I have to recharge my cars A/C now that the temp is almost 100F.  Found the A/C Pro Professional Formula 20 oz R-134a w/XL HD Gauge at Advance Auto Parts for $50.  I purchased the item online and took advantage of the 30% off coupon code (SAVINGS).  This brings the price down $35, similar to Walmart.  There's an additional $15 rebate in the form of store credit and if you're a speed perk member, it's an additional $5 back.  So net is going to be ~$15 if I factor in the additional store credits.

As a bonus, don't forget 2% ebates to offset taxes.

Here's to enjoying cooler drives!
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ac-pro-professional-formula-refrigerant-with-gauge-and-hose-20-oz.-acp-100n-acp-10/10034602-P
 

3438 Views
14 Comments
Add Comment
More deals in the official Advance Auto Parts coupon thread.
rated:
Be aware that many mechanic shops will not service your AC system if you have used these type of products.  All shops are required by law to reclaim/capture the refrigerant when servicing/evacuating your AC system.  Most shops have equipment that recovers, filters and recycles it.  The additives in the product in the op are considered contaminants, so the refrigerant in your car would have to be recovered, stored and disposed of separately.  Most shops systems are not set up to do this.

134a doesn't evaporate.  If you are low on refrigerant have a competent mechanic locate the source of the leak and properly repair it.  Products such as this are band-aids at best and your system will continue to leak 134a into the environment.

rated:
Do I have to do anything for the Speed Perks $5 back?

rated:
Will the shop mechanic be able to know that you've previously recharged with this type of store-bought coolant?

rated:
GatorJ said:   Be aware that many mechanic shops will not service your AC system if you have used these type of products.  All shops are required by law to reclaim/capture the refrigerant when servicing/evacuating your AC system.  Most shops have equipment that recovers, filters and recycles it.  The additives in the product in the op are considered contaminants, so the refrigerant in your car would have to be recovered, stored and disposed of separately.  Most shops systems are not set up to do this.

134a doesn't evaporate.  If you are low on refrigerant have a competent mechanic locate the source of the leak and properly repair it.  Products such as this are band-aids at best and your system will continue to leak 134a into the environment.

Related reading:

https://gobdp.com/blog/healing-the-stop-leak-reputation/

rated:
ohkeedohkee said:   Will the shop mechanic be able to know that you've previously recharged with this type of store-bought coolant?
  Yes, because you're going to be a responsible adult and tell them.

rated:
chrispitude said:   
GatorJ said:   Be aware that many mechanic shops will not service your AC system if you have used these type of products.  All shops are required by law to reclaim/capture the refrigerant when servicing/evacuating your AC system.  Most shops have equipment that recovers, filters and recycles it.  The additives in the product in the op are considered contaminants, so the refrigerant in your car would have to be recovered, stored and disposed of separately.  Most shops systems are not set up to do this.

134a doesn't evaporate.  If you are low on refrigerant have a competent mechanic locate the source of the leak and properly repair it.  Products such as this are band-aids at best and your system will continue to leak 134a into the environment.

Related reading:

https://gobdp.com/blog/healing-the-stop-leak-reputation/

  
More than a blog, is an advertising for the product..

rated:
ignore comment
 

rated:
"Professional forumula"???  Professionals use only pure R-134a or R-134a containing leak detection dye.  They don't use leak sealer, nor do they like leak sealer.  
Related reading:

https://gobdp.com/blog/healing-the-stop-leak-reputation/


That's from the manufacturer, not from an independent source.






 

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   "Professional forumula"???  Professionals use only pure R-134a or R-134a containing leak detection dye.  They don't use leak sealer, nor do they like leak sealer.  
Related reading:

https://gobdp.com/blog/healing-the-stop-leak-reputation/


That's from the manufacturer, not from an independent source.
 

Yes, agreed - but there might be a grain of truth in there. Or maybe not. I've got a question into A/C Pro asking them exactly what sealant they use, and how it interacts with recovery equipment. I'll let you all know what I find.

Just trying to get information for all of us, folks. Not looking to push any agenda.

rated:
From their tech support department:
customersupport@spectrumbrands.com said: Thank you for contacting Spectrum Brands GAC. Part number ACP-100N will have 17 ounces of R134a (refrigerant) and 3 ounces of PAG 100 oil (rubber conditioner) to recondition the rubber components for the O rings, gaskets, and hoses which will not clog or damage a recovery unit or reclaim machine. If you have any additional questions please feel free to call us at 1-(888)-318-5454. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 8 AM to 7 PM CST, Saturday 10 AM to 4 PM CST and Sunday 10AM to 3PM CS

rated:
chrispitude said:   From their tech support department:
customersupport@spectrumbrands.com said: Thank you for contacting Spectrum Brands GAC. Part number ACP-100N will have 17 ounces of R134a (refrigerant) and 3 ounces of PAG 100 oil (rubber conditioner) to recondition the rubber components for the O rings, gaskets, and hoses which will not clog or damage a recovery unit or reclaim machine. If you have any additional questions please feel free to call us at 1-(888)-318-5454. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 8 AM to 7 PM CST, Saturday 10 AM to 4 PM CST and Sunday 10AM to 3PM CS

  This shows that it does not contain a "sealer".  PAG oil is common and over time needed.

rated:
You shouldn't use this in most pre-95 systems. Most of them require ester oil. When PAG comes in contact with even trace amounts of R-12, it becomes acidic and will destroy aluminum parts in the system. Also, the PAG 100 may not be a match for your system. It is a middle of the road viscosity. Some systems use 46, some 150 depending on who made the compressor.

rated:
Ok, But It should be save on a 2002 Olds Alero? Correct?
Do you have to do anything for the extra $5.00 speed perks rebate?
Sorry about the double post,
Don't see an Delete button.

rated:
Ok, But It should be save on a 2002 Olds Alero? Correct?
Do you have to do anything for the extra $5.00 speed perks rebate?
Is it $15.00 Cash (Check) or $15.00 Advance Auto Gift card. (I'd rather have the cash)

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017