posted 10 days ago by
richardstrawberry

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178951
Newegg offers the Seagate Expansion 8TB USB3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive for $179.99 via coupon code "EMCREBE69".
Free shipping.

2 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Same price from Amazon.

But be sure to read reviews on both Newegg & Amazon... many purchasers believe this drive is crap. Slow, hot and failure-prone. Caveat emptor!

rated:
OneStepAhead said:   Same price from Amazon

But be sure to read reviews on both Newegg & Amazon. .. many purchasers believe this drive is crap. Slow, hot and failure-prone. Caveat emptor!

It is a dirty little secret of the hard drive industry  that manufacturers take a lot of "questionable" drives (i.e. that won't pass test for system customers like netapp, apple, Lenovo - any of the name brand guys) and stick them in external storage units to sell directly to consumers. Consumers don't get to see manufacturing test results like the name brand system guys, so they don't know they are being sold lemons.  That isn't to say all the drives are bad - just a whole lot of them - and you can't tell which external units have them.

Its a good bet for the manufacturers - they get to sell a lot of questionable drives that would otherwise be scrap (turn $30-80 in scrap into $50-200 in revenue). They know that most external HDDs only get a few hundred hours use in their whole lives, so they can gamble on the units not failing in that time. However, if you use it a lot, you are outside their plan. Yes, it will still have a warranty and they will replace it every time it breaks within the warranty - but who wants to actually use the warranty (or to use it two or three times)? More importantly, if you are using it to store critical data, who wants to lose data (or lose the backup).

Personally, if I need an external drive, I buy a retail drive and put it in a case, or I buy one from a name brand company that isn't owned by Western Digital or Seagate.

Only thing worse than an external unit is a "refurbished" unit (since no disk drive company actually refurbishes disk drives, all "refurbished" drives are really just "used" drives).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017