posted 3 months ago by
titewad
Senior Member - 8K

If you have a CDMA phone that used to be activated on RingPlus, you can now activate it on FreedomPop 's Bring Your Own Device service for just a 99 cent activation fee.

This is not the ATT LTE SIM deal, or the 3-in-1 Global SIM deal.  It is for CDMA phones only.  You will not get a SIM in the mail.  Your phone will activate and be usable in minutes after installing the FP ap and turning the phone off/on.

https://www.freedompop.com/byodpromo8 

• Free Unlimited Talk, Text, & 2GB Data Trial ($24.99/mo)
  • Free Premium Plus Trial ($7.99/mo)
  • Free 1GB Bonus ($10 value)
  • One-time Activation Fee - $0.99

Home page says, "100% Free Basic Plan - 500 texts, 200 minutes, and 500MB each month"

This offer includes a one month free trial of their $24.99 2GB plan.  Don't forget to downgrade your plan to the free plan, or else you will get charged when the trial is over.

Downgrade instructions:  https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discussion/17436/step-by-step-instructions-on-downgrading-your-freedompop-account-to-100-free 

It's VOIP phone service over the phone's cellular data service, not real cell phone service.  It works over Wi-Fi or cellular.  To use the phone/text service you have to install the FreedomPop app from Google Play.  You can not use the phone's native dialer.

25 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Sep. 23, 2017 @ 3:03am
rated:
My short review: I had a Moto G4 (Amazon adds) with Ring+ and moved my phone to FreedomPop. I installed their app and had nothing but problems. My bluetooth hands-free devices stopped working with my phone and there were a lot of dropped calls. Lastly, the battery in my phone needed charging daily with the app installed but only once a week without the app. Seems I am not alone with these issues. Sure free is great but not so much when the service sux.

A few of the previous threads:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1568797

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1565625

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1552355

rated:
blueribb said:   My short review: I had a Moto G4 (Amazon adds) with Ring+ and moved my phone to FreedomPop. I installed their app and had nothing but problems. My bluetooth hands-free devices stopped working with my phone and there were a lot of dropped calls. Lastly, the battery in my phone needed charging daily with the app installed but only once a week without the app. Seems I am not alone with these issues. Sure free is great but not so much when the service sux.

A few of the previous threads:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1568797 

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1565625 

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1552355

I mostly use FP for data and it works great for that.  An occasional call now and then.  I've had no problems yet.  I have the 3 in 1 SIM on another phone, that's what I've been using since RP went out of business.  I just found the CDMA offer today, so I really haven't used it except for a test call, but I imagine it will be the same.  Obviously the limits are low so it's best for light users, and I wouldn't recommend it for a primary phone for a heavy phone user.  It's good for the frugal crowd, emergency users, etc.

rated:
Thanks OP.
I was looking forward to a deal on CDMA phone previously on R+
Does anyone knows if FP allows free phone swaps?

rated:
I moved my old RingPlus phone to Tello, which has worked great for me. I don't use any voice minutes; I buy a monthly data plan only and use Google Hangouts for most calls. If I had FreedomPop, I'd not use their app unless it was required to be installed - just use Hangouts for calls, though that uses your data, of course. (But not if you are on WiFi.)

rated:
Is the Data on this Free plan 3G or 4G Lte  ?

rated:
can i use this for a tablet? do i need a sim card?

rated:
Watch your credit card bill, even if you downgrade to the free service. I ordered two SIMs and got two charged for $7.99 the following month from them trying to bill me for service I couldn't even use at the time, so I downgraded to the free service on both.

rated:
Their site is confusing to me.
To get the totally free service  such as >> 100% Free Basic Plan - 500 texts, 200 minutes, and 500MB each month"

Do you have to sign up for the free for 30 days  upgraded service then cancel that before the 30 days are up to get the freee
100% Free Basic Plan - 500 texts, 200 minutes, and 500MB each month"

rated:

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   Their site is confusing to me.
To get the totally free service  such as >> 100% Free Basic Plan - 500 texts, 200 minutes, and 500MB each month"

Do you have to sign up for the free for 30 days  upgraded service then cancel that before the 30 days are up to get the freee

Read this post by High Technology.
He has very beautifully explained everything about FP.
Also read comments here and here
If you are still confused after reading these posts then maybe FP is not for you.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   Their site is confusing to me.

