posted 1 month ago by
pennypatty

Best Buy has Apple - Mac mini – Intel Core i5 (1.4GHz) – 4GB Memory – 500GB Hard Drive - White for $399.99 w/ fs, bonus Kaspersky Internet Security included.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-mac-mini-intel-core-i5-1-4ghz-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-white/7814097.p?skuId=7814097  

15 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Apr. 24, 2017 @ 6:30am
rated:
Good deal, especially considering how well the Mac mini line holds it's value. Amazon is also selling this for $399.99. I actually opted for the the open-box deal at $355.99.

rated:
Excellent choice is like having a more complete computer than desktop in a smaller machine than a laptop.

rated:
I have had one since the summer of 2011....bought a 23" Monitor for $100
and its great...just add your mouse and keyboard.....silly to pay $1000 more for an iMac.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated:
This is not a good deal. These do not hold their value either. The 2012 model has held it's value with increase due to the ability to add a 2nd hard drive and upgrade the memory. The new mac mini's are total crap and a failure on Apple's part. I wouldn't even waste money on this for a starter computer for someone. Go on craigslist and find a 2012 model. Will last your longer and you can upgrade it. And FYI, I'm an all mac guy. Again, don't waist your money on this.

rated:
If you must have a Mac, then this is your cheapest entry point. However, I am not interested in paying $400 for a machine that has 4GB of RAM (not upgradeable), was released in 2014, and a 500GB hard drive.

Rant: I used to run exclusively Macs, but I think that Apple are obviously more interested in their Phone/Tablet business and have put computers on the back burner. So my house now uses 2-in-1 devices, like Dell Inspirons and Lenovo Yogas.

rated:
Its really not that great of a deal more so the open box, these should be cheaper and may be the last of the line for the Mac Mini's, Apple Mac MIni 500gb Refurb with 1 year warranty sells for 419.00 at the Apple Refurb Store. I rather buy direct from Apple then anything from BestBuy, almost everything I have gotten from them in the past being open box or geek recert failed to work and I had to stand in line for for over an hour 1 time so the tech can check the unit and say yea it's toast...

rated:
Note: Open Box for $352

This deal has been going on for 2+ weeks now. I got one of the open box ones 2 weeks ago, just to find out if it was as bad as people said. It was a yes-and-no situation. For light stuff, it runs perfectly fine. If you run something a bit more heavy (as defined as ~10 safari tabs open, or something similar), then what happens is the load causes the processor speedboost to stop and it drops down to it's 1.4Ghz base speed, while at the same time it's trying to compress memory to save what little it has left, while having to page out memory to the slow HD to free up space. At times, that makes it look like it's practically locked up, except the mouse cursor still moves. I returned it. (-> Good point on this: BB will basically take it back, no questions)

MacOS really needs 8G of memory anymore

rated:
Fine deal if you need a Mini.

rated:
stlouisblues said:   This is not a good deal. These do not hold their value either. The 2012 model has held it's value with increase due to the ability to add a 2nd hard drive and upgrade the memory. The new mac mini's are total crap and a failure on Apple's part. I wouldn't even waste money on this for a starter computer for someone. Go on craigslist and find a 2012 model. Will last your longer and you can upgrade it. And FYI, I'm an all mac guy. Again, don't waist your money on this.
  Can you upgrade the late 2009 models memory? It's just used for browsing and light office use so don't need extra HD space. Just wondering if it's worth keeping and bumping up the RAM or if it's too old. 

rated:
Reliable and user friendly. If someone who is used to having a zippy processor speed I suggest getting the more expensive mac.

rated:
Ugh......

The Mac mini used to be the best value out there in PCs. BUT...when they took away the ability to upgrade its RAM and hard drive, it went from hero to zero. Because a quad core, 3 GHz i7 with a platter hard drive will be outrun EVERY DAY, ALL DAY by a 2010 Core Duo with an SSD.

Ergo, PASS.

rated:
From the iFixit review:

"Unfortunately, the RAM is soldered to the logic board. This means that if you want to upgrade the RAM, you can only do so at time of purchase."

rated:
QuickWrench said:   Ugh......

The Mac mini used to be the best value out there in PCs. BUT...when they took away the ability to upgrade its RAM and hard drive, it went from hero to zero. Because a quad core, 3 GHz i7 with a platter hard drive will be outrun EVERY DAY, ALL DAY by a 2010 Core Duo with an SSD.

Ergo, PASS.

I agree. Not a great system.  I have the 2012 mac mini and it was running slow, so I put a SSD and increased RAM and voila, it can compete with my macbook air (2014).  If the new versions won't let you do this, then you are looking at a system that will last you 2, maybe luckily, 3 years before software updates make the mac mini a glorified paperweight.  

rated:
S197 said:   
stlouisblues said:   This is not a good deal. These do not hold their value either. The 2012 model has held it's value with increase due to the ability to add a 2nd hard drive and upgrade the memory. The new mac mini's are total crap and a failure on Apple's part. I wouldn't even waste money on this for a starter computer for someone. Go on craigslist and find a 2012 model. Will last your longer and you can upgrade it. And FYI, I'm an all mac guy. Again, don't waist your money on this.
  Can you upgrade the late 2009 models memory? It's just used for browsing and light office use so don't need extra HD space. Just wondering if it's worth keeping and bumping up the RAM or if it's too old. 

Yes.  Why not.  RAM isn't too expensive and could speed up you system a bit.  Then again, I've noticed if you are looking for speed, then changing the HD to SSD does wonders...

rated:
worked fine! thank you.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017