posted 48 years ago by
jpessin3

It was almost a year and a half ago that the "Staples insiders" were predicting gloom and doom that the cashiers were telling them that paper rebates were ending. Of course, these alleged Staples insiders were wrong as paper deals are still going on.

So yes, 1 cent paper is back this week after rebate after coupon:

Staples® 8.5" x 11" multipurpose paper, ream, after easy rebate and with couponExpires 6/3/17In-Store Coupon Code: 39561

And the usual disclaimer:

Valid in Staples® U.S. stores only. Valid on item no. 513099 only. While supplies last. Limit one coupon per customer, nontransferable. Each item purchased can only be discounted by one coupon, applied by cashier in the order received. Coupon not valid if purchased or sold and must be surrendered. No cash/credit back. Not valid on prior purchases or purchases made with Staples® Procurement or Convenience Cards. Plus tax where applicable. Coupon value applied pre-tax. Expires 6/3/17.

Just a reminder that while the rebate has a limit of 4, you can only use 1 coupon per order. If you want to buy 4, you will have to do 4 separate orders (if your store allows it), or go to 4 different stores, or come back 4 different times.

Views
24 Comments
Add Comment
jpessin3 said:   It was almost a year and a half ago that the "Staples insiders" were predicting gloom and doom that the cashiers were telling them that paper rebates were ending. Of course, these alleged Staples insiders were wrong as paper deals are still going on.

You failed to mention that the Staples-Office Depot merger was blocked a year ago.

OP also didn't mention that for several months (until about a month ago) the penny reams were few and far between, and that Staples has changed it's procedures to require each ream to be purchased separately and that Staples now issues a separate $5  credit card for each rebate (instead of combining them), both changes having made this deal much more of a PIA.  

That said this is still about the last remaining hot deal at Staples.

not to mention that Staples is wasting money on mailing individual $5 card rebates...
Instead of mailing one $20 rebate card for 49 cents, they mail four separate cards for a total of $1.96 postage plus additional handling costs
I will figure out the percentage of loss to Staples after I buy a calculator... from Office Depot

My whole point was that people shouldn't quote speculation or rumors based without fact. You say it was because of the Office Depot merger, yet there is no evidence that they actually were going to get rid of rebates. You can go back to the original thread and read how people were getting all upset and down about something that never even happened. The link to the original thread is below:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1466115

WalterGuy said:   OP also didn't mention that for several months (until about a month ago) the penny reams were few and far between, and that Staples has changed it's procedures to require each ream to be purchased separately and that Staples now issues a separate $5  credit card for each rebate (instead of combining them), both changes having made this deal much more of a PIA.  

That said this is still about the last remaining hot deal at Staples

I did mention that the reams can only be purchased 1 at a time, and as far as combining rebates, they have never combined them. I have done them separately for the last 2 years and never got a combined rebate. The combined rebate myth was again based on one person's post.

That being said, why are you surprised that they are limiting the coupon to one per transaction. It very clearly says on the coupon "limit one per customer."

Office Depot OfficeMax: Office Supplies and Furniture
Disclaimer
jpessin3 said:   My whole point was that people shouldn't quote speculation or rumors based without fact. You say it was because of the Office Depot merger, yet there is no evidence that they actually were going to get rid of rebates. You can go back to the original thread and read how people were getting all upset and down about something that never even happened. The link to the original thread is below:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1466115 

It was reported by Staples employees that Staples management itself said rebates were going to end. They ran market tests in Ohio for months where they didn't offer rebates. It was not pie in the Sky watercoolor rumors or speculation. It was based on more than the usual I was talking to the store manager and they said X. Many times in the past the X rumor came to pass. Like when they changed the ink recycling program to require $30 of ink purchase. There have been others. The landscape changed when the merger was called off as others have pointed out.

jpessin3 said:   
WalterGuy said:   OP also didn't mention that for several months (until about a month ago) the penny reams were few and far between, and that Staples has changed it's procedures to require each ream to be purchased separately and that Staples now issues a separate $5  credit card for each rebate (instead of combining them), both changes having made this deal much more of a PIA.  

I did mention that the reams can only be purchased 1 at a time, and as far as combining rebates, they have never combined them. I have done them separately for the last 2 years and never got a combined rebate. The combined rebate myth was again based on one person's post.

That being said, why are you surprised that they are limiting the coupon to one per transaction. It very clearly says on the coupon "limit one per customer."

Without exaggeration, I have done at least 50 and probably over a hundred single ream rebates deals in the past where I bought all four reams at once, applied the same coupon four times, and got the rebate check/paypal/credit card for all four rebates combined.  Unfortunately Staples management made the process more mickey mouse in April.  However I need the paper and this is still the best deal around.

jpessin3 said:   ............... insiders were wrong as paper deals are still going on.

Only time I have seen people going to the store are back to school times.
Rest of the year stores are virtually empty and paper deals are the only one's to get few customers into the stores.
This is probably also the reason why they repeated the VISA GC deal only after few weeks as compared to every 6 months.
Sign of times.......

jpessin3 said:   .................. If you want to buy 4, you will have to do 4 separate orders (if your store allows it), or go to 4 different stores, or come back 4 different times.
  Just curious,  has anyone had a CSR refuse to do the 4 separate transactions in a row and instead require you to get in line 4 times?  Or refuse to ring up the multiple coupons on the "same day", at all?  So far, I have NOT had these problems but going forward ...... who knows?

jpessin3 said:   

It's not really surprising.  Just stupid and annoying since it actually accomplishes very little.  It's easy enough for anyone to print out additional coupons and just use one every time they pass by a Staples (assuming the cashier won't just let you checkout twice in a row.)  So the real issue is it's just making it slightly more of a hassle and wasting additional time for people to get and use up all the $5 rebate cards.  IF they really wanted to 'fix' their system all they have to do it change the rebate limit to 1 per person, and maybe get rid of the coupons altogether... or tie the coupons in with Staples Rewards system so it'd be easier to only allow one per account.

