Smith and Wesson currently has a 50.00 rebate off the gun. Regular Price right now at Palmetto is 249.99.

Rebate is good Till June 1st if i recall correctly

21 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
I looked into getting this gun at one point, but everyone says the trigger pull is way to heavy. There are aftermarket replacements that help, but they aren't cheap.  I'll wait for the next version.

FYI, it's been this price for a couple weeks.

rated:
Slickone said:   I looked into getting this gun at one point, but everyone says the trigger pull is way to heavy. There are aftermarket replacements that help, but they aren't cheap.  I'll wait for the next version.

If it's used as a "bodyguard" then you will never feel the extra few pounds of trigger pull in a self-defense situation.

rated:
People say you should be proficient with a gun you carry, implying practice, and also to establish reliability. If you're going to carry it and never fire it then the heavy trigger's no problem.

rated:
I have been coming close to pulling the trigger on this for a while, but between the poor reviews, and the bad trigger, just can't do it. But it is cheap, so I am torn.

rated:
any cheaper handgun options for a newbie?

rated:
vickh said:   any cheaper handgun options for a newbie?
  https://www.smga.com/p-125058.aspx?searchEngineName=cobra-fs380b...

rated:
  https://gun.deals/product/taurus-pt-738-tcp-handgun-15299-shippe...

rated:
sodinorama said:   
  https://www.smga.com/p-125058.aspx?searchEngineName=cobra-fs380bb-fs380-380acp-35-blk

Twice as heavy as the S&W.

rated:
xnmw said:   People say you should be proficient with a gun you carry, implying practice, and also to establish reliability. If you're going to carry it and never fire it then the heavy trigger's no problem.
  ??
If you're going to carry it and never fire it why not just buy a plastic toy gun, much cheaper and a lot lighter?

rated:
Angryblues said:   
Slickone said:   I looked into getting this gun at one point, but everyone says the trigger pull is way to heavy. There are aftermarket replacements that help, but they aren't cheap.  I'll wait for the next version.

If it's used as a "bodyguard" then you will never feel the extra few pounds of trigger pull in a self-defense situation.

I have one. Yes the trigger is an issue, but it's more the long travel than simply the weight. That said, I tested a lot of these small pocket .380s before I bought the Bodyguard and they all pretty much have this issue. The long, harder trigger pull is, in part, one of the safety elements of these guns to guard against an AD. You can lighten the trigger, but then you run the risk of not striking the primer hard enough to go boom. Getting the version with a laser is helpful for practicing the trigger pull, as you tend to bring the gun off Target in the last part of the trigger pull. It's a good gun, for what it is, but none of these guns are fun to shoot.

rated:
How is this compared to the Glock 42?

rated:
Brew said:   I have been coming close to pulling the trigger on this for a while, but between the poor reviews, and the bad trigger, just can't do it. But it is cheap, so I am torn.
  Pun intended??

rated:
nice

rated:
I like this model. It's compact and great for personal protection. I may have to buy a second one at this price.,,

rated:
My dad got this for his concealed carry gun and he loved it. I inherited it when he passed away last year and I use it for my carry gun now. It's a great gun, just hope I never have to use it other than Target practice.

rated:
Angryblues said:   

You need to be experienced with what you carry. And many people don't want to gain experience with this model because of the trigger pull. Nor would it be ideal in a self defense situation even if you were experienced. Say what you want, but I'll take the advice of many of the owners of this gun on gun forums and from professional reviews, vs. FW.

rated:
tommyy22 said:   
xnmw said:   People say you should be proficient with a gun you carry, implying practice, and also to establish reliability. If you're going to carry it and never fire it then the heavy trigger's no problem.
  ??
If you're going to carry it and never fire it why not just buy a plastic toy gun, much cheaper and a lot lighter?

Exactly. I can't make any sense of his/her statement.

rated:
daymeeyan said:   How is this compared to the Glock 42?
  Glock 42 is a *much* better choice. Although ~ double the price.

rated:
Any double action only pistol is going to have a long trigger pull. It's much different than a Glock, which is single action only.

