posted 48 years ago by
kchunk

link

AFFORDABLE, AMERICAN-MADE MODERN SPORTING RIFLE WITH THE RUGGED RELIABILITY THAT YOU HAVE COME TO EXPECT FROM RUGER.

Ruger AR-556 Black AR-15 .223/5.56mm 16.1-inch 30Rd

I just can't believe I can get a Ruger AR at this price while a WASR10 is now well over $600!  ...Strange days indeed!

Views
53 Comments
Add Comment
3.47 / 10 on resellerratings.

Don't hate me for saying this, but I pulled the trigger.

Thanks OP!

TunaNugget said:   3.47 / 10 on resellerratings.
  The reviews have me wondering about the site as well. 36 reviews on the Ruger AR-556 and virtually all have an overly positive "spin" on GrabAGun.  

I've had no problems with Grabagun in the past after several orders.
What are the resellerratings reviewers complaining about?

I've ordered from grabagun three time times in at least as many years. I'll agree they ship slow and slow to communicate, however I always got what I ordered.

As for customer service, I only seem to order from them when they have an outrageous deal so I'm happy just to get the deal and don't mind waiting a week or two and have never had to use their customer service.

Here

SODSS has the same rifle for $479, $4 more, but includes free shipping, Grabagun charges $8 for shipping, so still $4 less.

I have bought several guns from them in the past, and have been very satisfied with their service and prices.

In general I am not a fan of Ruger guns, but at this price, you are not going to find a higher quality AR at this price, I don't believe that you could build one and get this quality for that price (yes, I know that you can build an AR using the cheapest bits that PSA offers for cheaper, but you ARE sacrificing quality on some of the parts). At this price you are saving enough on a quality rifle to buy a half decent optic.

They also have the LCP pistol in .380 for $199, also with free shipping. I was about to order one for the same price at PSA but with $20 shipping and they now collect sales tax for my state.

Newb here.  How can the quality be that different between a $500 gun and a $1000 gun?

Is it going to jam more, fall apart, explode or something?

food1313 said:   Newb here.  How can the quality be that different between a $500 gun and a $1000 gun?

Nah, typically this rifle sells for $750 online, and more in most gun shops. This is a quality rifle, the only feature I would like to see on an AR that this one doesn't have is a chrome lined bore, and honestly I am not putting tens of thousands of rounds through my rifles, so that is just not that big of a deal for me. This is not your typical $500 AR, and will closer in quality to a $1000 rifle than other $500 rifles. Once again, I am not a fan of Rugers, and normally wouldn't give this model a second chance, there are lots of great options at this price point, that include things that this one doesn't (detachable carry handles, chrome bores, cheap sling, etc...), but at this price, it is an incredible value, and fan or not I can't deny that it is a high quality firearm.

CDNN is running a similar deal, at $499. I have had good results with them. https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-ar556-carbine.html Also, budsgunshop offers a price match feature, and they, too, have great service. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/148056 has a $480 price with free shipping. Check slickguns for best prices, too. You will see a few S&W versions being sold at the same price point!

A pretty amazing $499 alternative with free shipping that uses AK ammo and comes with free hard case is https://www.classicfirearms.com/ar-15-flat-top-bear-creek-ar15-762x39-caliber-a2#product_tabs_reviews  Classic has been a good vendor for me. No Ruger warranty, of course, and a few simple mods are suggested by the Reviewers to reliably fire cheap "Russian" steel ammo. 

Prices have been dropping quickly since Trump's election. Perhaps too many gun were stockpiled before the election, in anticipation of a Clinton win? Dunno...

what about the quality?

IMHO spdracer5g said it well: Quality on the S&W is probably good enough for a starter rifle. Heavy use may warrant eventual upgrades, but the bones of the Ruger should be fine, and the price is great. You could save maybe $80 and build your own, but no Ruger warranty, and maybe a headache for a first build.

If you are really,really on a budget, this $429 assembled Anderson is a bit of a steal: http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=411  Would be hard pressed to source the parts for much less, but they you have to add sights or optics or laser, which will add cost (try Amazon for deals on those.)

At $429, you are looking at the old price point for the AKs!  Pretty amazing, I'd say...

