posted 1 month ago by
RedWolfe01
Senior Member - 3K

This is a bit different from the version on T-Mobile, basically Samsung is directly rebating the cost of the second device directly to your card.  It also is enabling you to buy OR finance the device.  (T-Mobile forces you to do some specific registering and has tight windows -- plus you have to finance the device)

One major advantage is that you can sell the second device immediately without opening it at all.  That was always a limit with the Tmobile ones, you were stuck with it until they finally sent your card out.  As long as you activate ONE of the devices on Tmobile you qualify.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/t-mobile-free-galaxy-s8-...   

23 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Jul. 22, 2017 @ 4:08am
rated:
could you "activate" one of the phones using a friend's sim and then use it on another GSM network?

rated:
cwhiteh2 said:   could you "activate" one of the phones using a friend's sim and then use it on another GSM network?
  Probably but everything I read is phones not directly from tmobile unlocking is very difficult. Tmobile says Samsung needs to do it and Samsung says tmobile does. Big thread on reddit and elsewhere. 

rated:
Thanks for the reply. I've got research to do on how to stay on cricket ($100 for 5 lines) but get new phones for 4 people. Currently on galaxy s4's and s5's (which have zero battery life, cracked screens and dead head phone jacks). Paying ~$3000 for 4 new (latest, greatest) phones is impossible. I remember when you could buy a new Hyundai for that

rated:
I had T-Mobile refuse to honor a BOGO because for some reason the application didn't go through. I didn't know their system well enough to know I needed to get a specific "receipt" to prove I registered. By the time you know it didn't work (2 months later) they won't let you register.

I trust Samsung a bit more to honor the spirit of their offers as much as the letter. (disclaimer, I used to work for Samsung Networks)

cwhiteh2 -- these BOGOs and a flood of s7s should be hitting the marketplace pretty soon. I would just stick with better-rated eBay phones for Cricket. Any AT&T handset will work. S7s and S7 Edges are $400 or so now, FWIW.

Edit to add:  in general T-Mobile (for all its loud "Freedom" talk) is pretty strict about unlocking their handsets.  Basically if you can't get their app-based unlocker to work then you are SOL.  Their unlocker basically requires the device to have been registered -- so you can't just unlock it without opening the box like AT&T.  My "primary" handset was paid off and the unlocker worked just fine though.

rated:
cwhiteh2 said:   Thanks for the reply. I've got research to do on how to stay on cricket ($100 for 5 lines) but get new phones for 4 people. Currently on galaxy s4's and s5's (which have zero battery life, cracked screens and dead head phone jacks). Paying ~$3000 for 4 new (latest, greatest) phones is impossible. I remember when you could buy a new Hyundai for that

Moto G5 at Costco

rated:
Never got a clear answer from the other thread if you have to activate a new line of service on your plan. The Shop Samsung app says you have to activate a new line of service and both phones.

rated:
Grimace94 said:   Never got a clear answer from the other thread if you have to activate a new line of service on your plan. The Shop Samsung app says you have to activate a new line of service and both phones.

You only need to activate one phone through your Samsung account using an existing or new Tmobile line. When you create the Samsung account and buy the phones, you will automatically see the activation information under "My Account". I already got my phones, activated one through Samsung on an existing Simple Choice line and received an activation confirmation from Samsung. Hopefully I will get my rebate soon.

rated:
then, is it okay to buy BOGO and activate just one phone on my existing T mobile account? and sell the other one, once rebate is received?

rated:
Monthly postpaid voice & data plan activation required on T-Mobile network on at least one of the two devices being purchased. Activation must be completed through Samsung. com.

Looks like it won't work with tmobile prepaid plans

rated:
anyone know if you need to sign a contact with T-Mobile?

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   This is a bit different from the version on T-Mobile, basically Samsung is directly rebating the cost of the second device directly to your card.  It also is enabling you to buy OR finance the device.  (T-Mobile forces you to do some specific registering and has tight windows -- plus you have to finance the device)

One major advantage is that you can sell the second device immediately without opening it at all.  That was always a limit with the Tmobile ones, you were stuck with it until they finally sent your card out.  As long as you activate ONE of the devices on Tmobile you qualify.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/t-mobile-free-galaxy-s8-...   

mention "ONE" on ur topic so nobody would be interested on ur deal.

rated:
You better plan to have each phone on a TMobile plan for at least 40 days before you can unlock it for other networks. Only TMobile can unlock it, and they will only do it after 40 days.

rated:
so can you buy this as an existing tmobile customer...do you need to sign up for a new plan?

rated:
wassupd0c said:   so can you buy this as an existing tmobile customer...do you need to sign up for a new plan?

no, u have to sign up with the ONE plan, which is very expensive. thats why OP pretended not to mentioned on his subject line.
its one of the reasons he got all thumbdowns.

rated:
microkelvin said:   
wassupd0c said:   so can you buy this as an existing tmobile customer...do you need to sign up for a new plan?

no, u have to sign up with the ONE plan, which is very expensive. thats why OP pretended not to mentioned on his subject line.
its one of the reasons he got all thumbdowns.

