posted 48 years ago by
drodge
Norton's Ghost

Smith and Wesson currently has a mail-in $75 rebate on all shield's.  Sportman's Online Superstore has them on sale from $315 - $319.  This brings the AR price to as low as $239.  They have several models to choose from, all at great prices.  I've purchased several firearms here in with no problems at all. 

Link to .40 

Link to 9mm 

List of all available Shields 

They also have various state-compliant versions for slightly more.

Views
33 Comments
Add Comment
Great price.

The OP link has free shipping, the link you provided says 
Shipping Priority Mail$35.00

That makes the OP link the much better price.

fatsavings said:   Much better price:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/637930851 

Not really: Gunbroker charges $35.00 for shipping, free shipping for https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/Thanks OP!!!!

Which one would you recommend for a concealed carry for my wife?

I keep trying to talk myself into a .40, but that seems too hot for a gun this size.

"Which one would you recommend for a concealed carry for my wife?"

The one she's tried at a range and decided is comfortable for her hands, not one bought because it's cheap in an online deal. She has to try a wide variety to find the one that works best for her. Could be the Shield, could be a Glock, could be a Sig, could be a Springfield XDs. There are a lot of single stack options, and fit/feel in hand matters far more than saving a few bucks.

There's a good FAQ entry in the Reddit /r/guns group about this, check out https://np.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/4umr4o/eli5_what_gun_shoul...

2cheap2ignore said:   Which one would you recommend for a concealed carry for my wife?

I used to have this 38 as back up, small but tight grip but should be good for female,   $199 after $50 rebate is great deal   38

I'm still looking for a 22LR Target pistol. Too bad none of the rebates are on the 22's.

yeeeeeeeeees. thanks op

comodosky said:   
2cheap2ignore said:   Which one would you recommend for a concealed carry for my wife?

I used to have this 38 as back up, small but tight grip but should be good for female,   $199 after $50 rebate is great deal   38

From GOOGLE: A .38 Special bullet and a .380 bullet are not the samediameter. ... A .380 bullet is, however, the samediameter as a 9mm Parabellum bullet. Oh, and a .38Special bullet is the same diameter as a .357 Magnum bullet, which is named for its exact diameter.

Also remember diameter isn't everything. A 22LR bullet is almost the same diam. as an AR-15 .223

Our 380 ammo is also called "9mm kurz", which is German for "short"

dogmeat said:   I keep trying to talk myself into a .40, but that seems too hot for a gun this size.
  I have the shield in 45 for CC. Not too hot to handle in a pistol this small. S&W did a fine job when they designed M & P line. My daughter who weighs 125 loves to shoot it.

CC is really a personal thing.  I recommend that she test a few different guns at a local range before a purchasing.  If she is not comfortable with a weapon, she may not actually carry it or even practice with it.  In that case, you're not really "saving" any money.

I have handled and fired these, 40 isn't hard to handle with one. 9MM is even easier.

As for what your wife will like, hard to say, years ago I bought my wife a Glock 19, she hates it, went to an airweight 38, liked it but just barely. We went to the range with my brother, he took an old P08 Luger, she tried it and that is what she carried for years. Eventually she was shooting an old GI 1911, and the next day bought a compact 1911 from Kimber.

To this day she either carries her Kimber in 45 or her Beretta 84 in 380.

I carry depending on what I am wearing a SW bodyguard in 380, a Taurus PT111G2 in 9MM or a Beretta 92 in 9MM.

These shield and bodyguard deals are great. I picked up a bodyguard a couple of weeks ago to replace a Ruger LCP that a trip back to Ruger couldn't make reliable.

moorekatz said:   I was just looking at that https://www.gunbuyer.com/smith-and-wesson-m-p-shield-9mm-3-barrel-7-1-8-1-single-stack-black-180021-sw180021-gb.html for $309 before rebate.
  This has the thumb safety.

Bought the S&W shield 9mm from my local ffl dealer to support them. I know it cost a little more but after ffl fees to transfer the price is pretty close and I get the gun same day (after background check) here in Oregon. The $75 rebate still applies to this purchase. I also need to trade in my old Ruger lc9 since I didn't like it as much and didn't want to sell it on GunBroker. I got a little less than half what I paid for it 3 years ago, so worth it. My total out of pocket cost was 180 including background check , then after rebate I will only cost me $105.

