posted 2 months ago by
ragingwookiee
Senior Member - 7K

Posted with ToGo

Dell 28" Ultra HD 4K LED Widescreen Monitor, S2817QR
$299.99
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/773435/Dell-28-Ultra-HD-4K-LED/

Take your home entertainment experience to another level with 4K resolution and amazing audio. With

12 Comments
Add Comment
More deals in the official Office Depot coupon thread.
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — May. 27, 2017 @ 12:37am
rated:
4K monitors are finally coming down in price, but I don't see the benefit at 28" unless you plan to basically stick your face up against it. I'm still waiting for something more useful, like a 40" curved 4K monitor. (in this case, the curve is actually useful since it allows you to see the far edges of the large screen without fading). Maybe in a few years...

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   4K monitors are finally coming down in price, but I don't see the benefit at 28" unless you plan to basically stick your face up against it. I'm still waiting for something more useful, like a 40" curved 4K monitor. (in this case, the curve is actually useful since it allows you to see the far edges of the large screen without fading). Maybe in a few years...
It all depends on your needs. I have a Dell 28" 4K AND a Monoprice 27" 2560x1440 on my desk, at about 18" away. Can't overstate the sheer real estate the 4K offers. Super wide spreadsheets, CAD, multiple non-overlapping application windows, the list goes on. For me personally, hi-res is the single most important factor in a screen. Hence have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro (3200x1800) and an LG G4 (2560x1440). The LG may actually be a bit overkill with its 550 ppi resolution. At a few inches away its hard to make out anything over 300 ppi. Haven't tried it yet but it might help in a cardboard type VR setting.

rated:
amhidogha said:   
canoeguy1 said:   4K monitors are finally coming down in price, but I don't see the benefit at 28" unless you plan to basically stick your face up against it. I'm still waiting for something more useful, like a 40" curved 4K monitor. (in this case, the curve is actually useful since it allows you to see the far edges of the large screen without fading). Maybe in a few years...
It all depends on your needs. I have a Dell 28" 4K AND a Monoprice 27" 2560x1440 on my desk, at about 18" away. Can't overstate the sheer real estate the 4K offers. Super wide spreadsheets, CAD, multiple non-overlapping application windows, the list goes on. For me personally, hi-res is the single most important factor in a screen. Hence have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro (3200x1800) and an LG G4 (2560x1440). The LG may actually be a bit overkill with its 550 ppi resolution. At a few inches away its hard to make out anything over 300 ppi. Haven't tried it yet but it might help in a cardboard type VR setting.

It does offer 4x the real estate, but at the cost of crunching everything down to 1/4 size (if you use a regular-sized screen ie 28 inch). Even with high resolution, I would find it very difficult to read spreadsheets with letters that small. It sounds like a recipe for eyestrain, unless you get very close to the screen. I would think you need at least a 40" monitor to get a good balance of letter size and viewing distance.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
amhidogha said:   
It all depends on your needs. I have a Dell 28" 4K AND a Monoprice 27" 2560x1440 on my desk, at about 18" away. Can't overstate the sheer real estate the 4K offers. Super wide spreadsheets, CAD, multiple non-overlapping application windows, the list goes on. For me personally, hi-res is the single most important factor in a screen. Hence have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro (3200x1800) and an LG G4 (2560x1440). The LG may actually be a bit overkill with its 550 ppi resolution. At a few inches away its hard to make out anything over 300 ppi. Haven't tried it yet but it might help in a cardboard type VR setting.

It does offer 4x the real estate, but at the cost of crunching everything down to 1/4 size (if you use a regular-sized screen ie 28 inch). Even with high resolution, I would find it very difficult to read spreadsheets with letters that small. It sounds like a recipe for eyestrain, unless you get very close to the screen. I would think you need at least a 40" monitor to get a good balance of letter size and viewing distance.

