posted 48 years ago by
MasterDebator
Words as Weapons

Posted with ToGo

EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Refurbished
$84.00 shipped
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-50mm-f-18-stm-refurbished 

coupon code PAYPAL10 + $12 shipping = $84 shipped. Free shipping with a $100+ purchase. 

Views
13 Comments
Add Comment
If you don't have one of these, buy it. It's on my camera 90% of the time.

patofw said:   If you don't have one of these, buy it. It's on my camera 90% of the time.
  I have had my original 50mm f1.8 for over 30 years and love it.. gonna grab one of these for a backup

A quick chat with a canon rep should net you free expedited shipping.. $76 shipped to my door..

I have this and 40mm f2.8, although personally I prefer the slightly wider angle of the 40mm, I'd recommend this lens to anyone. it produces terrific image at a very affordable price.

Yup ,need to have one! Thanks.

amandapasamonte said:   Yup ,need to have one! Thanks.
  What is the benefit of this lens?

It's great in low-light. I use it all the time to take pics of my kids indoors. And even outdoors I prefer the look of this focal length to get pics of them almost anywhere.

Also bokehlicious

patofw said:   It's great in low-light. I use it all the time to take pics of my kids indoors. And even outdoors I prefer the look of this focal length to get pics of them almost anywhere.

Also bokehlicious

Thank you. I'm going to try one.

poorfatkid said:   
amandapasamonte said:   Yup ,need to have one! Thanks.
  What is the benefit of this lens?

1) At f/1.8 at the widest setting, this is quite a fast lens and will let you shoot in much lower light conditions at a lower (more detailed, less grainy) ISO setting than a kit lens or pretty much any point-and-shoot camera that doesn't cost more than an entry-level DSLR.

2)  It produces a lot of bokeh, the blurred-out background effect, when you have it set for a wide aperture, which centers the attention on the subject of your photo.  This is particularly useful for shooting photos of people and of floral subjects.  Back the aperture out to a narrower setting and everything in your viewfinder and photo, near or far, comes into sharp focus.

3)  50mm is a pretty useful focal length - you can still get photos of small groups indoors (although I often find myself wishing it was a 35mm or 40mm to get a bit wider view) and you still can get pretty decent photos at more of a range.

4)  This is an STM lens, which means it has a quieter motor when it is autofocusing than older model lenses and is better suited for video - you won't hear much if any noise in your videos while the lens motor is operating.

5)  While its body is relatively lightweight plastic and it isn't so solid-feeling, compared to a pro-level lens, this lens has the quality where it matters most, in the glass.  All of my photos with my EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR (the compact one kind of between the T5 and T5i in Canon's lineup) are vastly superior to anything I could take with my old Panasonic Lumix G2 micro-4/3rds interchangeable lens DSLR-like camera that cost more than my SL1, but I'd have to say that they are slightly sharper and crisper with this 50mm lens than with the 18-55mm STM kit lens.  Other than getting one of the significantly more expensive f/1.4 or f/1.2 50mm lenses for even better low-light performance, I can't imagine that many, if any, amateur photographers would have problems with this lens' image quality.

6) I've now made all of my DSLR purchase (SL1 w/ 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, and then the 50mm f/1.8 STM lens) directly from Canon, all of them were refurbished at significant discount, all were in brand-new condition but for the plain box, and all come with the same 1-year warranty from Canon as brand new items.  Not to mention that Canon's customer service is second to none in the photography industry - unlike companies like Pentax and Fuji (who in my experience have refused to recognize well-known defects in their products and fight the customers on warranty claims, e.g. Optio 555, see Fuji XF1 reviews on Amazon), Sony (who farms out their repairs to 3rd parties and then wash their hands of any problems thereafter - see reviews on Amazon for Sony A7), or Nikon which has quite variable service.  My family and I have had several long-out-of-warranty cameras that Canon has fixed free of charge because they recognized they had chronic defects (as is the case with many manufacturers' cameras), but Canon takes responsibility for its products, and they take care of their customers.

In other words, if you don't have a fast prime (single focal length) lens for your Canon DSLR, jump on this deal - I think you'll find it's one of the best photography purchases you've ever made and you'd probably still say that if you bought it at full retail price (about $120).

Excellent price on a cheap ass lens that is best in everything.

Think I've seen this lens go as low as $80 but that was years ago.

Amazing lens. As others noted, it can be too 'long' when using indoors (ie you will find yourself often backing up against a wall), but for the price it's a no brainer.

One tip would be to resist the urge to stay at the 1.8 f stop unless needed, you will get your best images at f2.8-4 or so. When you need that f/1.8 though, it is nice to have it

Ask in chat for free shipping code, I got an Expedited 2-day shipping for free

Thanks OP. Chatted with rep and received free shipping code. My daughter and I both have Canon DSLR cameras.

Can't wait to play with this one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017