Dave

rated:
bluegrasspr said:   I like this model. It's compact and great for personal protection. I may have to buy a second one at this price.,,

Why?  I mean you can only carry one.  If I am stashing something in my car then it is going to be a Compact 9mm or 40SW, so it is not even worth it for that.

rated:
DealHunter00 said:   Any double action only pistol is going to have a long trigger pull. It's much different than a Glock, which is single action only.

Dave

The LCP is DAO too. Great trigger.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/compacts/smith-wesson-mp-body...
While the trigger pull is long—about twice as long as I would like even on a pocket gun—it is smooth, and on my sample gun, the trigger pull was 9.5 pounds.

I have two .380 BodyGuards, one mine and one the wife's. Both have the worse triggers I've ever pulled in my life. I've been shooting guns for a long time...before, during, and after 22 years military service. Never ran up against a weapon that required a trigger finger replacement after 25 rounds, until this S&W M&P .380. My wife can't run more than 20 rounds before trigger finger pain sets in (to the point that she's done with this gun). For anyone interested in NOT putting up with this horrible M&P BodyGuard trigger, read on. I purchased two Galloway Precision Short Stroke Trigger Kits for M&P Bodyguard .380.

I agree with Carl J on the need for the Galloway Precision trigger. I bought the BG, as did my son. We both found the stock trigger way to long, to the point it seriously interfered with aim/accuracy.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/smith-and-wesson-bodyguard-380-revie...
The trigger pull of the Bodyguard is excruciatingly long. 
Neither Richard, nor I, was in love with the long trigger pull,

http://aegisacademy.com/smith-wesson-bodyguard-380-auto-review/
The trigger was VERY long and heavy, which was exacerbated by the lack of leverage offered by the small frame.  The trigger pull exceeded the 10 pound maximum on my gauge.  Fully forward, the length of pull (distance from the trigger face to the backstrap) is 2.728 inches.  After 0.057 inches of free movement, the sear/hammer double-action movement begins.  For a distance of 0.62 inches, the 10 pound pressure seems to increase!  Put simply, the long and heavy trigger pull seems to get considerably heavier throughout the pull.
As a result of the long and heavy trigger pull, the exceptionally lightweight frame translates nearly all of the impulse into the shooter’s hand.  With a small beavertail atop the backstrap, the energy transfer “slaps” your hand.  Again, here is the trade-off:  lightweight pistols translate a greater degree of impulse and recoil directly to the shooter.  Combined with the considerable pressure required to pull the trigger, the photo shows a small abrasion that formed on my hand after firing only 25 rounds.
 The long and heavy trigger made it a bit difficult to keep the sights aligned and on Target at times
The Cons:
Atrocious trigger
Did I mention how bad the trigger is?
The trigger is among the worst I’ve ever fired and it was generally uncomfortable to shoot.

http://planandprepared.com/2015/04/05/edc-gun-review-smith-and-w...
However, the problem for me was the trigger pull. It was a LONG trigger pull. I’d say at least in the area of 10 lbs plus.
The pull was so long I found myself at times shooting a bit to the left, as the natural movement of my finger going THAT far back shifted the gun slightly

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/01/22/sw-releases-new-bo...
It's a good first step, now if they would do something with that horrible trigger. What is that thing, 12 lbs? A little light weight gun with that trigger pull, it's hard to hit anything even with a friggin' laser beam.
The trigger is so heavy they never needed the safety in the first place. It took two hands to pull that thing.

The awful triggers of all these .380s threw me willingly into the teflon-coated tupperware arms of a Glock 42.

It typically takes several grown men working in conjunction with a mule or horse to exert enough force on the trigger to induce it to fire.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/473754-new...
I bought one. Dry fired it, the trigger was abysmal. Also the first gun I ever owned where I had to depress the magazine release to insert a magazine. I traded it off without ever firing it. Bought a Ruger Custom LCP, am very happy with it.

I had an LC9 too, and then I got a Shield. When the LC9-S came out the Shield was sold. Smaller, lighter, and much better trigger. I also like the mag disconnect.

I bought a bodyguard for my wife to use. She couldn't handle the strong slide pull.  The trigger stacked and was rough.

etc, etc.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017