Sportsman's Outdoor SuperstoreTodd Underhill We can make the AR556 California compliant by installing a bullet-button (price is $19.99), as well as removing the 30 round magazines. 

Nice buy... I am waiting for a deal on a 22 Target pistol.

I read that you can do a price match at Cabellas? Anyone try that.

I assume they are a more reputable dealer than grab a gun, and you could go to a brick and mortar if you wanted to.

You will have to go to.a ffl anyway

Wads

FWIW, I have a Ruger 9mm and it works fine at the gun range for a while. Once it heats up it will jam and it's time to go home.  It's fine for my purposes because if I have that many people trying to get into my house at once I'm in a zombie apocalypse anyway.

food1313 said:   Don't hate me for saying this, but I pulled the trigger.

Thanks OP!

I am going to do more research before I jump the gun....

...have a great weekend everyone.

food1313 said:   Newb here.  How can the quality be that different between a $500 gun and a $1000 gun?

At $500, you're getting an absolute bottom basement gun.  It's built with the cheapest parts on the market and slapped together.  Will it fire?   Probably.   Will it shoot well?  Probably not.   At the $1000 price point, you can find better quality components that are going to last longer and be more reliable.  You typically see better fit and finish as well.  The gun looks better, feels better, fits together better and probably shoots better.   You'll get a higher quality barrel and better corrosion resistance.   Things like upgraded triggers will make a huge difference in a long range setup.    This not to say there isn't a market for $500 rifles.   Beginner shooters at short distances may not notice or care.  Just know you aren't ever going to the same quality in a bargain rifle that you're going to find in higher end ones.   Likewise, just because you spend the extra money doesn't mean you're automatically getting a better gun.  There are plenty of companies out there selling guns that should cost $500 for $1000 and a lot more.   They sell hype and marketing and still build crap.    If you stick to the name brand companies, however, you're generally going to get what you pay for.  For not much more you can find an M&P15, which is hard to beat for the money.  

wango Tango,,in for One..

LAwoodtiger said:   
food1313 said:   Don't hate me for saying this, but I pulled the trigger.

Thanks OP!

I am going to do more research before I jump the gun....

...have a great weekend everyone.

Don't shoot me for saying this but... I'll have to rifle through some old magazines to research this deal....

I own this gun and have bought at Grab-a-gun twice. Both GREEN!!!

Look for a used S&W Model 41 if you want a serious .22 Target pistol.  Be very patient, and be prepared to jump very quickly if you find one. Expensive, but they do not lose value.

This is a reply to TomN.

FWIW I have a friend with this rifle and I have shot it. The only issue is that it is NOT a "standard" AR and not all parts are interchangeable with stock parts. The bolt/upper in particular are "different." It fires very well, just don't plan to Swap the bolts or uppers around with another AR variant. (my guess is that it was to block anyone dropping in a full auto bolt, which is pretty silly given all the "standard" ARs in the market) The lower seemed to be stock though, so you could use a .300 or 5.7mm upper with it just fine.

Crazy! If I didn't live in the gun-hating Northeast, I'd be all over this deal. Green for you, OP!

I buy from them all the time.  Never a problem

I buy from them locally. They are nice guys and great prices, however I can see how they can be slow to ship. Their pricing is the best typically and they don't have a ton of staff.

FWIW, the full Ruger manual is freely posted here: http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/AR-556-Mt92d8ha1p5g....  Disappointing that their Warranty wording is vague, though everywhere I have checked online affirms that Ruger stands behind their guns and does rapid, free repairs for a long, long time. Re: RedWolfe01's assertion the upper (BCG, upper receiver, barrel) are non-standard, that would be a disappointment if true. The pictures in the official Ruger manual, and the videos Ruger have posted, show the BCG and upper receiver components "look" like normal, bare-bones AR15 parts! Since the lower is apparently "standard AR15," you are at least assured that about half your investment ($240) can be mated with other upper receivers or full uppers. Palmetto and others routinely sell (supposedly standard) upgraded complete uppers for $300 and up, with melonite, nitride and/or chrome components like barrels and BCGs, and improved hand guards. Therefore the Ruger lower could still a reasonable baseline platform for future improvement. Again, if past history holds true, if you DO have a warranty problem with their Ruger, and keep all the original components, at least you have a shot at having them repair it.  Re: overheating, as far as I know, any semiautomatic AR can be overheated to the point of jamming, especially the lighter ones with light barrels. As others have said in this thread, if you need a $1,000 rifle, then buy or build one! 

