posted 20 days ago by
x5yex

Great Value Creamy Peanut Butter, 40 ounces $2.98 at walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Peanut-Butter-Creamy-40-o...

7 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
It has Hydrogenated Vegetable oil, pass

rated:
PutThatCoffeeDOWN said:   It has Hydrogenated Vegetable oil, pass
  Is this a bad thing?

rated:
Free shipping with $35+ purchase otherwise $5.99.

rated:
Peanut oil can be sold at a premium price compared to cottonseed or soybean oil, so they swap it out.  A variation of Gresham's Law.  And the oil is hydrogenated to prevent it from collecting at the top of the jar.  You can have cheap, or good, but not both at the same time.

The best peanut butter ever made was the USDA commodity surplus stuff.  Real peanut oil all over the top that you had to mix back in with a spoon.  #10 tin cans of it.  My word, didn't we just sit down at the Scout camp and shovel it in.

rated:
hydrogenated vegetable oil is in ALL "smooth" stabilized peanut butters.
I DO agree that hydrogenated oils are better to be avoided, but if you're used to eating "smooth" peanut butters, then that's nothing to complain about.

If you don't mind peanut butter that separates, you can buy all natural peanut butters and you can go to places like a health food store and grind your own, but that isn't what most people are looking for

As far as shipping, you can pick up in store without paying shpiping charges.
I can't believe I'm defending a company I hate, but the comments were unfair

rated:
DrKlahn said:   
The best peanut butter ever made was the USDA commodity surplus stuff.  Real peanut oil all over the top that you had to mix back in with a spoon.  #10 tin cans of it.  My word, didn't we just sit down at the Scout camp and shovel it in.

I'm getting an education here.  Your comments on the USDA commodity stuff reminded me of when generic products hit the store shelves in the 1970's.  One product that was better than the name brands was the peanut butter, and now I figure it was for the same reason you stated.

rated:
I bought 5 jars of this peanut butter about 2 weeks ago.
I nearly finished one and I am still alive 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017