posted 48 years ago by
pastorrichard

WalMart has the Acer Aspire XC-705 Intel Haswell Core i3 3.6Ghz Desktop PC, model no. AXC705UR55,  for 299 with free shipping.

Views
7 Comments
Add Comment
This machine gets the job done fine. Not the fastest thing in the world but for the money who cares. At this price point use it for a year to 18 months and then buy another one. My wife does some photo editing and the kids play a few random games on it all without problem.

bethpolg said:   This machine gets the job done fine. Not the fastest thing in the world but for the money who cares. At this price point use it for a year to 18 months and then buy another one. My wife does some photo editing and the kids play a few random games on it all without problem.
  You don't need to spend $300 for that!
Go on eBay, and get a used machine for $100. For the apps you're using it for, you wouldn't notice the difference.
I got an i5 with 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB drive off eBay for $100, and that was half a year ago. They'll be even cheaper now.

i just got an i5 8gb 500gb harddrive for 140 on eBay i business desktop also, better quality than a personal computer

not all i3's and i5 are the same.... there are 6 generations out there. for $100, you probably bought an original generation i5. a modern i3 has double the processing power as an original i5 from 2010.

The deal is a good one if you want a slim desktop. Considering the CPU is $130 and windows 10 costs $100... you can't build that thing for any less than $300, so in that case it's a pretty decent deal

robstahl21 said:   not all i3's and i5 are the same.... there are 6 generations out there. for $100, you probably bought an original generation i5. a modern i3 has double the processing power as an original i5 from 2010.

The deal is a good one if you want a slim desktop. Considering the CPU is $130 and windows 10 costs $100... you can't build that thing for any less than $300, so in that case it's a pretty decent deal

My i5, that I got in the $100 PC,  is a 3rd gen. It's approx equal to the speed of the i3 in this "Hot Deal". Not that it matters. Any speed difference between i3, i5, i7 of any of the generations is completely undetectable when you're using home-based apps (surfing the net, viewing videos, running Microsoft Office).

Save your money and buy a used PC from eBay like I did. Then spend $100 of it on a decent SSD. Your PC will be FAR faster.

they are all negligible indeed for casual web browsing.... and anything remotely intensive is going to be held up by the HDD.
I would do what you did... but remember 99% of the population can't clone the drive and then Swap it onto an SSD and install it... this is FatWallet... not TomsHardware :0

robstahl21 said:   they are all negligible indeed for casual web browsing.... and anything remotely intensive is going to be held up by the HDD.
I would do what you did... but remember 99% of the population can't clone the drive and then Swap it onto an SSD and install it... this is FatWallet... not TomsHardware :0

I would just get a copy of Windows 10, and do a clean install on the SSD. Then format the HDD. That gets rid of whaetever malware the previous user may have left on the HDD.
Most people should be able to handle that. All they have to do is download the program, or buy a DVD for $10 from microsoft. The formatting is a single command.
The newer computers have the product keys embedded in BIOS, so they don't even need to find those.

I think the physical install may be more challenging, but most people can figure out how to connect a cable to the SSD.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017