Cricket wireless refills 20% off with purchase of cricket phone or SIM kit $0.99 at Best Buy

The SIM kit is currently on sale for $0.99.
Essentially you can get the $70 card for $56 + $0.99 + tax on $57.

add both to cart to see discount.

Cricket Sim kit $0.99 

Cricket wireless refill cards 

To maximize the deal, we can leverage the giftcard deal.

Free $10 Savings Codewhen you buy $100 in Best Buy e-gift cards. Offer ends 5/13/17. Limit 2 per customer. You are leaving Bestbuy. com and entering a site hosted and operated by CashStar. Different terms and conditions apply.

Views
10 Comments
Add Comment
1 refill card discount per phone/sim .

Best Buy charged me $4 for tax and $0.40 for an E-911 fee, neither of which make sense since this is a gift card. Anyone else getting that?

xarmian said:   Best Buy charged me $4 for tax and $0.40 for an E-911 fee, neither of which make sense since this is a gift card. Anyone else getting that?
  i got charged 8.875% tax on a $70 card as well.   meanwhile, we pay a flat fee on a monthly basis.  

RedNeckSpy said:   1 refill card discount per phone/sim .
  I wanted to buy 1 99 cent sim card kit and 20 refills...

Shipping

• Get it by Tue, May 16  Cricket Wireless - BYOD SIM Kit  $0.99Qty 1

•  
  • Get it by Tue, May 16 Cricket Wireless - $40 Refill Card  $32.00Qty 1

•  

Item Subtotal  $32.99Shipping  Free $0.00 $0.75
Total$33.74 

Dont know how they get $2.99
.99 + .75   is $1.74

xarmian said:   Best Buy charged me $4 for tax and $0.40 for an E-911 fee, neither of which make sense since this is a gift card. Anyone else getting that?
  Its a wireless refill card so stores will have to charge local refill taxes/fees

How can it be a gift card?

yesidonoitall said:   
  How can it be a gift card?

The question I have is "How can it not be a gift card?".. It's a stored value card to be used for the purchase of items from Cricket, just like a gift card to Macy's is a stored value card to be used for the purchase of items from Macy's. When you redeem the "refill" card you are charged taxes on the items you purchase from Cricket, which in this case results in double-taxation. Cricket includes these taxes and the E911 fee in the total amount they charge for your phone plan (i.e. $35 for the monthly plan after autopay includes taxes and fees already added to the price) so you don't see them, but they are there. The issue is more obvious if you use this "refill" card to purchase a phone -- you will be charged sales tax from Cricket and you'll see it as a line item. So you are paying double sales tax and double E911 fees.

I used the term "refill" in quotes, because this is not really a refill of a specific plan, it is a value amount that you redeem to your Cricket account and then can use for anything Cricket sells, as explained in the description on the Best Buy website.

Actually I'm not sure if these refill cards can be used to purchase a phone.. I thought the description said that but I don't see it. But that doesn't change my original point which is that these are stored value cards and you're already paying taxes in the cost of your plan, so you're being taxed twice.

EDIT:

I'd like to add that it appears Best Buy is correct in charging sales tax and the E911 fee, it's the legislation that is screwed up. There are laws saying prepaid refills must be charged sales tax and E911 fees which completely ignore that we pay this again when the value is redeemed.

xarmian said:   Actually I'm not sure if these refill cards can be used to purchase a phone.. I thought the description said that but I don't see it. But that doesn't change my original point which is that these are stored value cards and you're already paying taxes in the cost of your plan, so you're being taxed twice.

EDIT:

I'd like to add that it appears Best Buy is correct in charging sales tax and the E911 fee, it's the legislation that is screwed up. There are laws saying prepaid refills must be charged sales tax and E911 fees which completely ignore that we pay this again when the value is redeemed.

No sales tax here in Oregon on them and maybe 2 other states.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017