posted 2 months ago by
ctgolfer
Star of the Week

Posted with ToGo

Sony NW-ZX100HN 128GB High-Resolution Digital Music Player - Silver
$399
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/SNNWZX100HNSM/Sony-NW-ZX100HN-128GB-High-Resolution-Digital-Music-Player-Silver 

Immerse yourself deeper in the sound, thanks to the NW-ZX100 series' exclusive bundled headphones. Noise Canceling mutes distractions from the world outside, so it's just you and your music.Sony 

128GB Hi-Res Walkman Portable Music Player with Digital Noise Cancelation, Compatible with a wide variety of file formats, including: DSD, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, MP3, WMA and more

Includes Noise-canceling earbuds, Bluetooth with LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming, Longest battery of any 
Walkman. Enjoy up to 70 hours of music playback

microSD memory card expansion slot for added storage capacity, 24-bit, 192kHz high-resolution audio, Engineered for Sound: 
S-Master HX full digital amp for unparalleled, delicate, and dynamic sound

DSEE HX upscales audio (MP3, AAC, ATRAC, and WMA) to near Hi-Res quality

9 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Just use your smart phone

rated:
What MP3 players/cellphones are not digital? What this Sony digital special about?

rated:
$400 for a MP3 music player.... I better use my phone

rated:
If you care about audio, you will know that this has dedicated processing for just audio. Ya, if you are happy with 160kbps mp3's then please continue to praise your smart phone, but it is $hit compared to this, or the Pioneer Audio player. These can drive larger sized headphones, and can support higher fidelyity audio files (at least the Pioneer does), have higher expandable memory (Pioneer has 2 microsd slots).

I am not too familiar with this model (more knowledgeable on the Pioneer), but it is way better than your phone, with the exception it doesn't have phone capabilities. Similar trying to argue you should just use your camera phone compared to an DSLR. Obviously one is dedicated to doing one job much better than the other.

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   If you care about audio, you will know that this has dedicated processing for just audio. Ya, if you are happy with 160kbps mp3's then please continue to praise your smart phone, but it is $hit compared to this, or the Pioneer Audio player. These can drive larger sized headphones, and can support higher fidelyity audio files (at least the Pioneer does), have higher expandable memory (Pioneer has 2 microsd slots).

I am not too familiar with this model (more knowledgeable on the Pioneer), but it is way better than your phone, with the exception it doesn't have phone capabilities. Similar trying to argue you should just use your camera phone compared to an DSLR. Obviously one is dedicated to doing one job much better than the other.

but this player is high-res, not high-def. its an audio player, not video player.

rated:
These appear to be for audiophiles with discretionary income. This device is $698.00 on 'zon with largely favorable reviews.
People with phones should just enjoy their music on those devices. This is a device for audio enthusiasts. Doubt if Neil Young, an anti- digital guy, would get this. Personally I prefer the crackle of my Micro Seiki turntable and my vinyl.

128GB Hi-Res Walkman Portable Music Player with Digital Noise Cancelation, Compatible with a wide variety of file formats, including: DSD, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, MP3, WMA and more

Includes Noise-canceling earbuds, Bluetooth with LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming, Longest battery of any
Walkman. Enjoy up to 70 hours of music playback

microSD memory card expansion slot for added storage capacity, 24-bit, 192kHz high-resolution audio, Engineered for Sound:
S-Master HX full digital amp for unparalleled, delicate, and dynamic sound

DSEE HX upscales audio (MP3, AAC, ATRAC, and WMA) to near Hi-Res quality

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   If you care about audio, you will know that this has dedicated processing for just audio. Ya, if you are happy with 160kbps mp3's then please continue to praise your smart phone, but it is $hit compared to this, or the Pioneer Audio player. These can drive larger sized headphones, and can support higher fidelyity audio files (at least the Pioneer does), have higher expandable memory (Pioneer has 2 microsd slots).

Except that most phone operating systems can handle formats that are far higher resolution. Most people don't have the desire to use them because the lossless formats take up a lot more storage and offer very little quality improvements when listened to on the device with standard earbud headphones. Dedicated processing for audio *can* help with signal to noise ratio and the various forms of distortion, but we are still dealing with digital signals that suffer from aliasing noise and other digital artifacts. You also have the added insult of noise cancelling headphones which are notorious for causing strange digital artifacts to audio signals. Finally, just because the player sample rate is twice that of a standard CD doesn't mean that the audio quality will be better than the original source CD.

Bottom line: This is a nice digital audio product, but I suspect that the audio quality would be indistinguishable from that from a decent quality phone at standard CD audio sampling rate. The battery life is amazing as is the size of the product. Other than that, I still prefer my 10 year old Microsoft Zune.30GB!

rated:

My Nexus 6 plays 320 kbps mp3 audio, as well as lossless FLAC. Snobbish much?

The higher quality you're probably referring to may be the DACs, the hardware that converts digital to analog sound.  But I agree with ViveLeRoi that it'd be a rare adult with ears that could distinguish and difference.  The headphones make a far bigger difference.

rated:

you just murdered them with your last two lines

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017