However, I didn't get any online or email confirmation number after submitting the rebate. Anyone experience rebates from s&w before? Maybe I'll call them Monday to see if they received my rebate submission.

dogmeat said:   I keep trying to talk myself into a .40, but that seems too hot for a gun this size.
  I have the shield an and an XDS 3.3 in 40.  They are both fine in 40. Between the two, I'd say the shield may have a slight edge on comfort after a couple hundred rounds.  You have to remember this is a short barrel small-framed gun designed for concealed carry.   It's not going to feel as good as a full size Sig when you're practicing at the range, but it's not designed to. I've fired thousands of rounds through it and it isn't going to overpower you or make shooting it miserable.    My wife is pretty petite, and she handles it OK. I'd say most people will feel fine shooting it once you get used to it.  You definitely want to put a lot of rounds through it at the range before feeling comfortable depending on it in a life-or-death situation, and I feel comfortable saying the average person can do that with this gun.

drodge said:   
  I have the shield an and an XDS 3.3 in 40.  They are both fine in 40. Between the two, I'd say the shield may have a slight edge on comfort after a couple hundred rounds.  You have to remember this is a short barrel small-framed gun designed for concealed carry.   It's not going to feel as good as a full size Sig when you're practicing at the range, but it's not designed to. I've fired thousands of rounds through it and it isn't going to overpower you or make shooting it miserable.    My wife is pretty petite, and she handles it OK. I'd say most people will feel fine shooting it once you get used to it.  You definitely want to put a lot of rounds through it at the range before feeling comfortable depending on it in a life-or-death situation, and I feel comfortable saying the average person can do that with this gun.

Thanks! I have a full sized M&P in .40 and like a caliber with a larger bullet weight than a 9mm. Tempting to have a .40 in a smaller frame, but the Shield isn't exactly a small gun either.

My XDS is definitely much smaller. Even that isn't terrible to shoot with .40. You know going in you're getting a much smaller, lighter frame and it's going to pack more of a punch for the shooter. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out, and I think it's well worth the cost to get something that's convenient to carry. My XDS 3.3 fits very well in almost any pocket and I hardly notice it with an IWB holster. It's pretty much my full time carry piece and I never mind shooting it at the range.

CouponClippen said:   
comodosky said:   

From GOOGLE: A .38 Special bullet and a .380 bullet are not the samediameter. ... A .380 bullet is, however, the samediameter as a 9mm Parabellum bullet. Oh, and a .38Special bullet is the same diameter as a .357 Magnum bullet, which is named for its exact diameter.

which one costs more?

Myself since you cannot walk in and walk out with a gun bought, I would not trust anyone to refund if for some reason the sale did not go through

yesidonoitall said:   Myself since you cannot walk in and walk out with a gun bought, I would not trust anyone to refund if for some reason the sale did not go through
  The only reason the sale wouldn't go through would be if the gun were not as advertised, or the buyer couldn't pass a background check at the local dealer. In either case the gun would still be considered new and returned to the original seller, which in this thread the mentioned sellers are all reputable and would not be likely to have a problem refunding the purchase price.

If you have a Gander Mountain close by they have a 15% off coupon (APRIL15) until 4/22/17 that is good on firearms. After the coupon and $75 rebate their price in the store is $243 and you don't have to pay a FFL fee.

i live in CA. do i need to buy the CA compliant version?

mindtrix said:   i live in CA. do i need to buy the CA compliant version?
  Yes if you would like to obtain a firearm legally. Some dealers (where you pick up the gun) will charge extra if it is not a CA version.

PSA also has them for the same price range as well.

Prngr44 said:   PSA also has them for the same price range as well.
  Whats PSA?

yesidonoitall said:   
Prngr44 said:   PSA also has them for the same price range as well.
  Whats PSA?

Palmetto State Armory

wtfu said:   
mindtrix said:   i live in CA. do i need to buy the CA compliant version?
  Yes if you would like to obtain a firearm legally. Some dealers (where you pick up the gun) will charge extra if it is not a CA version.

No - Shield I ordered from KGC was non Cali compliant per FFL and he returned it for me.  So Cali FFL cannot sell new pistol that is not Cali compliant.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017