https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883105007... X Windows 10 Intel Mini PC (Turbo 2.25 GHz), Fanless, Dual HD Display, HD Audio, Silent Wireless IoT Solution, VESAbuy a mSATA internal drive for internal storage expansion!! 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&...

16 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Apr. 24, 2017 @ 12:24pm
rated:
nice little box, runs kodi fine. can easily play bluray rips at full 1080p and with original audio pass through.
I have the non win 10 version, installed my own win 10 pro (64 bit) on it. 

rated:
RAM is 2GB and can't be upgraded - that's very limiting. So is the inability to have even one 2.5" local hard drive for storage. I'm sure this would work well for some things but it's not quite enough for me.

rated:
I have few of these around connecting to different things and I just use teamster to remote control them

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   RAM is 2GB and can't be upgraded - that's very limiting. So is the inability to have even one 2.5" local hard drive for storage. I'm sure this would work well for some things but it's not quite enough for me.
  Thanks you kept me from buying.  Just need a basic non-gaming Win device for 11 yr old.  I might never need to upgrade but want to be able.

rated:
The passmark on the Celeron N2808 is 938 which puts it in my "avoid" category. This thing will decode 1080p blueray because blueray uses a moderate h264 level of 4.1, even the Amazon fire stick could decode blueray, it is hardware accelerated. But not everything downloaded off the net is so clean, many videos encoded unofficialy like anime and tv shows use higher levels. Lets not even get into rendering softsubs.

If an Amazon firestick can play what you need, so can this, otherwise you don't have much raw power behind it to brute force your way somewhere in software. Personally I went with a mini pc that had an i3 in it. Nothing special, the i3 runs super cool (ulv cpu) and has enough grunt to software decode everything except 4k HEVC. Yea saddly if I decide to jump into 4k, it will need to be replaced.. but considering all of my anime is downloaded in 720p still it is not high on my "care" list.

rated:
You can compare a processor technology like that... it does not work like that anymore. Its a simple reason why your 500 phone have really poor processor but work really well !!

rated:
That processor is slow by any measure. Just be aware of what you're buying.

rated:
Devilskyvin said:   You can compare a processor technology like that... it does not work like that anymore. Its a simple reason why your 500 phone have really poor processor but work really well !!
  No, you really can compare them like that even still.  A phone processor is designed for a phone, not for a PC.  Just like you can't compare the performance of a lawnmower engine to the engine of a car - they are designed for different things.

This Celeron will be pretty slow in a PC.  I have a CPU about the same benchmark in a little media PC.  It works OK for that it is, but it is certainly not speedy.  And it's not doing 1080p, even.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   
Devilskyvin said:   You can compare a processor technology like that... it does not work like that anymore. Its a simple reason why your 500 phone have really poor processor but work really well !!
  No, you really can compare them like that even still.  A phone processor is designed for a phone, not for a PC.  Just like you can't compare the performance of a lawnmower engine to the engine of a car - they are designed for different things.

This Celeron will be pretty slow in a PC.  I have a CPU about the same benchmark in a little media PC.  It works OK for that it is, but it is certainly not speedy.  And it's not doing 1080p, even.

r u telling itsme13 is lying?
itsme13 said:   nice little box, runs kodi fine. can easily play bluray rips at full 1080p and with original audio pass through.

rated:
microkelvin said:   
ahallfatwallett said:   

itsme13 said:   nice little box, runs kodi fine. can easily play bluray rips at full 1080p and with original audio pass through.

No, please read carefully.  I said MY BOX isn't doing 1080p - it has a slow CPU that works fine for what I use it for, even if it seems sluggish.  I have no idea if it can do 1080p.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   
microkelvin said:   
ahallfatwallett said:   

No, please read carefully.  I said MY BOX isn't doing 1080p - it has a slow CPU that works fine for what I use it for, even if it seems sluggish.  I have no idea if it can do 1080p.

but u said this celeron will be slow in a pc>

rated:
This is ~2-3x more powerful than a fire stick (it's close to the N2820 in the link below). It handles netflix, youtube, and whatever else as far as I can tell. It also idles at 2+W with all the power saving features enabled in linux, which is crazy good for any x86 based computer. I think I paid about $65+ for the 2gb/0gb version, and a used 256gb msata ssd was ~$50. This is a pretty good deal if someone needs the windows license, but there are better deals if that's not a requirement.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_baytrai... 

I imagine someone could drop in a broadcom crystal hd card into the half-height mini pcie port for video encoding if they really wanted hardware video decoding and use one of the usb 2 ports for wifi, and the usb 3.0 port should be ok for an external drive.

rated:
I did this same deal a while ago. Never received my rebate.

rated:
lyeinyoureye said:   This is ~2-3x more powerful than a fire stick (it's close to the N2820 in the link below), but yeah, it'll struggle with 720p on youtube, and don't even think about 1080p. With that said, I have one and it's pretty neat. It idles at 2+W with all the power saving features enabled in linux, which is crazy good for any x86 based computer. I think I paid about $65+ for the 2gb/0gb version, and a used 256gb msata ssd was ~$50. This is a pretty good deal if someone needs the windows license, but there are better deals if that's not a requirement.

I imagine someone could drop in a broadcom crystal hd card into the half-height mini pcie port for video encoding if they really wanted hardware video decoding and use one of the usb 2 ports for wifi, and the usb 3.0 port should be ok for an external drive.

can you point me to videos on youtube which you think this will struggle, I can give them a try and test them. I watched tons of videos on you tube in 1080p resolution.  They all played fine.
Tired it both via Firefox and Kodi. 4k videos do struggle, but I think the limitation here is not the CPU but the eMMC.

rated:

of course u can run kodi fine on any weak systems. 

playing bluray rips over ethernet doesnt mean much.

why on earth u do install a 64bit on a 2gig ram system. it doesnt really make anything faster or utilize any memory rams.

people complained on 720p youtube. what do you use this stick/box for? 

rated:
itsme13 said:   
lyeinyoureye said:   This is ~2-3x more powerful than a fire stick (it's close to the N2820 in the link below), but yeah, it'll struggle with 720p on youtube, and don't even think about 1080p. With that said, I have one and it's pretty neat. It idles at 2+W with all the power saving features enabled in linux, which is crazy good for any x86 based computer. I think I paid about $65+ for the 2gb/0gb version, and a used 256gb msata ssd was ~$50. This is a pretty good deal if someone needs the windows license, but there are better deals if that's not a requirement.

can you point me to videos on youtube which you think this will struggle, I can give them a try and test them. I watched tons of videos on you tube in 1080p resolution.  They all played fine.
Tired it both via Firefox and Kodi. 4k videos do struggle, but I think the limitation here is not the CPU but the eMMC.

I had some trouble with netflix (some weird error) and a frontline video on PBS, but I tried everything out again (netflix, pbs, youtube) without any issues, so I'm guessing that was just user error (pebcak). Thanks for the heads up!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017