Avatar
posted 1 month ago by
mnt_71
Senior Member

Amazon is offering Prime Membership for $5.99/Mo. to Low Income Families!

  • For those who get benefits such as through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, can pay , which would include free shipping and unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video. The regular annual membership is $99 per year. But those who cannot afford to pay up front have to pay $10.99 a month for the same benefits.



See more below:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/06/06/amazon-fights-wal... 

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/06/amazon-offers-prime-discount-to-t... 

 

9062 Views
86 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
$72/yr is not much of a discount for low-income folks

rated:
Here's the link

https://www.amazon.com/l/16256994011

Note: EBT card and photo of EBT required as proof of eligibility. Renews every 12 months, up to 48 months.

rated:
Someone on EBT doesn't have $72 a year to spend on Prime...toilet paper yes, Prime no. This is ridiculous. And as far as being welfare, couldn't any promotional price be considered welfare? Hello fatwallet!

rated:
If Amazon wants to increase their Prime membership base, they could offer a basic "free-shipping only" membership for $79 per year or offer a "buy 3 years, get 1 year free" deal. I have Amazon's Prime VISA card and save 5% on every Amazon purchase. I have been spending an average of $2000 per year, so my membership is paid in full each year.

rated:
danhouston said:   $72/yr is not much of a discount for low-income folks

You didn't word it quite right. The COST is $72/year. The discount is only $27 since a year of Prime normally costs $99.

And yes, a $27 discount won't do much for these folks. They really don't need faster shipping or free movies that badly. $72 is still far too much if you can't pay for your own food. Amazon is simply customizing it's prices to people's income.
However, I doubt they will get many takers.

rated:
mnt_71 said:   ... unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video. Wouldn't a better benefit be free self-improvement books?
  

rated:
However it may be beneficial for getting pantry items, medicines, clothing, school supplies and other legitimate household goods delivered versus their usual transportation costs. In some areas, there aren't even decent grocery stores nearby for lower income folks to shop at. However whether UPS delivery would be feasible in these areas is another issue.

There are elderly, disabled, and home bound low income people who might be able to make such an offer work. Amazon isn't all tech toys you know.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
danhouston said:   $72/yr is not much of a discount for low-income folks

You didn't word it quite right. The COST is $72/year. The discount is only $27 since a year of Prime normally costs $99.

And yes, a $27 discount won't do much for these folks. They really don't need faster shipping or free movies that badly. $72 is still far too much if you can't pay for your own food. Amazon is simply customizing it's prices to people's income.
However, I doubt they will get many takers.

 
its $110 a year now.
they dont care if they save money for the poor. this is how they advertise themselves on all social media sites and forums.
 

rated:
danhouston said:   $72/yr is not much of a discount for low-income folks
  It helped the AMZN stock to shoot up a bit more

rated:
Thanks for the link. The only problem is it asks for a 19 digit ebt #, mine only has 16 digits, and it won't let me upload or proceed without having 19 digits. I spoke to customer care and they offered to refund me the difference if I signed up for full price Prime, which was typical Amazon awesomeness. I thanked Kumar for his helpfulness, but told him I better check with my mom first, cuz $72 is still a bit steep for me at the moment. Think she has Prime and can add me to the family plan. Just one glitch they'll probably fix soon. I do miss all my free trials of Prime, it saved me a lot of money buying necessities that are better qualities and more competitively priced then local stores. Too bad they had to start charging tax to VT though, I get it, but it's a bummer.

rated:
Not welfare. If anything I would say charity. Probably PR.

This would help low income families who can't lay out the full price of prime but could certainly use the savings of prime shopping. How many people here save money buying basic items on Amazon. Nobody pays for prime for videos.

rated:
sat1600 said:   Not welfare. If anything I would say charity. Probably PR.

This would help low income families who can't lay out the full price of prime but could certainly use the savings of prime shopping. How many people here save money buying basic items on Amazon. Nobody pays for prime for videos.

