posted 2 months ago by
jeffmd

I was just finishing a monstrous cut the cord project that just had me using internet and I had planned to just rent the modem but then I just happen to spot this unit on clearance at Target and thought why the hell not. I never originally looked at cable modems because the cable box we rented also had the VOIP socket for the house phones and was required for the service. The modem is $42 at %30 off, which means it is possible it can reach %50 and %70. The only downside is (coming from someone that works there) we tend to have very little stock in cable modems, they are a super slow seller as you can probably imagine. My store just had the one left in stock. 

To those new to considering buying your own cable modem, the SB6141 is kind of special in that it is one of the most used and most supported models out there. It has 8x4 channel bonding which means it will support most speeds just under the 300Mbit plans and is OFFICIALY supported by like %90 of the ISPs out there. Many even use this very model. 

As a side note, I believe I also saw TP-links 16x4 TC-7620 model on clearance at $55 (%30 off) respectively. Both of these are DOCSIS 3.0 modems, but the TP-Link was not officially on any of spectrum's list so I opted out of buying that one. 

24 Comments
Add Comment
More deals in the official Target clearance thread.
rated:
Just had my Internet line serviced - it was giving erratic signals. The Technician said the current DOCSIS 3.0 will likely be phased out soon. New modems will be required when the network goes to DOCSIS 3.1 -BTW, I looked up DOCSIS 3.1 modems and they are still very expensive... So I'd only buy a modem now if you really need one, not as a spare since it'll get phased out soon.

rated:
i may be asking too much but this is not a listed modem with Optimum, does that mean it is unusable or i could take my chance and see. I also have VOIP telephone. thanks

rated:
mmyk72 said:   Just had my Internet line serviced - it was giving erratic signals. The Technician said the current DOCSIS 3.0 will likely be phased out soon. New modems will be required when the network goes to DOCSIS 3.1 -BTW, I looked up DOCSIS 3.1 modems and they are still very expensive... So I'd only buy a modem now if you really need one, not as a spare since it'll get phased out soon.

It'll be several years, at least, before the 3.0 modems are phased out.  There's a large installed base, and they're not going to abandon that (or junk the large investment they've made in those modems).  

rated:
bones774 said:   i may be asking too much but this is not a listed modem with Optimum, does that mean it is unusable or i could take my chance and see. I also have VOIP telephone. thanks
  what u need to do is to get rid of their VOIP service. it's a rip off. why do u need to pay extra for it anyway. use that money on a real cellular service. most of the time u wont be able to buy ur own voip "router". so on top of it, u would have to pay extra "rental" fee for their own device.

rated:
jeffmd said:   I was just finishing a monstrous cut the cord project that just had me using internet and I had planned to just rent the modem but then I just happen to spot this unit on clearance at Target and thought why the hell not. I never originally looked at cable modems because the cable box we rented also had the VOIP socket for the house phones and was required for the service. The modem is $42 at %30 off, which means it is possible it can reach %50 and %70. The only downside is (coming from someone that works there) we tend to have very little stock in cable modems, they are a super slow seller as you can probably imagine. My store just had the one left in stock. 

To those new to considering buying your own cable modem, the SB6141 is kind of special in that it is one of the most used and most supported models out there. It has 8x4 channel bonding which means it will support most speeds just under the 300Mbit plans and is OFFICIALY supported by like %90 of the ISPs out there. Many even use this very model. 

As a side note, I believe I also saw TP-links 16x4 TC-7620 model on clearance at $55 (%30 off) respectively. Both of these are DOCSIS 3.0 modems, but the TP-Link was not officially on any of spectrum's list so I opted out of buying that one. 

OP, what language do u speak natively? i understand that the rest of the world put $ sign after the number. it looks annoying in the states but at least its more popular. but i rarely see people put % in front of the number. i see ur trying use the period instead of comma for decimal and $ infront of the number. but that % positioning is so weird.

rated:
microkelvin said:   
bones774 said:   i may be asking too much but this is not a listed modem with Optimum, does that mean it is unusable or i could take my chance and see. I also have VOIP telephone. thanks
  what u need to do is to get rid of their VOIP service. it's a rip off. why do u need to pay extra for it anyway. use that money on a real cellular service. most of the time u wont be able to buy ur own voip "router". so on top of it, u would have to pay extra "rental" fee for their own device.

i dont pay optimum for voip, just need the port. made a one time payment to obihai, thats it and it works great. I only pay Opt for internet and as a bonus i get the local OTA tv channels free of charge.

rated:
The Store item number is 056-02-0038. Brickseek shows that price consistently, but availability may be spotty.

rated:
That modem has issues.
Google it. It's  old and if you have issues your cable company will immediately point to YOUR equipment as the issue. You'll have no way to argue. 

rated:
5 months if it works pays the 10$ rental fee ive got here...so worth it.

rated:
microkelvin said:   

OP, what language do u speak natively? i understand that the rest of the world put $ sign after the number.

Haha.. put the word "price tags" into google and click the images only. You tell me..where the dollar sign is. 

rated:
jeffmd said:   
microkelvin said:   

OP, what language do u speak natively? i understand that the rest of the world put $ sign after the number.

Haha.. put the word "price tags" into google and click the images only. You tell me..where the dollar sign is. 

u didnt ask about the dollar sign. did u have Target in india?

rated:
zapy said:   That modem has issues.
Google it. It's  old and if you have issues your cable company will immediately point to YOUR equipment as the issue. You'll have no way to argue. 

