posted 2 months ago by
joubonerjala

rated:
Not a bad price. Refurb btw.

rated:
no remote but you can get one at your local electronics store from $40-50

rated:
By the way, although this is more expensive than many Android TV boxes by a factor of 2x to 10x, the Shield is nearly universally considered to be the best such device on the market, the fastest, most future-proof, most compatible Android box, although perhaps not as easily adopted for downloading pirated content as other Android boxes (and I believe that this does not run straight Android OS but Android TV, but I think it is possible to side-load all Android apps on the device). One thing that may not be apparent to everyone looking at one of these devices is that unlike a Roku, an Amazon Fire stick/box or an Apple TV box, most Android box manufacturers have not arranged with Netflix for full access to all features on that service and as a result, nearly all the Android boxes on the market are limited to no higher than 480p resolution (standard, not HD resolution) for Netflix. I am aware of only two Android boxes that will display Netflix in the higher HD resolutions and the NVidia Shield is one of them (the Xiaomi Mi Box is the other one, and there might be a few more). If you want to know more, there are some good video reviews of this box and other such TV boxes on YouTube.

rated:
Finally figured it out why it had no remote, its the older 2015 model instead of the new 2017 model, which basically has all the same specs but didnt include a romote, still not a bad deal though.

By he way before I seeen this posted I allready purchased the new 2017 model and no, while it doesnt run straigt Android but Android TV like the other guy said, its very easy to sideload Kodi ect on it, if anyone's interested there are plenty of youtube videos on the subject and I must admit it is the best Android box there is, well worth the preimium you pay for it compared to all those other cheap Android boxes.

I've pretty much retired my mini pc had hooked up to my TV and been using this instead for a HTPC, its smooth and runs really well without all the hassles of running Windows.

rated:
1) the Pro models from 2015 and 2017 are literally the SAME box. The non-pro 2017 is smaller than the non-pro 2015, but hardware is the same there too (16MB flash vs 500MB HDD in pro)
2) KODI is available on android TV, so no side loading required, just search for KODI in google play on the box
3) shield supports both Netflix and Amazon in 4k streaming

I use a regular (non pro) 2015 shield TV and it is a great streaming box. Recent update even added plex server with on the fly conversion if you like that.
Video quality is great, the box can read pretty much anything local (it even supports mounting windows shares natively for local playback).
The main streaming apps are available: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu , Youtube, hbo ... most in 4k if your TV supports it.
It includes chromecast, so you can cast from your phone or computer (works for HBOgo for example, as comcast does NOT support androidTV HBOgo, so you select your show on your comnputer or phone and cast to your TV)

Basically the best streaming box, regularly updated (nvidia has one of the best track record for android updates). Buy the pro if you need local storage, get the non-pro if you intend to stream and/or already have a server or NAS with your media.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017