posted 25 days ago by
Dilbertic

AMD new CPU is now released, Newegg just sent me the normal am spam listing different models and prices. Now I haven't been keeping up with CPU's but it seems to me AMD is pricing the different models pretty close to the Intels, so I am not seeing a huge reason to buy one of these thigns without a ton of test scores and how stable Ryzen are with Windows OS let alone the CPU itself.   Feedback people ...
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 8-Core 3.0 GHz - $329.00
AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core 3.4 GHz - $399.00
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6 GHz - $499.00

The Promotions email with everything and Motherboards 

19 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Mar. 28, 2017 @ 4:04am
rated:
I'm running a still pretty good i5, so I'm not in the market for one of these yet, but it's definitely piqued my interest. I'm waiting to see the real world testing on it, and I'm in no hurry, but I'm cheering for AMD to come out with a competitive CPU again.

rated:
Your old i5 is most likely faster than Ryzen, especially at 1080p. Really bad reviews and benchmarks on it.

Ryzen vs 5 year old gaming computer

rated:
lol an overhyped underdelivering AMD chip... its groundhog day!

rated:
In depth reviews:

Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-revi...
TOMS Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951.h...

Benchmarks look really good. The benches where Intel wins are all software applications that are optimized to existing hardware and there aren't yet optimizations for Ryzen out.

rated:
seodude said:   Your old i5 is most likely faster than Ryzen, especially at 1080p. Really bad reviews and benchmarks on it.

Ryzen vs 5 year old gaming computer

The reason why the author chose a five year old system is because Intel's CPUs haven't seen much gains in the last five years. To be fair, yes, Ryzen CPUs don't beat Intel CPUs for gaming. On the other hand, the reviews are anything but bad. In some use cases, Ryzen CPUs do beat Intel's CPU and they are great value for money.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/

rated:
good price for the product.

rated:
Like all AMD chips, these come with hundreds of free blue screens.
Not a deal at all, just someone caught up in the hype of a new product release.

rated:
I guess party is over. Intel is slashing its price to beat competition.

rated:
Why would Intel slash prices if the AMD chips are so bad? Or, is it possible that AMD did a really good job and are back to being competitive? Either way, I don't think this rates as a Hot Deal unless a retailer is selling them at a discount.

rated:
great performance/price ratio for video editing/rendering, not so much for gaming. on the other hand, high end multi-core CPUs are never meant for gaming anyways.

rated:
johnm4 said:   In depth reviews:

TOMS Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951.h... 

Benchmarks look really good. The benches where Intel wins are all software applications that are optimized to existing hardware and there aren't yet optimizations for Ryzen out.

So buy a cardboard motherboard, because Ryzen is only better on paper.  
Basically, still not better than Intel. If you can't afford Intel, it will work better than their previous offerings. Saying the software is not optimized still means Intel is better. AMD doesn't have the reach Intel has to get software optimized.
Go ahead AMD fanbois. Give me red, but you know I'm right.

rated:
johnm4 said:   In depth reviews:

TOMS Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951.h... 

The benchmarks look really good for what?  Excel? Video editing?
If you are video editing professionally you are almost always using a mac.  And how many people need umpteen thread spreadsheet power?

The reality is that people who pre-bought Ryzen were overwhelmingly gamers.  People who build their own rigs are overwhelmingly gamers.  The people who buy the newest, fastest processors ala carte, are overwhelmingly gamers.  And we arent talking how great it will be someday, we are measuring how great, or not so great, it is today.

Make all the arguments you want, right now Ryzen cant beat a 5 yr old intel i5 for 1080p games.  In addition, Ryzen is not cheaper than a 5yr old i5.
Ergo, Ryzen = Fail

rated:
Seems like a good deal.

rated:
Don't bother with AMD. Their CPUs are like 3 generations behind Intel. They are less power efficient and often will over heat when running without a heat sink.

rated:
Good job AMD.
Looks like a good value, half price of a I7 but still near equal performance while using 30% less power.
And for you intelfanboys, should put pressure to bring intel's prices down,
$1000 for their top of the line i7 is to much, party is over.

rated:
fatxman said:   Don't bother with AMD. Their CPUs are like 3 generations behind Intel. They are less power efficient and often will over heat when running without a heat sink.
  As an FYI, Intel CPUs will overheat without a heat sink as well. In fact, most modern CPUs will shut down before they overheat.

rated:
fatxman said:   Don't bother with AMD. Their CPUs are like 3 generations behind Intel. They are less power efficient and often will over heat when running without a heat sink.

Ryzen 1800X TDP is 95W versus 140W for the 6900K. ANY CPU is going to overheat without a heatsink. This is one of the most inane comments I've read here and that is saying something.

rated:

rated:
magnafides said:   

Ryzen 1800X TDP is 95W versus 140W for the 6900K. ANY CPU is going to overheat without a heatsink. This is one of the most inane comments I've read here and that is saying something.

That post is already at -8,  I think its overheating!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017