Lumpy05 said:   
jpessin3 said:   .................. If you want to buy 4, you will have to do 4 separate orders (if your store allows it), or go to 4 different stores, or come back 4 different times.
  Just curious,  has anyone had a CSR refuse to do the 4 separate transactions in a row and instead require you to get in line 4 times?  Or refuse to ring up the multiple coupons on the "same day", at all?  So far, I have NOT had these problems but going forward ...... who knows?

Mine did. Last week? when the Hamermill 1 cent deal was on, my Staples would let me buy 1, only one transaction. 

I couldn't find the rebate.
1. I clicked on the various hyperlinks in this forum, but it just brought me to the Staples home page.
2. I tried looking in Staple's "rebate center" and it wasn't there.
3. I did add the 500 count ream in my cart and entered the in-store coupon, but it didn't work.

pegbert said:   I couldn't find the rebate.
1. I clicked on the various hyperlinks in this forum, but it just brought me to the Staples home page.
2. I tried looking in Staple's "rebate center" and it wasn't there.
3. I did add the 500 count ream in my cart and entered the in-store coupon, but it didn't work.

Title: "in store"
From OP: " Valid in Staples U.S. stores only".

Lumpy05 said:   

Absolutely..... It has happened to me many times
My 2 local Staples have been tough on coupons for a long time, even when the register would allow multiple uses, the management and employees would NOT.
I have been on single coupon AND single purchase for a long time, ONE coupon per person per day, and that's it.
If I want 4 rebates, it takes 2 people and hit both stores to do it, to get 4.

Lumpy05 said:   

NEW ISSUE.  Just got back from purchasing 4 reams in 4 separate transactions (one after the other with the same CSR who was dumber than a sack of rocks, but that's another story).  Got home and wanted to do the easy rebates on-line as usual but when I looked at the receipts, the bar code is at the bottom of the receipt BUT there are NO NUMBERS next to the barcode!  Is this another attempt to make our lives more difficult or is this another "glitch" in the system?  Anyone else run into this?  I remember a few weeks back when the easy rebate was delayed a few days and I was preparing to fill out all the forms but then it suddenly appeared on the website.  Don't see any way around this problem except to send them in by snail mail.  Yuk!!!!

check last week's thread.  I think it was there that brusbrother posted similar issue.

Lumpy05 said:   
Lumpy05 said:   

NEW ISSUE.  Just got back from purchasing 4 reams in 4 separate transactions (one after the other with the same CSR who was dumber than a sack of rocks, but that's another story).  Got home and wanted to do the easy rebates on-line as usual but when I looked at the receipts, the bar code is at the bottom of the receipt BUT there are NO NUMBERS next to the barcode!  Is this another attempt to make our lives more difficult or is this another "glitch" in the system?  Anyone else run into this?  I remember a few weeks back when the easy rebate was delayed a few days and I was preparing to fill out all the forms but then it suddenly appeared on the website.  Don't see any way around this problem except to send them in by snail mail.  Yuk!!!!

Select email and print in store to make sure you get number on bottom
Take old slip and look for the numbers at the bottom, on top of the slip

It is very simple to figure out the bottom bar code numbers

the clerk may be quite dense, but it is your money, it is up to you to make sure it is correct, pay attention

Here is the way to break down the bar code number:

Sample Bar Code Number 05320523171311806 breaks down to the following: 0532 05 23 17 13118 06

The first 4 digits are the store number, the next 6 are the date of purchase, the next 5 digits are the transaction number , and the last 2 digits are the register number (even though your receipt will have 3 numbers for the register number, ignore the first 0).

So if the bar code number does not show up on your receipt, you can use the information from the top 2 lines of your receipt to create the number.

Thanks for the breakdown on the rebate code. I had the no barcode issue with a purchase and while it was annoying, I was able to call the rebate center and they submitted the rebate for me.

With the information here, I'd be able to save time from calling the rebate center. Thanks!

my4mainecoons said:   check last week's thread.  I think it was there that brusbrother posted similar issue.
  Thank you for the heads-up and to LorenW as well.   I did not know that this was addressed last week (I was out of town meeting a new grandchild and did not do last weeks paper deal).  I tried several "barcode" reader programs on my phone but none worked.  I will try the method suggested by hbg1 from last week's thread. https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1568553

Fatwalleter's never cease to amaze me!  I would NEVER have thought to search an old receipt to find the source of the barcode numbers ...... and probably would never have seen the relationship between the top two lines and the barcode number.  Thank you again.

So glad I don't shop at Stsples much anymore.

MrVietnam said:   So glad I don't shop at Stsples much anymore.
  I am almost there myself ? ....  

MrVietnam said:   So glad I don't shop at Stsples much anymore.
Yup. The only time I have been to stples is to buy Visa GCs for MSing.
Now even the store manager knows why I am there.

This is good timing. I usually get a few reams and donate to my kid's school/classroom at the beginning of new school year. Thanks OP.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017