posted 1 month ago by
forbin4040
Senior Member - 10K

Virgin Mobile (A Sprint MVNO) is changing to iPhone only format.
Buy any iphone (At regular prices)
And get $50 level of service for $1 a month for 12 months.
(Unlimited Talk , Text , Data) 
(Data has throttling rules, see the link)

https://www.virginmobileusa.com/plans 

Phone Port, iPhone Purchase and Autopay subscription required.
Lowest phone is $279.  So this is $280 for a year of unlimited data, ($25/month?)

Edit : Thought it was $1/month, it's $1/year

37 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: Thank you for participating in the forums. However, this topic has been covered in a recent post Here. — Jun. 21, 2017 @ 1:48pm
rated:
too much requirements..

rated:
what's the catch here? any contracts?

rated:
check coverage and try out because outside of houston there is absolute no coverage and unlimited doesnt mean anything if it doesnt work.

rated:
Biggest catch is that taxes aren't included. Plus you're buying a $$$$ phone.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Biggest catch is that taxes aren't included. Plus you're buying a $$$$ phone.
  Even so, you can flip the phone in a year and come out ahead with this deal.  However it is Sprint.

rated:
Phone and taxes will be more than $300 for the year. Not saying it's a bad deal, but they are being very deceptive about the actual total cost.
Reminds me of the 12 CDs for $0.01 deal from back in the day.

rated:
I'm at $1,000 a year per phone, not sure if you have service how this isn't hot.

rated:
I took the bait. $348 total for 12 months. About the same price I'm paying for with the TMobile $30 prepaid, but I get a free Iphone 6

rated:
Note that there are other perks.  You also get a BOGO free on Virgin Atlantic from the US to Europe (UK I think).  You have to pay taxes and fees on the second ticket so it's not totally free.  Also you get some heavy discount on Virgin Wines and a free third night at a Virgin hotel.  So you get a bit more than just a cheap plan.  

rated:
minyase said:   what's the catch here? any contracts?
  The catch is that it's Virgin Mobile. Outside of a dense city the thing won't work.

rated:
Does anyone know if I can port my FreedomPop number to VM in this deal. What are the eligible carriers?

rated:
frustrating that they don't let you see the total before paying. especially since the order form says you're paying $50/month, without indicating whether you get the $1/month offer.

edited to add:
using a dummy debit card, i learned that they require your credit/debit card info before giving you the price, but don't actually charge you. i am instinctively distrustful of any web form that requires your payment info before giving you the total.

rated:
So when my current android device that I'm using for Virgin Mobile dies, it appears my only choice will be the iPhone and my rate will jump from 35/mo to 50/mo.

Interesting business move for screwing existing customers...

rated:
mikk1 said:   So when my current android device that I'm using for Virgin Mobile dies, it appears my only choice will be the iPhone and my rate will jump from 35/mo to 50/mo.

Interesting business move for screwing existing customers...

Not really. If you check out their support forums, they explain that they will continue to sell Android phones to current customers.

rated:
I was on the fence with this deal until I learned that the "Virgin Mobile Inner Circle" plan does not include HotSpot / Tethering service. It requires an extra $10 per month to be able to tether. This is a deal breaker for me.
https://community.virginmobileusa.com/t5/My-Account-Plans-Orders...

rated:
cyfan said:   Note that there are other perks.  You also get a BOGO free on Virgin Atlantic from the US to Europe (UK I think).  You have to pay taxes and fees on the second ticket so it's not totally free.  Also you get some heavy discount on Virgin Wines and a free third night at a Virgin hotel.  So you get a bit more than just a cheap plan.  
  You also get 10 - 20% off any Alaska Air ticket or Virgin America flights as well.

rated:
so no more android I can see? I was thinking about going back

rated:
crystal6218 said:   so no more android I can see? I was thinking about going back
  They will continue to sell Android phones to customers. You will need to be logged in to see the phones.

rated:
timswim78 said:   
crystal6218 said:   so no more android I can see? I was thinking about going back
  They will continue to sell Android phones to customers. You will need to be logged in to see the phones.

If you want Android, I recommend metropcs (owned by T-Mobile).  I bought a Moto G4 play unlocked and use metropcs for $25 a month for 2gb LTE and free blah blah blah.  It really works out well.

rated:
robbertou said:   Does anyone know if I can port my FreedomPop number to VM in this deal. What are the eligible carriers?
  Just input your nbr on the first page & see. FP does work

My Bank of America flagged it as fraud three times.  BofA Canceled my CC too. I suggest buying it at the store.
I called the deal people & the guy said for me to push Ctrl Alt Del.  If you get your CC Canceled, you cant use it to buy at the store. duh

rated:
Quick update on this deal.
Iphone 6 for $320 + tax.
According to VM the phone can be unlocked after 14 days. Link

After you activate and port your number you still have to pay a monthly fee, $1.08 in our instance.

I can't find proof but I believe you can take your unlocked iphone 6 and use it on the ATT and T-Mobile network.

rated:
Has anyone tried to use a new unactivated Iphone from VM bought a few months ago on this deal?  I still have a sealed 5s 32gb I couldn't unlock on eBay sitting around.

rated:
Try it. What do you have to lose? It's not as if the seal is preserving the value of the phone.

rated:
is there an activation fee?

rated:
Can I buy in the Apple Store (unlocked) or do I have to buy the iPhone from them?

rated:
anaray said:   Can I buy in the Apple Store (unlocked) or do I have to buy the iPhone from them?
  From them, they gotta make something from this deal.

rated:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your question, I am happy to
assist.

With regards to your question, yes, you can purchase a new iPhone from
Apple Store and keep your current number. Once the phone is activate, we
can transfer your current number to the new phone. The $1 (for 12
months) offer is limited to activations made from June 21 to July 31,
2017. Activations made after July
31, 2017 will limit the effectivity of $1 offer to 6 months. Customers
on the promotional plans will be responsible for taxes and fees in
addition to the low cost monthly recurring charge.

Have more questions? Check out the Device Support or go to Frequently
Asked Questions

Want to connect with other Virgin users? Visit the Virgin Mobile
Community Forum to review posts from other Virgin users or create a
profile to post a question of your own.

Check out International Plans, Data Packs and More!

Thanks,

Genalyn F.
Virgin Mobile Customer eCare Team
www.virginmobileusa.com

rated:
Which B&M stores sell Virgin Mobile iPhones?

rated:
all the big ones

rated:
I checked Bestbuy and i don't see iPhones with Virgin Mobile.

rated:
can we activate Sprint iPhone on Virgin ?

rated:
It should work

rated:
I would like to do this, except I'm not sure if I can qualify. I've been so thrifty that I've been using google voice. Can I transfer a google voice number to fulfill the requirement of "transferring your number?" I submitted this question on their website yesterday and am still waiting on an answer.

rated:
virgin or should i say Sprint service blows

rated:
i think Sprint phone are cdma.. it only work on Sprint network.. or is this iphone cdma and gsm?

rated:
guardianx said:   i think Sprint phone are cdma.. it only work on Sprint network.. or is this iphone cdma and gsm?
  If I remember correctly, Sprint 's Iphone have cdma + other bands in their phones.  However, they will need to be unlocked.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Biggest catch is that taxes aren't included. Plus you're buying a $$$$ phone.
  Monthly $50 plan taxes aren't included? That's weird because I have their $35/month plan on my phone and there are no other charges than the regular $35/month...all included monthly. Somehow it doesn't seem as a good deal now if one is paying monthly taxes and fees...which can be almost $15/month. Is this correct or am I wrong?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017