cards need to be used at pump and not inside the store to get credit

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017