posted 17 days ago by
Virgil27
i am Nerd

Posted with ToGo

A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft on Audible
$3.95
http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/A-Vindication-of-the-Rights-of-Woman-Audiobook/B01AH8BXQO 

If the name "Mary Wollstonecraft" sounds familiar, you might know the author better as Mary Shelley - the author of "Frankenstein". I really liked her prose style in the seminal book, so I figured I'd check out this book, written in 1792. during the French Revolution, on sale today for $3.95.

8 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread had been placed under moderation to keep thread on topic. — Mar. 8, 2017 @ 4:32pm
rated:
Try the Youtube to get a feel for the book;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xQY0015bxg

rated:
smokeycatrules said:   Try the Youtube to get a feel for the book;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xQY0015bxg

Thanks for the link - it definitely has the 19th century prose, which is not for everyone . . . save for us literature nerds. 

rated:
Hey Virg,

I am used to seeing your Hot Deals postings for action figures,

and today I was speed-skimming through the hot deals of the last couple of weeks,

and out of the corner of my eye,
I saw the combination of
"Mary Wollstonecraft",
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman,
and
"Virgil27"

and I thought,

"WHA?"

Long ago, I read her Vindication pamphlet in one of my college classes
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Vindication_of_the_Rights_of_Woman )

and I have been several times to the 300-year-old church in London that she was attending at the time she wrote it
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newington_Green_Unitarian_Church )

and I think it's great that you would post this deal,
since you are a guy (at least I think you are a fella),
and seeing as how the "culture" of this site is a little... well, I can see that this thread had to be put under moderation, so I don't have to say more about that...

So, that's great.

---
Anyway, I just wanted to make a correction --

The Mary Wollstonecraft who married Percy Shelley and who wrote Frankenstein

is the DAUGHTER

of the Mary Wollstonecraft who wrote A Vindication of the Rights of Woman!

They are not the same woman.

Indeed, they hardly knew each other, because Mary the mother died only 11 days after the birth of Mary the daughter.

So if the writing style of the Vindication pamphlet diverged slightly from the flavor of Frankenstein, that's why!

---
Mother: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wollstonecraft

Daughter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Shelley

----

Thanks to people like Mary the elder, all the girls in our country are allowed to go to school.

It's now hard to imagine what the fuss was about, trying to keep females from being educated. 

from Wikipedia:

"Although it is commonly assumed now that the Rights of Woman was unfavourably received, this is a modern misconception based on the belief that Wollstonecraft was as reviled during her lifetime as she became after the publication of William Godwin's Memoirs of the Author of A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1798).
The Rights of Woman was actually well received when it was first published in 1792. One biographer has called it "perhaps the most original book of the century".

In it, Wollstonecraft responds to those educational and political theorists of the 18th century who did not believe women should have an education. She argues that women ought to have an education commensurate with their position in society, claiming that women are essential to the nation because they educate its children and because they could be "companions" to their husbands, rather than mere wives.
Instead of viewing women as ornaments to society or property to be traded in marriage, Wollstonecraft maintains that they are human beings deserving of the same fundamental rights as men."

rated:
oppidum said:   
Anyway, I just wanted to make a correction --

The Mary Wollstonecraft who married Percy Shelley and who wrote Frankenstein

is the DAUGHTER

of the Mary Wollstonecraft who wrote A Vindication of the Rights of Woman!

They are not the same woman.

Indeed, they hardly knew each other, because Mary the mother died only 11 days after the birth of Mary the daughter.

So if the writing style of the Vindication pamphlet diverged slightly from the flavor of Frankenstein, that's why!

Thanks for correcting me. I thought Mary Shelly may have published it under a different name. I didn't realize her mother was a writer as well.

rated:
Mary the younger had quite the adventurous life --

Lost her mom at the age of 11 days, had a stepmother she did not get along with, was sent away on her own to Scotland at age 15 (her dad wrote at the time, "I am anxious that she should be brought up ... like a philosopher, even like a cynic"),
got pregnant while an unmarried woman by Percy Bysshe Shelley, who was one of her dad's followers - he was a married man and they met up secretly at her mother's grave site in London, then they ran away together to France, leaving Shelley's pregnant wife behind.

