posted 28 days ago by
mjbok

Just got an email that Tivo is again offering a lifetime service transfer for series 2/3 tivos that have called home in the last year. Check your email or use your TiVo service id number as the promo code at checkout.

Www.tivo.com

Offer good while supplies last or until the end of the month.

21 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
I really need to plug in some of my old boxes to make them eligible for this the next time this comes around.

rated:
I have one eligible, but would love to transfer it to an old Premier box I never set up. Anyone get that to work in the past?

rated:
I got the email but none of the codes in the email actually work online. Were you able to place your order online and get the discount, or did you have to call?

rated:
I don't see it on the website, is there a direct link someone can provide?

rated:
I have always had to call to get the $99 Lifetime (I have several).

Usually the box has to have a current subscription for at least the prior year.

I don't understand how the OP's email could be making any offer on Series 2, as the last rep I spoke to insisted Series 2 can no longer be activated at all.

Last month I was able to purchase $99 Lifetime for a Premiere that was subscribed for only 8 months, but only after talking to several agents. My pitch was I owned a Toshiba Series 2 TiVo.

Many of you are perhaps unfamiliar with the Toshiba TiVo. It had a built-in DVD Reader and Burner, and also had a LIMITED Lifetime Service built in.

This LIMITED Lifetime Service lacked most of our favorite functions, but it did provide a TiVo that could record live TV, for free, forever. As support of all kinds has been discontinued for any Series 2 TiVo, I feel TiVo breached the contract they had with me for this machine.

As compensation for that, I politely insisted they sell me $99.99 Lifetime for a Premiere of mine that had been subscribed for only 8 months at the time. They accepted.

I did try for $99.99 Lifetime for a used BOLT I had just purchased, but they declined .

rated:
BTW, I received no email.

rated:
Here is the link

rated:
I wonder if I could convince them to transfer the subscription from my Series 1.

rated:
[L=[L=JINX said: /JNX-coupons/#shopnow=[L=http://www.jinx.com†]/JNX-coupons/#...]http://www.jinx.com†]/JNX-coupons/#shopnow=L287104da031e59078ce0b13ba386aa3d†wonder[/L] if I could convince them to transfer the subscription from my Series 1.
Can't hurt to ask.
Tell them you wanted to bring it back online, and are disappointed you cannot.
Keep calm, be polite, ask for a supervisor if refused.
Good Luck !

rated:
macguy said:   Here is the https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale

††
Oh, it looks like you have to BUY a TiVo from them.

A Lifetime 500GB Bolt for $348 is a good deal, but it is a different deal than what I thought the OP was posting at first.

rated:
What are my options with getting a Series 2 to connect to the network? A long time ago, I bought a Series 2 with lifetime for the purposes of getting in on a previous offer. However, I was never able to connect that Series 2 but got the promotion through other means. If I remember correctly, I can only connect using a phone line. I use Ooma for my home phone and I was not able to connect using a phone line. I don't think ethernet cable was available in Series 2. Any tips on how to get this to connect?

Edit: So I got curious and googled it. This is what I got.
Connecting the Phone Line
You donít need to install a new phone jack or phone numberósimply use the phone line you already have. The following information applies to all setups described in this guide:
ē Phone line. Almost every household phone line is a standard analog line, which is what the DVR requires to complete Guided Setup. Do not connect the DVR to a digital PBX phone system (these allow many phones to share a single telephone number and are usually used in hotels and office buildings). Doing so may permanently damage your DVRís modem and will void your warranty.
ē Phone jack. If the phone jack isnít close to the DVR, you can use the 25-foot phone cord that comes with the DVR to connect it to a phone jack. Phone cords longer than 25 feet are readily available at most hardware or electronics stores. Your cable or satellite box may require a connection to your phone line, too. To connect both the DVR and your cable or satellite box to the same phone jack, plug the provided phone line splitter into the phone jack.

After you complete Guided Setup, you will be able to connect your DVR to a home network and use a shared broadband Internet connection instead of a phone line to make connections to the TiVo service. See the TiVo Viewerís Guide for details

rated:
SalemCat said:   I have always had to call to get the $99 Lifetime (I have several).

I don't understand how the OP's email could be making any offer on Series 2, as the last rep I spoke to insisted Series 2 can no longer be activated at all.

Last month I was able to purchase $99 Lifetime for a Premiere that was subscribed for only 8 months, but only after talking to several agents. My pitch was I owned a Toshiba Series 2 TiVo.

Many of you are perhaps unfamiliar with the Toshiba TiVo. It had a built-in DVD Reader and Burner, and also had a LIMITED Lifetime Service built in.

This LIMITED Lifetime Service lacked most of our favorite functions, but it did provide a TiVo that could record live TV, for free, forever. As support of all kinds has been discontinued for any Series 2 TiVo, I feel TiVo breached the contract they had with me for this machine.

As compensation for that, I politely insisted they sell me $99.99 Lifetime for a Premiere of mine that had been subscribed for only 8 months at the time. They accepted.

I did try for $99.99 Lifetime for a used BOLT I had just purchased, but they declined .