  Very true- Hulu and Netflix are superior, and through a NYC area VPN and chrome location spoofing NYC area, I can currently churn free Youtube TV trials, which is actually pretty cool with the unlimited DVR and local channels. Watching Tucker Carlson and Judge Judy without commercials while getting medicated is actually pretty awesome. I kind of hate him but I love watching him rip apart liberal hypocrisy, even though I'm a progressive.

rated:
Do you really think Amazon cares about low income families? Another way to expand business.

rated:
chesspokerface said:   Thanks for the link. The only problem is it asks for a 19 digit ebt #, mine only has 16 digits, and it won't let me upload or proceed without having 19 digits. I spoke to customer care and they offered to refund me the difference if I signed up for full price Prime, which was typical Amazon awesomeness. I thanked Kumar for his helpfulness, but told him I better check with my mom first, cuz $72 is still a bit steep for me at the moment. Think she has Prime and can add me to the family plan. Just one glitch they'll probably fix soon. I do miss all my free trials of Prime, it saved me a lot of money buying necessities that are better qualities and more competitively priced then local stores. Too bad they had to start charging tax to VT though, I get it, but it's a bummer.
  foodstamp is for very low income families. do you work at all? even with my weekend part time hours, i am still not qualified for foodstamp.

rated:
WTF that low income families need prime? More way to spend money that they don't have?

rated:
Rambler said:   More welfare.
  Let me guess, trillions of dollars in welfare for the billionaires, who don't need more money, but are drooling over it anyway because of endless greed, is OK with you. Unless you own tons of Amazon stocks, I don't see how they are trying to help poor people affects you in any way.

rated:
johndoe663 said:   WTF that low income families need prime? More way to spend money that they don't have?
  Buying necessities in poor red counties where grocery stores don't exist? Since they don't have much money, I don't think they can spend enough for free shipping each time. There is a huge cost to be poor, since you obviously have never been poor in your life.

rated:
chesspokerface said:   Thanks for the link. The only problem is it asks for a 19 digit ebt #, mine only has 16 digits, and it won't let me upload or proceed without having 19 digits. I spoke to customer care and they offered to refund me the difference if I signed up for full price Prime, which was typical Amazon awesomeness. I thanked Kumar for his helpfulness, but told him I better check with my mom first, cuz $72 is still a bit steep for me at the moment. Think she has Prime and can add me to the family plan. Just one glitch they'll probably fix soon. I do miss all my free trials of Prime, it saved me a lot of money buying necessities that are better qualities and more competitively priced then local stores. Too bad they had to start charging tax to VT though, I get it, but it's a bummer.
  Note: This monthly offer does not include Household sharing of Prime benefits. You will need to qualify every 12 months, for up to 48 months. 

rated:
Millionaires can get food stamps legally as its based on income, not assets. I don't qualify & most people get just $16 a month in food stamps & 80% of food stamps are for children, mostly of men who don't pay support, remember that next time you attack those on food stamps

rated:
I am sure it will be very good for some low income families with the cost of gas these days, even if they do own a car.

rated:
pacificgrovecity said:   Millionaires can get food stamps legally as its based on income, not assets. I don't qualify & most people get just $16 a month in food stamps & 80% of food stamps are for children, mostly of men who don't pay support, remember that next time you attack those on food stamps
Food stamps are nothing compared to the trillions in corporate welfare and war for big oil. Walmart alone costs us over $6 billion in public assistance every year, because they refuse to pay their workers a living wage. We, the taxpayers, pay for the food stamps, but do not get a penny of Walmart's profits. If you don't want to pay for food stamps, force companies like Walmart to pay their workers enough so they don't even qualify for food stamps.

rated:
Goes well with the free food,housing, cell service,internet, education they are already receiving

rated:
Here for the comments!

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
danhouston said:   $72/yr is not much of a discount for low-income folks

You didn't word it quite right. The COST is $72/year. The discount is only $27 since a year of Prime normally costs $99.

And yes, a $27 discount won't do much for these folks. They really don't need faster shipping or free movies that badly. $72 is still far too much if you can't pay for your own food. Amazon is simply customizing it's prices to people's income.
However, I doubt they will get many takers.

  I bet you're dead wrong on the "not many takers" part.  There are tons of people getting govt. benefits who are already shelling out the $99.  They'll gladly take the free $27.
 

rated:
pacificgrovecity said:   Millionaires can get food stamps legally as its based on income, not assets. I don't qualify & most people get just $16 a month in food stamps & 80% of food stamps are for children, mostly of men who don't pay support, remember that next time you attack those on food stamps
  Nonsense, most people only get $16.   The average amount paid is $255 a month.

rated:
Wow, here in the S.F. Bay Area my family is considered low income at $88k/yr...no benefits coming my way, though. At least FW makes a difference. Only here to get full retirement then packing up.

Stats:
A family of four with an income of $105,350 per year is considered “low income.” A $65,800 annual income is considered “very low” for a family the same size, and $39,500 is “extremely low.” The median income for those areas is $115,300. Other Bay Area counties are not far behind. Apr 22, 2017 Mercury News

rated:
granthell said:   
johndoe663 said:   WTF that low income families need prime? More way to spend money that they don't have?
  Buying necessities in poor red counties where grocery stores don't exist? Since they don't have much money, I don't think they can spend enough for free shipping each time. There is a huge cost to be poor, since you obviously have never been poor in your life.

