Posted with ToGo

XYZprinting da Vinci Jr. 1.0 FFF (Fused Filament Fabrication) PLA Single Nozzle 3D Printer
$179.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828840017

• PLA Filament
  • 1.75 mm Filament Diameter
  • Up to 5.9 x 5.9 x 5.9 inches Build Volume
  • 100 - 400 microns Layer Thickness
  • USB 2.0, SD card (32G MAX)
  • Auto-loading Filament

• Views
    3 Comments
    Add Comment
    The printer has a push button release for easy extruder replacement or cleaning experience.

Reviews don't look encouraging. The deal-breaker for me is that this printer locks you into using proprietary filament (and proprietary software).

I have this printer, it prints well - honestly I was pretty impressed with the sample, and a couple other things we have done. No heated bed but there are mods floating around.  It printed out of the box, I didn't have to do any significant tweaking to make it work - which is great for our first foray into 3d printing.

The proprietary PLA filament (about 150% more expensive - Monoprice generic is $20/1kg and xyz retails at $29/600g) is metered and enforced via NFC. There are workarounds but you have to keep an older firmware, which now means you can't use the latest XYZ software - and the alternatives have other downsides*. Practically I am about 75% sure that I will update the firmware and be locked into the XYZ ecosystem, since really only the kids are using it for random stuff and so far it's been pretty small.

For the price? Maybe. I think I paid $200 around Christmas; since we don't use a lot of filament I've not broken the magic $299 price point that would have gotten us a better model. An up side is that filament is available at retail stores (our local BN has a variety) so if you don't print a lot it's not as bad as it might seem. The kids have enjoyed it, and I like it when they do technically demanding things - win-win.

* You can supposedly use simplify3d, which I gather is an awesome $150 program.** However I have not used it, only the official XYZ program, which is dinky but functional for printing. I understand you can also slice with slic3r and some Python script onto an SD card but again I have not done it. There is sporadic work on a custom firmware port; if that came to fruition other doors would open up.

** It is probably not fatwallet-y of me to say that I almost bought S3D last weekend when my daughter was trying to build something, rather than lock myself into the XYZ ecosystem with a firmware upgrade. I instead put her off for the week, so I may still shell out for it. The irony that I probably won't save even $100 over the life of the printer is not lost on me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
    Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
    © 1999-2017