posted 16 days ago by
bawaji
Broke Member

Newegg has the Seagate ST8000DM002 8TB 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal drive for $219.99.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178866 

$239.99 minus $20 Promo Code: 0622SAC32

8 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Jun. 27, 2017 @ 2:54pm
rated:
Looks like it's a real drive, not a SMR drive. That's a pretty great price.

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   Looks like it's a real drive, not a SMR drive. That's a pretty great price.

Just curious... how do you know it's not a SMR drive?  Because a SMR drive would have a slower write speed?  I couldn't find anything in the description stating it uses PMR.

Regardless, people should know these are great in theory but present a whole host of other problems--slow boot times, loud noise (might improve with a firmware update), and that is a LOT of data to potentially lose, back up, or format.

Most users will get better utility from two or more 3-4GB drives, than a giant 8GB one.

rated:

rated:
1% Failure rate according to Backblaze (Out of 9800+ units). Much better than other Seagate types.

rated:
When I click the link, it shows me "cann't find the item"...

rated:
oh wow it does say that now. I clicked earlier.

rated:
I've been mostly a fan of Seagate [7200rpm] drives over the years. I've had 2tb variations running in a RAID 5 array since 2011, the other drives in the array being Hitachis. I'm not a fan of the massive load cycle counts that these accumulate over the years with the head parking. This is a mechanical movement, the more times it happens the greater my probability for mechanical failure. I'm getting SMART warnings on the ST3000DM001 3TB drives I have and the ST2000DM002 drives in the RAID 5 array because of the head parking issue - I expect them to go at any time, though I can't complain with a 6 year service life. There are ways to turn this feature off which I am going to try on the 3TB drives to see what happens.

With any single drive, I'd only put data on it that I wasn't afraid to lose. Multiple backup solutions should be used for important data.

This is a good price for an 8tb drive.

rated:
Boiou said:   When I click the link, it shows me "cann't find the item"...
  I updated the first post with the whole link shown. It was working when I posted. Hope it works now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178866

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017