It works on Simple Choice plans too.  It SAYS its a T-Mobile deal in the title.  Since when has ANY T-Mobile deal not required activating at least one phone/line?  This is mainly going to appeal to those who already have T-Mobile plans, and Tmobile has been pushing all of its pre-paid to Metro.  Go look for "pre-paid" plans on Tmobile.com....  you won't find any.

You can sell the second phone without even opening it, obviously to another T-Mobile customer who can fulfill their unlocking requirements on their own.  

Edit to add:  you can sell the extra handset to a MetroPCS customer as well.

rated:
superman said:   then, is it okay to buy BOGO and activate just one phone on my existing T mobile account? and sell the other one, once rebate is received?

You don't need to wait on the rebate to sell the spare, since it is not tied to a finance account and is fully paid for.  As long as the phone you DID activate is still active in 8 weeks you will get the rebate.  The terms only apply to one device.

Normally with T-mobiles version they require financing which ties them both to your account until the rebate card comes in.    That means the second phone is generally considered "like  new" versus "NIB,Unopened"  

I already have a co-worker interested in buying the spare and I haven't received it yet....

rated:
second question... can this be activate on my existing T mobile account or has to open new plan?

rated:
superman said:   second question... can this be activate on my existing T mobile account or has to open new plan?

This deal is directly from Samsung, not Tmobile. Many people mix up the two deals. With this deal from Samsung you can have a current Tmobile plan and don't need to activate a new plan or new line. I bought the phones and have an existing Simple Choice Plan with Tmobile. You only need to activate one phone on your Samsung account to get the rebate (which is credited back on you card within 8 weeks). I activated the phone on one of my existing Tmobile lines and received a confirmation from Samsung.

rated:
I am an long time T-Mobile customer with 7 lines on Simple Choice plan. Want to do this to replaced a cracked LG G3, and would like to use the second phone on a Tmobile prepaid (when I have foreign visitors) or when abroad. I understand and want to activate the first phone immediately, but will the second phone need to be unlocked by Samsung (or T-Mobile) to be used for Tmobile Prepaid or for foreign SIM card? Or will I have to use the second phone on a Tmobile post-paid plan for 40 days or so before asking for unlocking?

Thank you.

rated:
ck90211 said:   I am an long time T-Mobile customer with 7 lines on Simple Choice plan. Want to do this to replaced a cracked LG G3, and would like to use the second phone on a Tmobile prepaid (when I have foreign visitors) or when abroad. I understand and want to activate the first phone immediately, but will the second phone need to be unlocked by Samsung (or T-Mobile ) to be used for Tmobile Prepaid or for foreign SIM card? Or will I have to use the second phone on a Tmobile post-paid plan for 40 days or so before asking for unlocking?

Thank you.

I would do this a different way.  Take the first phone and set it up on your Tmo line, which qualifies you for the rebate and also you should be able to unlock THAT handset in 40 days.   Then switch handsets on your line to the one that is still locked.  (I did this with mine as well with the s7 deal, unlocked and paid off my "active" line, then started using the financed/locked phone.  Unlocked THAT one a few months later.

If the timing doesn't work the other deal (trade-in any smartphone) one that is also ongoing would be better for you since those are unlocked and non-carrier handsets.  About $80 more or so plus you "lose" a working phone.  I thought about both, and ended up using this one.  (I have my ORIGINAL android phone - a Galaxy S that would have been the sacrificial goat...  LOL.)

EITHER would work fine with a T-Mobile US sim card (pre or postpaid as well as MetroPCS) but the one you unlock would be able to work with a foreign SIM.  

rated:
Redwolfe, thanks for the tip.  That (activating first phone and use/unlock in 40 days, then activate/use 2nd phone ) is what I will do.  

rated:
Sold out.  Figured it was ending.  Price on S8 Plus went from $790 to $850 on Saturday.  

rated:
It had a $60 "sale" on it as part of the offer. (just like they had a $100 one on the trade in offer)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017