† Here is the text from the original email:

Itís back! Honestly, we had no choice because it was so popular, but for a limited time only, transfer your product lifetime service from your TiVo Series 2 or Series 3 DVR for only $99 with a purchase of any TiVo DVR in this sale. Weíre surprised that we get to offer this great deal again. With any of the great choices, you get to enjoy the latest technology.
The TiVo all-in service plan is regularly priced at $550. Now, you can save $450! Act now before itís too late!†Offer†ends JUNE 30th†or while supplies last.
Weíre making it easy for you. Choose which qualifying current DVR you would like to replace, and simply use that DVRís TSN as your promo code at checkout:

It does say series 2. †I apologize if I didn't explain it as well as I could, but I posted the thread from my phone.

rated:
mjbok said:   
SalemCat said:   I have always had to call to get the $99 Lifetime (I have several).

Itís back! Honestly, we had no choice because it was so popular, but for a limited time only, transfer your product lifetime service from your TiVo Series 2 or Series 3 DVR for only $99 with a purchase of any TiVo DVR in this sale. Weíre surprised that we get to offer this great deal again. With any of the great choices, you get to enjoy the latest technology.
The TiVo all-in service plan is regularly priced at $550. Now, you can save $450! Act now before itís too late!†Offer†ends JUNE 30th†or while supplies last.
Weíre making it easy for you. Choose which qualifying current DVR you would like to replace, and simply use that DVRís TSN as your promo code at checkout:

It does say series 2. †I apologize if I didn't explain it as well as I could, but I posted the thread from my phone.

††
Yes, this offer is only valid for current owners of Series 2 or 3 - whether they work or not - that ALREADY have Lifetime Service.

As Series 2 are useless, it's a good deal for them (maybe).

But I don't see it as much of a deal for a Series 3 Premiere owner. But that's just me.

rated:
SalemCat said:   
††

A Lifetime 500GB Bolt for $348 is a good deal, but it is a different deal than what I thought the OP was posting at first.

††
Use a price matching credit card. I did this deal last time around and got ~$70 back from Citi price matching to Amazon

rated:
It looks like the unit DOES have to work (must have connected to Tivo service in the past year). I still have a Series2 with lifetime on my account but haven't connected it in 5+ years. It would not take the TSN for the promo code.

rated:
SalemCat said:   
mjbok said:   

††
Yes, this offer is only valid for current owners of Series 2 or 3 - whether they work or not - that ALREADY have Lifetime Service.

But I don't see it as much of a deal for a Series 3 Premiere owner. But that's just me.

† The premiere is series 4.† Series 3 was the Tivo HD, HD XL, and Series 3 HD.† Oddly enough the last promotion my Premiere was eligible, but not for this one.† I tried to get in on the last deal, but hadn't connected one of my Tivo HD's in a while (takes about an hour to get it to boot after multiple tries).† I connected it during the promotion, but it wasn't eligible.† However this new one changed the moving year window so it worked for me.

Advantages over the Premiere are 4k output, faster processor, easy to swap hard-drive, and most importantly the built in streamer.†

rated:

††
Advantages over the Premiere are 4k output, faster processor, easy to swap hard-drive, and most importantly the built in streamer.†

You mean the BOLT ?

I like the built-in wireless the BOLT has. Not fond of the weird look, though.

rated:
SalemCat said:   
mjbok said:   
SalemCat said:   
mjbok said:   

††

† The premiere is series 4.† Series 3 was the Tivo HD, HD XL, and Series 3 HD.† Oddly enough the last promotion my Premiere was eligible, but not for this one.† I tried to get in on the last deal, but hadn't connected one of my Tivo HD's in a while (takes about an hour to get it to boot after multiple tries).† I connected it during the promotion, but it wasn't eligible.† However this new one changed the moving year window so it worked for me.

††

You mean the BOLT ?

I like the built-in wireless the BOLT has. Not fond of the weird look, though.

† With MOCA, the wireless (to me) is kind of useless.† The look is weird and I will have to rethink how my devices are arranged as you can't put anything on this, but it is so small anyway.† I opted to replace my broken(ish) one and another Tivo HD with a Bolt+ and a Bolt.† + will stay with me.† Mother in law will get the regular Bolt.

rated:
ganda said:   
SalemCat said:   
††

††
Use a price matching credit card. I did this deal last time around and got ~$70 back from Citi price matching to Amazon

Only on the Bolt+. †All the others are renewed. †

rated:
Ha ! You're right. I forgot that when I initially set up my BOLT I was using Wireless; but then switched to MOCA, which is great !

Built-in MOCA is way better than paying $100 for an Adapter.

I suspect the weird look of the BOLT is due to probable OVERHEATING if other components were stacked on it. Just a WAG.

rated:
elight said:   It looks like the unit DOES have to work (must have connected to Tivo service in the past year). I still have a Series2 with lifetime on my account but haven't connected it in 5+ years. It would not take the TSN for the promo code.
††
I suppose a Series 2 CAN simply connect to TiVo so as to assure that it still operates, but the rep I spoke to last month told me I could not re-activate any Series 2 units that I own.

I do not know if a Series 2 that has remained on subscription all these years can still be on subscription.

Perhaps it can, and TiVo's refusal, to me, to re-activate any Series 2 is simply a method to get those old machines off the grid, and sell new TiVo's.

I suppose if I could dig out my old Series 2, I should plug them in, and have them connect, just in case this offer repeats itself (likely), and I am interested in it at the time.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017