jjmIII said:   $455

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-556-semi-a...

good find. however, ur link is too long. use this link instead:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-556-semi-automatic-556-nato-161-barrel-30-rounds?a=1815207

dont forget to use fatwallets sister cashback site, ebates.com for another 2.5% back.

$455 is the price for buyer's club. membership is $40. u can join 30 day free trial and cancel.

evil black gun!!

good find. however, ur link is too long. use this link instead:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-556-semi-automatic-556-nato-161-barrel-30-rounds?a=1815207

dont forget to use fatwallets sister cashback site ebates for another 2.5% back.

$455 is the price for buyer's club. membership is $40. u can join 30 day free trial and cancel.

Buyer's Club Price (available for a nominal $39/year).

Newb question; If I buy this as a gift for my brother (FL), do I get the license, or will he?

irobot said:   

Newb question; If I buy this as a gift for my brother (FL), do I get the license, or will he?

Let him buy it and you can send him cash otherwise it could be a straw purchase if you buy for him. IMO never gift weapons!

irobot said:   

There is no licensing or registration of firearms in FL, you would have to have it shipped to a Federal Firearms License holder (a local gun store or pawnshop), there is typically a $15-50 charge for that service, the shop I use charges $25 per transaction, whether one gun or ten, I recently ordered a Beretta pistol, and a Ruger pistol, bought from two different places, picked up at the same time, paid a single fee of $25 to transfer both.

The transfer should include any charges for the background check. I also do not believe that FL has any sort of waiting or cooling off period, just the ATF for 4473, and NICS background check (the check typically takes no more than a few minutes, but sometimes gets delayed for up to three days), as long as there is no delay you can take the gun home, and then give it away as a gift to any person you wish with no additional paperwork being required. Some states have cockamamie laws that require all sorts of government permissions to exchange tools, but FL isn't one of them yet.

@drodge ... You are obviously a gun snob, and/or don't understand the needs of most (90%+) shooters. This rifle, the S&W MP Sport and similar rifles from reputable manufacturers will most definitely fire and fire well. Scare tactics like "you have to spend at least $1k for a decent gun" are totally false, and only serve to increase the profits of dealers making such statements.  

Ahhh why not - just ordered one from sportsman's

Drat. Had it in my cart at Sportsman's Guide and it sold out while I was working out FFL details. Shrug.

tuphat said:   @drodge ... You are obviously a gun snob, and/or don't understand the needs of most (90%+) shooters. This rifle, the S&W MP Sport and similar rifles from reputable manufacturers will most definitely fire and fire well. Scare tactics like "you have to spend at least $1k for a decent gun" are totally false, and only serve to increase the profits of dealers making such statements.  
  You clearly either didn't read my post or didn't understand it.  The poster I responded to asked what the difference is between a $500 rifle and a $1000 rifle.  That's the question I answered.  I own 2 SW AR's, including a sport.  I've owned a carbon 15, and several other cheap AR's.  I clearly stated that someone plinking cans will probably think any one of those is just fine.  That being said, I don't care what you do to it, it will NEVER shoot as accurately as other guns that cost more money.   In the $1000 range I can recommend a lot of rifles that will outperform anything you can buy or build for $500, 100% of the time.  That is no way says a $500 isn't a good buy for someone in that market.   Plenty of people will be completely satisfied with it.  However, it's not the question that was asked.   I've never owned this particular gun, but there are plenty of reasons to not recommend it,  I clearly stated that for only a few bucks more you can buy a S&W and it's a better gun.

S&W Sport II for $539

For an extra $39, I'd recommend the S&W over the ruger all day. It uses standard AR parts and is fully compatible with other aftermarket parts and upgrades. The free MBUS sight and PMAG are worth the difference in cost.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017