posted 27 days ago by
mbrenner

If you are looking for a fairly high performance folding bicycle with decent components this is a very good deal.   These were sold by Performance Bicycles for $ 579.99 in 2015.   They are light and well built, with 451x28mm wheels they are much more of a road bike experience than most folding bikes that use lower pressure wider tires with more of a mountain bike/comfort bike feel.   There is really not much at all like it for near the price.   This vendor seems to buy lots of overstock or gray market and sells at very discounted prices.   The 1.3 and 4.0 models (lower spec gearing) are less expensive at only $284, but the better crank, freewheel and derailer will be worth the difference to people looking for better performance.  I purchased 2 of them and am happy with the product. Shipping is free.  

http://www.randombikeparts.com/collections/folding-bikes/products/42cm-fuji-origami-1-1-20-folding-city-travel-bike-20-shimano-8s-black-new 

16 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Green for both the bike and the randomness of it all.

rated:
3.0 vs 1.3... 1.3 is slightly heavier, with a steel fork. 3.0 has aluminum fork, different brand brake levers, and 'unbranded' rims. Some other components have changed descriptions, but it's unclear if there are any differences. Can't really tell if one is supposed to be overall better than the other, or not...

rated:
Bikes are like $80 at any normal retailer now, so how is this hot ?

rated:
polishdreamer said:   Bikes are like $80 at any normal retailer now, so how is this hot ?
  Bikes, like cars, lunch, computers come in a variety of sizes, capabilities and quality.   There are bicycles that cost $80 and some that cost $2000.   The existence of the $80 one does not effect the underlying quality or value of the $2000 one, just as the existence of the least expensive Kia does not impact the   worth of a Corvette.   For some people the Kia is actually a better option, (perhaps even at the same price), but for others seeking performance the Kia isn't going to be the car for them, even though you can buy close to 5 of them for the price of a Corvette.   

rated:
mbrenner said:   
polishdreamer said:   Bikes are like $80 at any normal retailer now, so how is this hot ?
  Bikes, like cars, lunch, computers come in a variety of sizes, capabilities and quality.   There are bicycles that cost $80 and some that cost $2000.   The existence of the $80 one does not effect the underlying quality or value of the $2000 one, just as the existence of the least expensive Kia does not impact the   worth of a Corvette.   For some people the Kia is actually a better option, (perhaps even at the same price), but for others seeking performance the Kia isn't going to be the car for them, even though you can buy close to 5 of them for the price of a Corvette.   

No mention of Crown Victoria's?!

rated:
exppii said:   3.0 vs 1.3... 1.3 is slightly heavier, with a steel fork. 3.0 has aluminum fork, different brand brake levers, and 'unbranded' rims. Some other components have changed descriptions, but it's unclear if there are any differences. Can't really tell if one is supposed to be overall better than the other, or not...
  There are 4 Origami bikes available from that vendor.   1.1 and 3.0 are similar and 1.3 and 4.0 are similar.    The 3.0 and 4.0 are a model year older.   Fuji had a different numbering scheme than.   They over time produced a 1.0, 2.0,  3.0 and 4.0.  The 1.0 was really high end, front double chain rings, carbon fiber fork, the 2.0 was also fairly high and expensive as well.   As far as I can tell the "x.0" bikes were not officially imported into the US.    These bikes were discontinued and the 1.1 was brought out, replacing the 3.0 and the 1.3 was brought out replacing the 4.0.   

I have a 3.0 and the similar 1.1.   The only differences are the 1.1 has a steel fork vs aluminum on the 3.0 but the hand grips and seat are nicer on the 1.1.  I think the rims may be the same but the "branded ones" have stickers on them.   Weight is listed as higher on the 1.1 but not something I noticed riding them or carrying them.    Breaks frame and other parts seem identical.  I'd really have to get out a scale to see if there is actually a weight difference.  Bicycle advertised weights can be like laptop battery life, it can be fudged a bit in the specs, by not including things like pedals, reflectors etc in the spec.

The 1.3 and the 4.0 will have the same frame, fork as the 1.1.   The difference is that the derailer, rear hub, free wheel, shifter and crank are higher quality.   I don't know if the 1.3 has the nicer hand grips like the 1.1 does, but grips are cheep, I'm swaping them out on my 3.0.   

There is also the option to buy the light blue/white 3.0 which costs less than the black 3.0 or the 1.1 models.  Same bike, not as an appealing color to many as the others.  Mine is this color.   It's not a very traditionally masculine paint scheme, at least in the west, but I saved some money and don't really form my gender identity from my bike's paint scheme.  To others this would be a bad trade off, as it's a creamy sort of blue, and folding bikes, when parked next to standard road or mountain bike look a bit like kids bikes, because of the 20" wheels.  My wife who is 6' has a large mountain bike and when we go somewhere and park the bikes, it does look like she's out with a child.  The 1.1 black/blue is really nice and serious looking if this sort of thing is important to you.   

The point behind these things is that you can fold them and take them places you can't take a regular bike - trains, up stairs, store safe in a closet or office.    The value of these particular ones, is that the sacrifice in riding experience over a road bike is less than most folding bikes.   

rated:
I should add that these are made to be nice road bike like, not comfort bike like.  So the tires are thin, the seat is thin and fairly hard, the riding position is road bike like not upright, and having thin high pressure tires, the breaks are very progressive.  I.e. The don't have a lot of stopping power with a light squeeze.   If you are coming off a high end road bike you will like this.  

These things are much easier to pedal quickly than most other common folding bikes, but if you want a nice folding bike with a comfort bike like ride quality, look at something like a Dahon Mariner.

rated:
nomonies said:   
mbrenner said:   

No mention of Crown Victoria's?!

I certainly would have mentioned the Crown Vic, as the natural bridge between the Kia and Corvette, but they are out of production since 2011, and there isn't any NOS around.   

rated:
If you need to request a referral, please do so here- https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1364211/

rated:
Anyone have any experience with the Sundeal bikes at the bottom of the folding bike page (F1 & F2)? Looking for more of a casual rider that can be easily carried and stored. Disk brakes and wider tires look attractive, but never heard of the brand, and can't find any reviews.

rated:
save10  will knock 10% off the prices at Random Bike Parts.

rated:
The gear ratios on the 1.1 and 3.0 are 52 x 11-28 (8 speed) and on the 1.3 and 4.0 its 48 x 14-28 (7 speed).    So you have taller gears on the 8 speed model and just a bit lower capabilities on the 7 speed model.   As these bikes have smaller wheels, it seems like the taller gearing may be more desirable.

rated:
clunk said:   Anyone have any experience with the Sundeal bikes at the bottom of the folding bike page (F1 & F2)? Looking for more of a casual rider that can be easily carried and stored. Disk brakes and wider tires look attractive, but never heard of the brand, and can't find any reviews.
  My guess is that this brand is locally sold in Asia.   In the bicycle business there are a large number of brand names that are owned or licensed to Chinese companies.   Many of these were well known brands, like Schwinn, Motobecane etc, that were American, or European.  

So a good practice is to look at the components and features of the bike and decide if you are getting a good value.   Also even if you buy an actual American, European or Japanese "brand name" bike they may have contracted that model to a Chinese manufacturer, so you are basically getting a generic Chinese bicycle anyway.   This is particularly true for lower priced items, and not just bicycles.   Also Chinese manufacture does not necessarily mean bad.  There is certainly some low priced poor quality crap, but there is some very high spec, nicely done things coming out of there too.   The politics of the situation I will leave to other forums.       

rated:
always my type.

rated:
Is there a carrying bag or protective cover with this folding bike?

rated:
11 kilos is quite light.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017