Yes, the cost is $72 per year.  

rated:
Does Amazon take food stamps for their products? Could be good for home bound elderly or disabled. $79 is nothing compared to car costs!

rated:
ezwrighter said:   Does Amazon take food stamps for their products? Could be good for home bound elderly or disabled. $79 is nothing compared to car costs!
  
Looks like they're working on that : https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/17/amazon-accep...
 

rated:
This is part of Amazon / Walmart encroaching on each others business... low cost prime gives free shipping so if they are competitive on price they can cut into one of walmarts markets online retailers haven't been able to make a dent in yet.

For low income folks... it makes a lot of sense to pay the same or less and have their food delivered... no travel expenses and they may not have a means of travelling anyway.

Its not 'welfare' its marketing... chances are low income folks aren't going to be buying 70" tvs and such that need to be shipped... so prime is likely to cost them less in shipping over the course of the year anyway.

rated:
pacificgrovecity said:     Note: This monthly offer does not include Household sharing of Prime benefits. You will need to qualify every 12 months, for up to 48 months. 
  
So 2 poor households could get shared membership at cheaper price ($50 each) compared to discounted membership and no documentation necessary?

or the other way to look at is: poor households should pay $72 and produce documentation vs high income people sharing membership paying $50.

Hah.. Amazon and its greed...

rated:
chesspokerface said:   Thanks for the link. The only problem is it asks for a 19 digit ebt #, mine only has 16 digits, and it won't let me upload or proceed without having 19 digits. I spoke to customer care and they offered to refund me the difference if I signed up for full price Prime, which was typical Amazon awesomeness. I thanked Kumar for his helpfulness, but told him I better check with my mom first, cuz $72 is still a bit steep for me at the moment. Think she has Prime and can add me to the family plan. Just one glitch they'll probably fix soon. I do miss all my free trials of Prime, it saved me a lot of money buying necessities that are better qualities and more competitively priced then local stores. Too bad they had to start charging tax to VT though, I get it, but it's a bummer.
  I assume you would put three leading zeros. For example, 000################.

rated:
nortotron said:   
pacificgrovecity said:     Note: This monthly offer does not include Household sharing of Prime benefits. You will need to qualify every 12 months, for up to 48 months. 
  
So 2 poor households could get shared membership at cheaper price ($50 each) compared to discounted membership and no documentation necessary?

or the other way to look at is: poor households should pay $72 and produce documentation vs high income people sharing membership paying $50.

Hah.. Amazon and its greed...

  

I'm pretty sure membership sharing is supposed to be between members of the same household only.     Household sharing for prime says it also shares your payment methods.   

 

rated:
I JUST HAVE A FEELING THERE IS NOBODY ON WELFARE USING FATWALLET, AND I AM JUST CURIOUS IF THERE IS ANYBODY.

IF THERE IS SOMEBODY ON WELFARE, CAN THEY MENTION IT SO?  OR DO YOU GUYS BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY WELFARE RECIPIENTS USING FATWALLET?

 

rated:
One famous billionaire freeloader doesn't pay a dime in taxes but you losers are whining about a single mother and and her kid saving $27.00.

This is rich....and demented.

rated:
granthell said:   
johndoe663 said:   WTF that low income families need prime? More way to spend money that they don't have?
  Buying necessities in poor red counties where grocery stores don't exist? Since they don't have much money, I don't think they can spend enough for free shipping each time. There is a huge cost to be poor, since you obviously have never been poor in your life.

 What make you think I've never been poor.  I just concern that low income people got lure into something they don't necessary need.  I know how difficult to make a living, and I earn every dollar with blood and sweat, so STFU.  

rated:
SNAP and "welfare" are different programs (at least in Florida). My wife and I got SNAP (food stamps) when she was pregnant with our first child 24 years ago. We went to the Dept. of children and families for prenatal care and they gave us food stamps as well. We were young (barely 18) and living with my parents. I had never bought groceries before, so we went to the store and looked around and ended up getting some steaks and a lobster tail. The people in line behind us were pissed when we pulled out our book of stamps ($50 as I recall). I went in the military a couple of month later and that ended that. We still laugh about how stupid we where back then.

rated:
I say wait until next Emmy's when they offer reduced membership. Everyone hope Transparent wins again as I seem to recall that is what triggers it.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017