She bohemian'ed around in Switzerland and Italy with Lord Byron and co, was a political radical, a hardworking author, a mother of 4 who lost 2 of her children in their childhood, had an "open marriage" where it was apparently her husband who utilized the "open" part, became a widow when her husband died in a shipwreck (and then Byron set fire to his body on the beach), lost her sister to suicide, lived in poverty trying to support her family as a single mother, helped one of her female friends to live in France as a man, was ostracized by her husband's rich family and prevented from using his last name in print after he died, and died herself at age 53 of a brain tumor after suffering from the effects of it (headaches and intermittent paralysis) for 12 years.

from Wikipedia:

"Shelley was particularly interested in "the fragility of individual identity" and often depicted "the way a person's role in the world can be cataclysmically altered either by an internal emotional upheaval, or by some supernatural occurrence that mirrors an internal schism".

In her stories,
female identity is tied to a woman's short-lived value in the marriage market
while male identity can be sustained and transformed through the use of money."

...and on that note, I will wrench my thoughts 200 years forwards, returning to the prosaic business of skimming Fatwallet....

rated:
oppidum said:   Mary the younger had quite the adventurous life --

Lost her mom at the age of 11 days, had a stepmother she did not get along with, was sent away on her own to Scotland at age 15 (her dad wrote at the time, "I am anxious that she should be brought up ... like a philosopher, even like a cynic"),
got pregnant while an unmarried woman by Percy Bysshe Shelley, who was one of her dad's followers - he was a married man and they met up secretly at her mother's grave site in London, then they ran away together to France, leaving Shelley's pregnant wife behind.

She bohemian'ed around in Switzerland and Italy with Lord Byron and co, was a political radical, a hardworking author, a mother of 4 who lost 2 of her children in their childhood, had an "open marriage" where it was apparently her husband who utilized the "open" part, became a widow when her husband died in a shipwreck (and then Byron set fire to his body on the beach), lost her sister to suicide, lived in poverty trying to support her family as a single mother, helped one of her female friends to live in France as a man, was ostracized by her husband's rich family and prevented from using his last name in print after he died, and died herself at age 53 of a brain tumor after suffering from the effects of it (headaches and intermittent paralysis) for 12 years.

from Wikipedia:

"Shelley was particularly interested in "the fragility of individual identity" and often depicted "the way a person's role in the world can be cataclysmically altered either by an internal emotional upheaval, or by some supernatural occurrence that mirrors an internal schism".

In her stories,
female identity is tied to a woman's short-lived value in the marriage market
while male identity can be sustained and transformed through the use of money."

...and on that note, I will wrench my thoughts 200 years forwards, returning to the prosaic business of skimming Fatwallet....

Don't forget all the wild parties with Lord Byron. Especially with their doctor friend John Polidori providing "party favors". 

rated:
Well now, that tidbit was not in Wikipedia! Hmmmm.

Was it drugs?

(I'm afraid I'm sort of half-naive at times!
Okay, sometimes there's no "half" about it, ha.)

Where did you learn the goss' on Polidori? A book, or has there been a movie about their set? I don't see many movies, or watch much tv.

I've been lucky enough to (entirely coincidentally) see a number of places where she lived/travelled... so I was gliding through personal memories while reading about her life tonight.

I've even been on the (main) beach in Viareggio, Italy (apparently somewhere along it is where Byron burned Shelley's body), and I didn't even realize that's where that had happened, until this evening.

Dreamy places. Ahh.

----
You should take a trip to Europe, Virg.

rated:
I'm not sure where I read that at. I remember reading that Polidori was something of the "hanger-on" in the group, and his medical hook-up was one of the reasons he kept getting invited to Geneva - though he and Byron did have a falling out, I believe over the vampire tale he later tried to publish.

I would love to go to Europe. It's definitely on my list of places to visit.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017