posted 26 days ago by
ctgolfer
Star of the Week

Posted with ToGo

Philips 4 ft. T8 17-Watt Cool White Linear LED Light Bulb (10-Pack)
$49.16
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-4-ft-T8-17-Watt-Cool-White-Linear-LED-Light-Bulb-10-Pack-456590/206402867

• Brightness: 2100 Lumens
  • Estimated yearly energy cost: $2.05 (based on 3 hours/day, 11 cents/kWh, costs depend on rates and use)
  • Life: 32.9 years (based on 3 hours/day)
  • Light appearance: 4000K (cool white)
  • Energy used: 17-Watt (equivalent to a 32-Watt linear fluorescent light bulb)
  • Lumens per watt: 123.5 Lumens
  • Uses 55% less energy compared to a linear fluorescent light bulb
  • Ideal for use in general lighting applications where fluorescent lighting is used like laundry rooms, kitchens, garages as well as commercial use in offices and hospitals
  • Instant fit design means that no modifications are needed to the current fixture housing instant start ballast, nor rewiring, simply plug it in and use
  • Contains mercury: no

8 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
I wonder if the existing ballast remains active in the circuit - drawing power and possibly adding a hum / buzz. I converted all my fixtures by removing the ballasts and rewiring the fixture to accept an LED replacement bulb. Mine take a second to come on but they are dead silent since the ballasts were removed.

rated:
blueribb said:   I wonder if the existing ballast remains active in the circuit - drawing power and possibly adding a hum / buzz. I converted all my fixtures by removing the ballasts and rewiring the fixture to accept an LED replacement bulb. Mine take a second to come on but they are dead silent since the ballasts were removed.
 I removed my ballasts and they are silent.

rated:
On the HD site, the Q&As indicate these require electronic ballasts. For those that have installed LEDs without ballasts, were they these particular Philips tubes?

rated:
blueribb said:   I wonder if the existing ballast remains active in the circuit - drawing power and possibly adding a hum / buzz. I converted all my fixtures by removing the ballasts and rewiring the fixture to accept an LED replacement bulb. Mine take a second to come on but they are dead silent since the ballasts were removed.
From what I've seen, they are rewired to provide power and common to the pins on either end of the tube in an unshunted socket and the other end is simply held in a disconnected, unshunted socket.  Is this correct?

rated:
Depends on the make, but some kits come with new "tombstones" to facilitate the install.

rated:
Different brands and models offer different wiring configs. I wanted to completely eliminate the noise, heat, and power consumption of the ballasts, so I bought tubes that allowed me to quickly rewire each fixture. Turned off power to light, cut the two 110 V wires to the ballast, then spliced the 110V to one end of each tube holder. YES, it does mean that the fixture now has 110 V directly applied to the connectors on that end. The lighting is now instant-on, and no hum or fuss. Some vendors call these "single end" and some call them "shunted." Some include replacement connectors for the tube, called "tombstones," but not all older fixtures allow easy replacement of the tombstones. HomeDepot offers some alternatives like this from a company called "Toggled," but I got mine on Amazon from a company called LEDMO.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TOGGLED-48-in-T8-16-Watt-Daylight-Dim...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RM1UJK/

Prices keep falling:

https://www.amazon.com/SHINE-HAI-Equivalent-Single-Ended-DLC-Qua...

rated:
My only problem is I only have one fixture which uses 2 bulbs at a time. These bulbs are sold in a 10 pack, and each bulb lasts 32.9 years... so that means my $49.16 purchase will last me 10 / 2 X 32.9 = 164.5 years. I will have to modify my Will to include these bulbs for future generations !!!

rated:
shoppin658 said:   My only problem is I only have one fixture which uses 2 bulbs at a time. These bulbs are sold in a 10 pack, and each bulb lasts 32.9 years... so that means my $49.16 purchase will last me 10 / 2 X 32.9 = 164.5 years. I will have to modify my Will to include these bulbs for future generations !!!
The HD near me does sell these Philips bulbs as singles for $7 or so.  link

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017