posted 2 months ago by
javaman2003
Thrifty Member

Costco has a 2 pack 50ft Outdoor extension cord rated 15amp. 12 guage or 12/3.

It even has the a light on the plug to indicate it the cable is "hot".

It is made of  copper. Very good value compared to HD or Lowes or HF.

Instore price is $28.99 after a $5 coupon.

17 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Are you sure it is copper? Copper at 12 gauge is rated for 20A, and this is rated for 15A. Probably aluminum, not copper.

rated:
frett said:   Are you sure it is copper? Copper at 12 gauge is rated for 20A, and this is rated for 15A. Probably aluminum, not copper.
Costco.com product page:
https://www.costco.com/Outdoor-50ft-Extension-Cord%2C-2-pack.product.100336733.html 
These 50 foot extension cords are made in the USA and contain 12 gauge copper which is rated up to 15 amps. The power indicator light in the receptacle end of the cord lets you know whether or not the cord has power. These cords are cUL rated for indoor or outdoor use with a jacket that is flexible and durable even in colder temperatures. The plugs are standard NEMA 5-15, which is compatible with two prong and three prong power tools.

The phrase "contain 12 gauge copper" could mean that there's other metal(s) in the mix too.

*EDIT* There's several product images listed on the Costco.com product page, one of which contains a chart based on gauge and length (see attached). According to the chart, 12 gauge copper is 20A when the length is under 50ft, 15A when it's 50ft - 100ft.

rated:
These are great cords, regardless of copper/metals, because they're soft and flexible in winter temps.  My other cords get stiff.

rated:
Excellent cords, copper wire, very durable. Price is unbeatable

rated:
They charge for shipping: $5.99 additional

rated:
Google express has this with free shipping.

rated:
I have the one 100FT, and 12AMP. Great quality, soft in winder. I use it with my snow blower.  Will check this out at local store

rated:
Thanks OP. Need these for an outdoor paint stripping project. 1500W heat guns. About half price over last time I looked

rated:
Great price, has anybody seen these in a Costco store?
And if so, was it priced the same?

rated:
UkeDoggie said:   Great price, has anybody seen these in a Costco store?

I bought them last year at normal Costc0 price of $35.

rated:
frett said:   Are you sure it is copper? Copper at 12 gauge is rated for 20A, and this is rated for 15A. Probably aluminum, not copper.
  The rating is because of the voltage drop due to length, not the heat-dissipation capability.
In other words, you could use this cord to carry 20A without risk of fire, but the voltage drop on a 50 ft length would be unacceptable for many motors. Undervoltage on motors can burn them out, since they can't develop the required torque to get up to speed.
Of course, whether this would happen to you depends on the exact voltage coming into your home, and also how far your electrical box is from your mains breaker (the wire in your wall will cause voltage drop as well).

rated:
Could you hook two of these up in parallel if you only need to occasionally to make a cheater heavy-gauge cord?

rated:
UkeDoggie said:   Great price, has anybody seen these in a Costco store?

I posted it after i saw it in my Costco store. It was located in front of the aisle(usually 2 products per aisle) in my Costco.

rated:
davedumontier said:   Google express has this with free shipping.
  got charged $4.99 shipping with  G express  

rated:
Bagofchips said:   Could you hook two of these up in parallel if you only need to occasionally to make a cheater heavy-gauge cord?
  Certainly, if you can find a plug that will do that. Of course, only to a max of 20A.
Good luck finding one....

rated:
Found tons of these available at a nearby Costco B&M. They were priced $29.99 AC (which is what they're listed for on-line), not $28.99 as the OP apparently found. Grabbed a set but haven't opened up the box yet. BTW, the box is rather heavy for extension cords!

rated:
davedumontier said:   Google express has this with free shipping.
  Thanks.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017