Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - $149.99 @ Rakuten

Rakuten has the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2-5-inch SATA III Internal SSD for $149.99 with free shipping. This beats the Amazon's price by $10. It has 5 out of 5 stars based on 25 reviews. 

11 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Jul. 28, 2017 @ 6:12am
rated:
ssds are way overpriced.

rated:
Good deal for this SSD. The Samsung EVO is probably the best consumer-grade SSD in existence, hence the good reviews.
Prices have fallen a lot. A drive like this would have cost more than 3x this much 4 years ago. This price comes out to 30 cents/GB. However, it's still too expensive for a main drive, where you want 1 TB capacity. My guess is that one more 50% price cut, and mechanical drives will be mostly obsolete for normal residential use. The manufacturers will probably stop investing in R&D for mechanical drives, and that will be the end of them (except for specialized uses like large-capacity backups or security monitoring)

rated:
Good to see prices of these things starting to come down again. This is about what I paid for an EVO 850 about a year ago.

rated:
OK, this is from an "old fart", but the first hard drive I ever bought, for my first home built computer, was a 3.1gb WD HDD when the prices finally dropped below $100 per GB. I am so glad things have progressed.

Good Hunting!

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   Good deal for this SSD. The Samsung EVO is probably the best consumer-grade SSD in existence, hence the good reviews.
Prices have fallen a lot. A drive like this would have cost more than 3x this much 4 years ago. This price comes out to 30 cents/GB. However, it's still too expensive for a main drive, where you want 1 TB capacity. My guess is that one more 50% price cut, and mechanical drives will be mostly obsolete for normal residential use. The manufacturers will probably stop investing in R&D for mechanical drives, and that will be the end of them (except for specialized uses like large-capacity backups or security monitoring)

Even at 50% cheaper, that's still $150/TB... which is a LOT (6x as much?) compared to sales on regular HDD where you can get 3-4TB for just $100.  Especially for uses that don't really benefit much from SSD speed like home DVRs and data drives / backups.  I've seen people spouting that HDDs are extinct and in years won't be sold... and that was 4-5 years ago.  Hasn't happened yet and probably won't for quite some time (decade or two).

PS. 500GB is MORE than enough for a main drive for most people, especially if you use regular HDD for data.  I put hand-me-down 120 and 240GB SSD drives in the most recent  computers for my parents and they haven't come close to filling either.  (yes, that's just 120GB total.  A windows 7 pro 64-bit install. It has almost half the drive still empty two years later.)

rated:
Danzilla said:   
canoeguy1 said:   Good deal for this SSD. The Samsung EVO is probably the best consumer-grade SSD in existence, hence the good reviews.

Even at 50% cheaper, that's still $150/TB... which is a LOT (6x as much?) compared to sales on regular HDD where you can get 3-4TB for just $100.  Especially for uses that don't really benefit much from SSD speed like home DVRs and data drives / backups.  I've seen people spouting that HDDs are extinct and in years won't be sold... and that was 4-5 years ago.  Hasn't happened yet and probably won't for quite some time (decade or two).

PS. 500GB is MORE than enough for a main drive for most people, especially if you use regular HDD for data.  I put hand-me-down 120 and 240GB SSD drives in the most recent  computers for my parents and they haven't come close to filling either.  (yes, that's just 120GB total.  A windows 7 pro 64-bit install. It has almost half the drive still empty two years later.)

3-4TB doesn't fit nicely in a laptop, or other thin device. I know I won't be filling my 16 bays in my desktop with them, but 7mm or bust for the laptops/tablets

rated:
Thanks for sharing

rated:
Danzilla said:   

I think you've made the same point I did.
HDD's are becoming a niche product for specialized uses. Most residential users don't have data drives, or dedicated backup drives. They have one main drive in their computer.
Once HDD's are no longer the main drives for computers (especially laptops, which are more common now), R&D on those devices will mostly stop as sales plunge. It's like film cameras when digital photos came out.

rated:
Good deal for SSD

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
Danzilla said:   

HDD's are becoming a niche product for specialized uses. Most residential users don't have data drives, or dedicated backup drives. They have one main drive in their computer.
Once HDD's are no longer the main drives for computers (especially laptops, which are more common now), R&D on those devices will mostly stop as sales plunge. It's like film cameras when digital photos came out.

Anyone needing a lot of storage, like for the DVRs or HTPCs, like I mentioned, will still have good reasons to buy and upgrade regular HDDs.  While most people don't actually need 500GB+ SSD or HDD in their computers, a lot of people still do, saving video files, gamers, whatnot. (while my parents are fine with 120 - 240GB, my 2.24TB is 85% full.)  You were generalizing way too much, like how people would want 1TB for a main drive, and how mechanical drives will be obsolete were SSDs at 50% the price.  Both ridiculous claims from a narrow perspective and that's what I was trying to point out.

rated:
Danzilla said:   
canoeguy1 said:   
Danzilla said:   

Anyone needing a lot of storage, like for the DVRs or HTPCs, like I mentioned, will still have good reasons to buy and upgrade regular HDDs.  While most people don't actually need 500GB+ SSD or HDD in their computers, a lot of people still do, saving video files, gamers, whatnot. (while my parents are fine with 120 - 240GB, my 2.24TB is 85% full.)  You were generalizing way too much, like how people would want 1TB for a main drive, and how mechanical drives will be obsolete were SSDs at 50% the price.  Both ridiculous claims from a narrow perspective and that's what I was trying to point out.

It doesn't matter if HDD's have a few specialized uses. Once mass production for laptops and desktops disappears, they will become increasingly expensive and obsolete. Of course, film cameras also have buyers today, but for all practical purposes, they don't exist. The same will soon happen to HDD's.
If you reply, try using less insults than your last post. It doesn't make your argument more convincing.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017