Yes, that's right.  You can downgrade immediately and I recommend doing that so you don't forget and get charged.  Follow the directions in the link I provided in the OP.

rated:
I just got a $0.01 charge on my CC for "Account Maintenance - Maintain Active Status".  Maybe its because I have not used this line for 2 mths?? Is this a new thing? Anyone else seeing this?

rated:
Just a warning:
I just signed up and promptly downgraded all three AND received confirmation emails.
FP said: Basic 200
Voice Minutes: 200
Data: 500 MB $0.00
You've earned 1 GB of FREE Data this month.

However, when I checked under "Account Overview" the "Premium services" were still showing which disappeared AFTER I downgraded "Premium services" AGAIN.
Moral of the story: Must double check under your account AFTER downgrading despite receiving emails confirmations to avoid any headaches later.

rated:
klingon888 said:   I just got a $0.01 charge on my CC for "Account Maintenance - Maintain Active Status".  Maybe its because I have not used this line for 2 mths?? Is this a new thing? Anyone else seeing this?
  They are confirming the card is still good.
The 1 cent will not be finalized by them and will fall off.

rated:
This seems like a normal question to me.
Re: Free 200 minutes
Once your 200 minutes are used up, say on the 20th day, is the phone then not useable until the new 30 days starts
I also assume that if you do not use the 200 minutes by day 30 they DO NOT ROLLOVER
I do not see me using any texts and they do not rollover, right?

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   
klingon888 said:   I just got a $0.01 charge on my CC for "Account Maintenance - Maintain Active Status".  Maybe its because I have not used this line for 2 mths?? Is this a new thing? Anyone else seeing this?
  They are confirming the card is still good.
The 1 cent will not be finalized by them and will fall off.

Its an actual charge by FP and shows up in my FP account and CC charge went from pending to actual. This may be something new they started.

rated:
Few questions for FP pros:
1. Do you have to get a phone number since data works and I don't really need it.
2. Since it is data only service is there any use of the ICCID/ SIM card for a CDMA Phone like LG Volt or LG Tribute 2?
3. If you don't use the service will they cancel it or charge a maintenance fee?
TIA

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Few questions for FP pros:
1. Do you have to get a phone number since data works and I don't really need it.
2. Since it is data only service is there any use of the ICCID/ SIM card?
3. If you don't use the service will they cancel it or charge a maintenance fee?
TIA

1. I guess you dont have to but not sure if FP system requires you to get a phone nbr on signing up
2. BYOD works off Sprint and it needs a valid SIM card to get service
3. I saw a $0.01 maintenance charge on my account after no usage for 2 mths - see my post above. Not a big deal for $0.01 but who knows what sneaky FP will start charging next for "FREE" service, so best to keep an eye on your CC statements

rated:
blueribb said:   My bluetooth hands-free devices stopped working with my phone.  The battery in my phone needed charging daily with the app installed but only once a week without the app.

I charged the battery in the CDMA and the GSM phones last night at 5:30.  Today, the CDMA phone has 87% charge left.  The GSM phone has 91% charge left.

Both phones connect to an external speaker and a bluetooth headset, no problems.  Both phones have the latest version of the FP app installed.

rated:
yep, looks like tello and FP are the only game in town. FP seems like it's getting to big for their pants. I'll root for the little guy.

rated:
IIUC this will work also work as "Hotspot" as compared to GSM deals where you have to pay for the "Hotspot" feature?

rated:
Just a heads up, its actually 5.99 because they make you top up $5 when you turn off auto topups.

Here's the app you need to dial through...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedompop.ott...

rated:
jd2010 said:   Just a heads up, its actually 5.99 because they make you top up $5 when you turn off auto topups.

You don't have to turn off auto-topups.
Moreover, the title of the post is "$0.99 Activation Promo" 

rated:
thumpergeek said:   Watch your credit card bill, even if you downgrade to the free service. I ordered two SIMs and got two charged for $7.99 the following month from them trying to bill me for service I couldn't even use at the time, so I downgraded to the free service on both.
  Same thing happened to me.  I am sure the $7.99 service is hidden somewhere in their agreement / web but I didn't see it.  However the CS was really responsive and quickly refunded the charges and removed that service from my account so I am worry-free now.

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017