And, most importantly bragging rights.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
amhidogha said:   

Also need a graphics card to push that resolution properly. 

rated:
Well, if you've ever seen 1080p blown up on a 27" monitor, you would understand how good 4k looks on 29" monitors.  Not needed for TV, but for monitors it is killer.

rated:
Wow! This is a great monitor with HDMI 2.0 and DP ports. It does support 4K@60Hz with speakers too. Thanks OP.

rated:
Any discount coupon?

rated:

rated:
I am so confused by the different sizes/resolutions. I have a 24" 1920x1200 Asus IPS monitor but I'd like to have a larger display to show two windows side by side. I do play games occasionally, but I have space to keep Asus for the games. I would watch video on the new display. I've been homing in on a 32/34" 2860x1400....I'm not interested in anything x 1080 on a larger display.  4K is appealing for pixel density/readability, but I think I read that some web pages/games don't resize well and may actually display on only 1/4 of a 4K screen. Does any of that make sense? As I said, I'm very confused. Can anyone help me...am I helpable?

rated:
ghstudio said:   I am so confused by the different sizes/resolutions. I have a 24" 1920x1200 Asus IPS monitor but I'd like to have a larger display to show two windows side by side. I do play games occasionally, but I have space to keep Asus for the games. I would watch video on the new display. I've been homing in on a 32/34" 2860x1400....I'm not interested in anything x 1080 on a larger display.  4K is appealing for pixel density/readability, but I think I read that some web pages/games don't resize well and may actually display on only 1/4 of a 4K screen. Does any of that make sense? As I said, I'm very confused. Can anyone help me...am I helpable?

Well it depends on what Operating System you are running. New OS such as Windows 10 if you are running a PC, or MacOS Sierra will automatically "scale" to fit the resolution. Think it this way... the OS knows you have more pixels so instead of displaying contents in the absolute (fixed amount of pixels) ratio, it will adjust accordingly to make the content displayed more clear. For example, on your 1080p display a text may use 8 pixels to display, on a 4k monitor (excuse my math), the OS may uses 4 times more pixels to display the same text to appear as the same size on your 1080p but in a more clear and refined way.

Hope that helps.

rated:
SteveDusa said:   
ghstudio said:   I am so confused by the different sizes/resolutions. I have a 24" 1920x1200 Asus IPS monitor but I'd like to have a larger display to show two windows side by side. I do play games occasionally, but I have space to keep Asus for the games. I would watch video on the new display. I've been homing in on a 32/34" 2860x1400....I'm not interested in anything x 1080 on a larger display.  4K is appealing for pixel density/readability, but I think I read that some web pages/games don't resize well and may actually display on only 1/4 of a 4K screen. Does any of that make sense? As I said, I'm very confused. Can anyone help me...am I helpable?

Well it depends on what Operating System you are running. New OS such as Windows 10 if you are running a PC, or MacOS Sierra will automatically "scale" to fit the resolution. Think it this way... the OS knows you have more pixels so instead of displaying contents in the absolute (fixed amount of pixels) ratio, it will adjust accordingly to make the content displayed more clear. For example, on your 1080p display a text may use 8 pixels to display, on a 4k monitor (excuse my math), the OS may uses 4 times more pixels to display the same text to appear as the same size on your 1080p but in a more clear and refined way.

Hope that helps.

That works, except for two issues:
1) The scaling (at least in Windows apps) is apparently not very good, and you end up with fuzzy letters
2) If you use 4x the pixels per letter, and make the letter the same size as before, you gain nothing in terms of real estate. You can display only as much info as you did at 1080p. If you want to show two windows side by side, you CANNOT use 4x the pixels per letter. The letters have to use the same number of pixels as at 1080p, and will thus be MUCH smaller on a similar-sized 4K screen (Half the size in each dimension). Even with high resolution, they will be hard to read unless the screen is huge or you stick your face right up against the monitor.

Since nobody wants to have their face 10 inches from the monitor to read tiny letters, the real benefit from 4K comes only with very large screens (ie 40"+). At those screen sizes, the pixels are large enough that the unscaled letters are a decent size at normal viewing distances. Then, you truly end up with 4x the real estate.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017