posted 48 years ago by
sammycornelius

Back to the best price I have seen for these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZIRV39M/

$199 is a great deal on a great smart thermostat. I love the remote sensors. They take up for some design flaws in my HVAC system.

Views
13 Comments
Add Comment
Far better than Nest. The HVAC service company I use told me they take out more Nests than they put in. Ecobee's support system is excellent. I had a tech put my Ecobee in, but it could be done as a DIY. We bought 2 extra sensors, and they work really well in our 1700 sq ft, single-level home.

seems to be dead... only avail from 3rd party sellers

Surprised this is still a good price for this thing, but regardless this thing is an excellent thing.

It's been years and the price of these and Nests hasn't really dropped at all; surprised Google hasn't stepped in with something at a more reasonable pricepoint. Also Honeywell needs to step up their game; they have Wifi thermostats at decent price points but the aesthetics are very dated looking.

Doesn't look dead to me. I still see "Shipped from and sold by Amazon.com". The extra sensor bundle is also on sale, which I bought. Been trying to get one of these for months. Stay away from third party Amazon sellers for Nest and this. Not sure what is going on but for both people seem to be setting up fake shops with super low prices ($99 for example) and then canceling your order the next day. This happened to me several times. Not sure what the sellers are getting out of it.

Deal is still alive. I've had an Ecobee3 for 2 years now, LOVE IT!

The only thing that sucks is that Ecobee never ever implements new features that people suggest. For example, there is IFTTT integration, but the number of actions/triggers is *really* limited, and not a single one has been added in the last 2 years.

But hey, even with its existing feature set, it's totally worth the price of admission.

I don't really understand what I would use this for. I have a 3 zone heating system and a 1 zone A/C, all with separate thermostats. Would I need 4 of these?

ArmchairArchitect said:   It's been years and the price of these and Nests hasn't really dropped at all; surprised Google hasn't stepped in with something at a more reasonable pricepoint. Also Honeywell needs to step up their game; they have Wifi thermostats at decent price points but the aesthetics are very dated looking.
  Or Amazon.  They probably will, an Echo widget. Though I think you could integrate it with Echo anyway?

Love the idea of these, but without being able to control dampers to control flow...I don't see the point. Sure they can see when a hot room is hot, but how does it do anything about it without overcooling the other rooms? Any owners want to chime in? Thanks.

glenatuf said:   Love the idea of these, but without being able to control dampers to control flow...I don't see the point. Sure they can see when a hot room is hot, but how does it do anything about it without overcooling the other rooms? Any owners want to chime in? Thanks.
We have one cooling and one heating zone. Our bedroom temperature can be 4-6 degrees different than the thermostat temperature (colder in winter, warmer in summer).
With the ecobee, we have the evening/night temperature controlled by the sensor in our bedroom. Works perfectly.

Sure, there are limitations on what it can do, but you can set it to set the temperature based on what room is occupied or average between sensors or use a specific sensor at a certain time of day. I think those settings work for a lot of people & situations.

It's not going to fix a case that would only be solved by dampers or a situation where multiple zones are needed instead of one.

I have 4 of them, 2 at home, 2 at businesses. I am going to buy 2 more for another business. One business we are going to use the free cooling feature which operates a damper to use the cold air outside. Instead of those old stupid economizers, the smart weather station combined with the remote sensors will allow us to keep the AC from having to turn on to bring the room down to temp. Only problem I've had with these is that when remote sensors are used in the same location, 2 thermostats will pair with the same sensor. But there is a reset procedure that seems to fix it if anyone runs into this problem PM me.

Is it worth upgrading to an Ecobee over a programmable (non-wifi) thermostat?

Dragonsnack said:   Is it worth upgrading to an Ecobee over a programmable (non-wifi) thermostat?
That depends. I found it to be worthwhile. I like that I can update/override the temperature at any time. For example, if we leave for a weekend trip and I forget to put it on away mode, I can just open the app and do so. Or, if we're on our way back from a trip and I want to heat/cool the house to the right temperature for when we arrive I can do that easily.

Those kind of things aren't worth it for everyone, but it's worth it for me. YMMV.

BTW - Those are the kind of things any wifi thermostat can do, not just ecobee.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017