posted 2 months ago by
RobL
Senior Member - 1K

Deal has been up for weeks on SD. Yesterday I went to the Hartford corporate store and got the ZMAX Pro for $38 after porting in one of my free accts from Tello. Reports are that some are able to port a number from TextNow. The reason it was $38 instead of $30 (usual charge for lowest monthly plan of 1 gig LTE plus unlimited 3g) was that manager insisted on purchase of "extras" like insurance as a matter of store policy. Deal has been YMMV. Phone can be unlocked in 3 months even if you only pay for 1 month of service. There is a "device unlock" app right on the phone to accomplish this.

11 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — May. 29, 2017 @ 8:18am
rated:
how do you find out the corporate stores?

rated:
alexnguyenseattle said:   how do you find out the corporate stores?
  Go here https://www.metropcs.com/find-store.html. Some authorized dealers will give you the deal but most success has been reported with corporate stores.

rated:
RobL said:   
alexnguyenseattle said:   how do you find out the corporate stores?
  Go here https://www.metropcs.com/find-store.html. Some authorized dealers will give you the deal but most success has been reported with corporate stores.

the problem with authorized dealers is that most of them don't have the "good" devices in stock - I waited for 6 weeks to get LG Aristos for free when I ported from RingPlus - I literally called 30 stores in the Phoenix area and the stores seem to set their own policies on getting those free phones - some had $15 activation - some said only available on $50 plan or higher, and some said both, and MOST didn't have any or just 1 in stock  - I finally found a store that the owner wasn't a complete jackass and he was able to source 5 Aristo's for me. 

rated:
Unfortunately corporate stores are few and far between. Fortunately I had 1 10 minutes from whre I work. The ZTE ZMax phone itself is great. 6" screen, 32 gig internal memory, 2 gb ram. Worth $30-$40 if you can snare one.

rated:
I'll second going to a corp. store. I've had TERRIBLE luck with authorized dealers who make every excuse under teh sun why they can't do these "free phone" deals. They also make you wait forever.

rated:
Visited an auth dealer today just to look at phones. They had at least 30 of the ZTE Max in boxes stacked behind the counter. They offered the deal as well without add ons. Again, just looking. When I got home and read this thread, was sorry I did not bite, since the few stories here are pretty negative regarding the dealers.

Will call them tomorrow and confirm that I did not see a mirage.

rated:
RobL said:    Phone can be unlocked in 3 months even if you only pay for 1 month of service. There is a "device unlock" app right on the phone to accomplish this.
  Anyone that can confirm this?  If so, how does it work?  Simply do not pay bill for the extra 60 days? Wouldn't this void the "90 days of continuous service" rule?

Please clarify.

rated:
Can I port number from Tracfone or FreedomPop to get free phone ?

rated:
I just ported a number from freedom pop to Metro on this deal, also spent $15 for an eBay unlock.

I had to call freedom pop to get the PIN to port.

Porting from Ting was very easy.

ETA: The LG Style 2 Plus is also available on this deal, at least in this area.

rated:
can you put your service on "hold" after you activate. I have almost a month left on my Verizon prepaid phone (so i can unlock for post-paid), and would rather have the service begin when one ends.

rated:
ljderm said:   
RobL said:    Phone can be unlocked in 3 months even if you only pay for 1 month of service. There is a "device unlock" app right on the phone to accomplish this.
  Anyone that can confirm this?  If so, how does it work?  Simply do not pay bill for the extra 60 days? Wouldn't this void the "90 days of continuous service" rule?

Please clarify.

On that other slick site this has been repeatedly confirmed. Just don't pay the bill. The app just checks when your phone went into service. Obviously they could change policy so ymmv.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017