guilty1 said:   https://www.walmart.com/ip/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-3.0-Cable-Modem-Refurbished/44684748
  I taught my grand kids, not to buy any Refurbished Modems or Routers.

microkelvin said:     I taught my grand kids, not to buy any Refurbished Modems or Routers.
Not a completely unreasonable general rule, although if the most likely problems with these modems are such that they would show themselves without undue delay, and if WalMart's return policy happens to be good, I could see taking a chance given the low price.

I do not know whether the problems would necessarily be evident in short order, nor what WalMart's return policy happens to be on refurbed modems, which is why I said "if." I'm guessing the big fear might be that if the modem was connected to an account which was delinquent, and as a consequence of this the modem were somehow "locked out," its new owner might not find it easy/possible to get the lock out undone. Or something like that.

FWIW, I'm using a refurb sb6141, right this minute. Never had any problems with it. My ISP is Comcast, Internet level is Blast (got upgraded to this tier at no extra charge - long story). Location is Baltimore County, MD. And Speedtest.net reports I'm seeing 237 Mbps download speed, which I find to be far more than satisfactory. (Using a VPN - which I normally do - would cost me some speed, but it'd still easily be fast enough for my purposes.) Upload speed is just a fraction of that, but such is the nature of things. I figure I'll keep using the sb6141 until inexpensive 1000+ Mbps speeds become commonly available where I live/work, at which point I'll upgrade to a modem better suited to such performance levels. In the meantime, this <$30 refurbed sb6141 should remain a fine choice.

WalMart has a 15-day return policy on electronics (which this item would fall under IMO). They also sell a "care plan" (two year protection) for $2. This might be well worth it for this product and is a small cost for peace of mind on an inexpensive refurbished product.

12345Michael54321 said:   
microkelvin said:     I taught my grand kids, not to buy any Refurbished Modems or Routers.
Not a completely unreasonable general rule, although if the most likely problems with these modems are such that they would show themselves without undue delay, and if WalMart 's return policy happens to be good, I could see taking a chance given the low price.

I do not know whether the problems would necessarily be evident in short order, nor what WalMart 's return policy happens to be on refurbed modems, which is why I said "if." I'm guessing the big fear might be that if the modem was connected to an account which was delinquent, and as a consequence of this the modem were somehow "locked out," its new owner might not find it easy/possible to get the lock out undone. Or something like that.

FWIW, I'm using a refurb sb6141, right this minute. Never had any problems with it. My ISP is Comcast, Internet level is Blast (got upgraded to this tier at no extra charge - long story). Location is Baltimore County, MD. And Speedtest.net reports I'm seeing 237 Mbps download speed, which I find to be far more than satisfactory. (Using a VPN - which I normally do - would cost me some speed, but it'd still easily be fast enough for my purposes.) Upload speed is just a fraction of that, but such is the nature of things. I figure I'll keep using the sb6141 until inexpensive 1000+ Mbps speeds become commonly available where I live/work, at which point I'll upgrade to a modem better suited to such performance levels. In the meantime, this <$30 refurbed sb6141 should remain a fine choice.

they dont refurbish any modems or routers. they just resold whats been returned. someday they may got sued for mislabeling.

would a care plan actually work on refurbs?

etothex said:   would a care plan actually work on refurbs?
If they'll sell it to you on a refurb, I suspect it'd work on a refurb.

12345Michael54321 said:   
etothex said:   would a care plan actually work on refurbs?
If they'll sell it to you on a refurb, I suspect it'd work on a refurb.

You will see the add care plan button right above the add to cart button for the product. I dont see why the plan will not apply to the refurb.

wm dit com, always has a return time about 2 months away, look at your purchase from it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017