I won't say it isn't old.. but it wouldn't be so popular if it didn't work, and it's capabilities are well within most peoples plans, ie only the ultra high speed users will find it lacking. Also there isn't a single modem out there that people havn't had an issue with. None of them are perfect and things are even harder to diagnose since alot of tools are not available to the end user. As for arguing equipment issues, where the hell have you been? If it's your equipment, it is very hard to argue any issues with the cable company no matter what cable modem you own. 

rated:
microkelvin said:   
jeffmd said:   
microkelvin said:   

u didnt ask about the dollar sign. did u have Target in india?

Sorry, it was hard to understand what you were asking. I don't use % much, I tend to just stick it anywhere depending on how my mind pictures it. It is not something I normally write, in fact when doing math I directly convert % into decimals. 

rated:
mmyk72 said:   Just had my Internet line serviced - it was giving erratic signals. The Technician said the current DOCSIS 3.0 will likely be phased out soon. New modems will be required when the network goes to DOCSIS 3.1 -BTW, I looked up DOCSIS 3.1 modems and they are still very expensive... So I'd only buy a modem now if you really need one, not as a spare since it'll get phased out soon.

With the state our cable networks are in.. I don't imagine I will see 3.1 for quite some time. The day spectrum supports it in my area I will be glad to move to it if it helps with signal reliability and more efficient bonding. Also DOCSIS is backwards compatible, you can run DOCSIS 2.0 and 1.0 on most current networks, you just get like no speed (2.0 didn't get bonding, so you are at the max speed of a single download connection). So this modem will work on current networks pretty much until it breaks down.  

rated:
You can pick these modems up for <$20 on eBay. They're used, but they're not products that tend to fail (if it works when you turn it on, it'll work for years so long as you don't spill coffee into it), and if there's a scuff or two, who cares?

rated:
jeffmd said:   

With the state our cable networks are in.. I don't imagine I will see 3.1 for quite some time. The day spectrum supports it in my area I will be glad to move to it if it helps with signal reliability and more efficient bonding. Also DOCSIS is backwards compatible, you can run DOCSIS 2.0 and 1.0 on most current networks, you just get like no speed (2.0 didn't get bonding, so you are at the max speed of a single download connection). So this modem will work on current networks pretty much until it breaks down.  

Comcast will have DOCSIS 3.1 deployed across its entire footprint by the end of the year.  So, it's already here.  Charter/Spectrum is probably 6-9 months behind that.  

rated:
seriously... why is this some kind of fight about docsis 3.0 and 3.1? thats like saying a phone isn't worth buying any more because its android 7.0 and not 7.1.

This is the cheapest one you can buy new atm... go shit in your own threads pls.

rated:
jeffmd said:   seriously... why is this some kind of fight about docsis 3.0 and 3.1? thats like saying a phone isn't worth buying any more because its android 7.0 and not 7.1.

This is the cheapest one you can buy new atm... go shit in your own threads pls.

now i see ur shitting in ur own thread. 

i still wonder why u put % in the front of the number but still keep 3.0 or 3.1. why dont u change it to 3,0 or 3,1 like where u have learned?

an obsolete tech is worth nothing. so it doesnt mean if its the cheapest u can buy now or not.

rated:
microkelvin said:   
i still wonder why u put % in the front of the number

I'm still wondering why you can't spell out you. Or use capital letters. Why are you so worried about where I put my % when you can't type a straight sentence yourself? 

And it is not obsolete when your entire cable system still uses it and not 3.1! 

rated:

rated:
Amazon Warehouse has these for about $21. They are used but seem to be returns for scratches and damaged boxes

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AJHDZSI

rated:
The SB6141 is one of the most reliable modems on the market, most complaints are from used, refurb, or ISP problems. The installation is not as difficult as your ISP wants you to think; 'how to' has a simplified text to help, print it out before you cut the cord, duh. I've saved $288$ in 2 years, not a blip from the modem. 3.0 will be around for a long time, ISP'S do not want to anger millions of customers, of course if you're super anxious about having all the latest stuff, try Xannix. JUST DO IT!

rated:
thats like saying a phone isn't worth buying any more because its android 7.0 and not 7.1.
The difference is that the network provider has some control over what you use. For your Android analogy, if there were stories that Verizon will drop support for Android 7.0 devices.

In fact I use an SB6120 modem with Comcast, I bought it from (and to use with) a Rogers third-party, later cancelled with them, and a couple of years ago wanted to go back. Rogers no longer allows that technology for sign-ups on their network.

Not a DOCSIS 3 vs 3.1 issue i think, more to do with newer modems taking less capacity for the same or higher speeds.

Meanwhile every year Comcast lets me sign up for new service using that device. I expect that one of these years they'll refuse, as Rogers did. When (if) they refuse, I might look for a deal on something like the 6141. You never know what's going to be supported "next year".

=aw

rated:

SB5120 (31.01kB)
Disclaimer
ottawa said:   In fact I use an SB6120 modem with Comcast, I bought it from (and to use with) a Rogers third-party, later cancelled with them, and a couple of years ago wanted to go back. Rogers no longer allows that technology for sign-ups on their network.
I recently activated a SB5120 Docsis 2.0 modem on Comcast. It activated through the online portal without issue and I get better than the advertised 20/5.

I later tried to activate my SB6141 (that was previously on Comcast at a different house) but it wouldn't activate online; haven't bothered to call yet to see what the issue is.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017