posted 48 years ago by
Respawn
Senior Member - 1K

Videotape to DVD Transfer $5 @ LivingSocial

Want to watch some of those family movies without digging out and hooking up the VCR? LivingSocial has a deal on a Videotape to DVD Transfer for $5.00. You can also transfer up to 12 video tapes for $60

Views
7 Comments
Add Comment
Be prepared to buy before you click on the link. It offers you a discount with a 5-minute window.

In case anyone doesn't want to click on that link in a private window in order to prevent any sort of cookies from starting some timer, here's more information:

The 5 minute window is to pay $4.29 instead of $5

This is for https://southtree.com

The deal is for tape -> DVD, which is normally $12.95

Information on the service can be found on website. Normally services like this limit the transfer to 2 hours unless more is paid. Unsure what Southtree's pricing is for tapes that are over two hours with this deal. Also with tapes that are PAL instead of NTSC.

"Shipping not included"

Checked the site and shipping is another $15.95. Looks like a flat rate no matter how many tapes you do.

Why not just buy a video capture device like this one?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HE0YP1219
At $5 + $4 shipping, that's less than the price of 2 transfers

amhidogha said:   Why not just buy a video capture device like this one?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HE0YP1219
At $5 + $4 shipping, that's less than the price of 2 transfers

There is the element of time for which to account as well. I did a project like this a couple years ago to transfer a few dozen tapes, and at a bare minimum, you've got to set up your VCR/camcorder to play the video through to your PC at a 1:1 ratio, then you've got to burn it to disc. That assumes you're not going to be picky like me and want to edit everything to cut out empty space and static and make sure everything plays correctly. Sure, you can go do something else while the tape is transferring, but you may want to stick around to make sure everything keeps transferring properly.

The specific product you listed seems to not be well-received by most reviewers. In my case, I bought an old Adaptec Gamebridge from eBay, as people seemed to praise it a lot. Only problem, and a rather large one at that, is that it was not compatible with Windows 7/8/10. I had to set up a WinXP virtual machine and run it through that. It was more complicated than I'd have liked, and I'm not sure I'd remember how to do it now if I tried. The results were very nice though, and with the free editor Lightworks I was able to crop out all the static at the beginning and end, and the occasional long pauses between shots.

That being said, having to ship out what is likely the only copy of some precious videos would just make me paranoid.

Is BetaED supported, or SuperBeta II?

I only have 1 hour max on 1 VCR tape and but the $15.95 Shipping busts the deal.

Does Sam's or somewhere have discount pricing for this?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017