posted 3 months ago by
jwarias

M.R.E(Meal Ready To Eat) 6-Pack 
The 6-pack will include six of eight possible meals (spaghetti with meat and sauce, vegetable lasagna, beef ravioli with meat sauce, cheese tortellini with tomato sauce, chili and macaroni, sloppy joe filling, Asian-style beef strips with vegetables, and chicken breast with pasta and basil) and every pack includes a frosted brown sugar toaster pastry, two grape jelly packets, a Tootsie Roll, crackers, flameless ration heater, plastic spoon, napkins, seasonings, and waterproof clear bag.

4 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
The single most important bit of info is curiously omitted from the product listing. What date were these made? They mention shelf life but that means nothing if you don't know how old they are. Another fly-by-night website looking to cash in on people who don't pay attention.

rated:
These are not real U.S. military MREs.  Real MREs are 1250 calories each  These are stated "600+" calories per meal.

The military figures three MREs a day per person.  So six of these meals is one day of food for one person.

Not something to rely on for anything lasting longer than a day.  Save $14 and put six pop-top cans of ravioli in the car trunk instead.

rated:
You can't actually buy "real" US Military MREs. You can get close - i.e lots of components from the same manufacturers, but the genuine, complete US military ones are not for retail sale (at least not lawfully that I have ever found). So, everybody is selling an approximation of a military MRE.

Military planners figure on grown men is high exertion/stress situations, so they plan a lot of calories. If you are looking for something for a 72 hour kit, you probably don't need 4K calories a day. 600 is kind of light, but look at the components and see how they price out (I haven't looked at these in detail). My starting point for comparison was always Emergency Essentials (excellent supplier, but not always the cheapest). https://beprepared.com/mre-basic-emergency-backup-meal-emb-7-piece-pouch.html#  I haven't purchased from them in a while, but I think they are very honest and I always liked them.

As far as storage - MFG date is important, but how they have been stored is at least as important. If they are stored cool and dry, they will last for many years. Stored hot, they go downhill fast. Stored at hi temp (90F+), they last less than a year. Lots of MREs in Saudi went downhill pretty fast. Stored at 60F they can last 10 years or more. However, they don't all go bad at the same rate. we found several cases of 1989 mfg real US gov issue about two years ago. Had been stored in a location where they got to 80+ 3 months a year, but didn't freeze. Did a sample test with the boy scouts (not my idea) - Some things had gone rancid (freeze dried meat patties and cheese spread come to mind), but the brownies, freeze dried fruit, drinks, were fine. 

rated:
Someone has never been on eBay. You can buy legit military MREs from multiple countries including the USA on eBay

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017