posted 22 days ago by
Ayla
Senior Member - 10K

Posted with ToGo

Rand McNally Road Atlas 2017: United States, Canada, Mexico
$11.15
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rand-McNally-Road-Atlas-2017-United-States-Canada-Mexico/50722615 

Paperback, Rand McNally, 2016, ISBN13 9780528015472, ISBN10 0528015478

25 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Have not seen this for a while....

rated:
Great timing. Since last week, we've been looking at an 15 year old Rand McNally road map planning our next vacation in the fall to Idaho and Montana. We want to go visit Yellowstone. Plus I can check off 2 more states that I've visited off my bucket list leaving only Wisconsin and Kentucky left.

rated:
2018 version $10.37:
https://www.amazon.com/2018-Rand-McNally-Road-Atlas/dp/052801731...

FYI, dimensions are 10.9" x 15.4".

Funny, I bought a GPS at a yard sale for less.   And I use google maps to plan.

rated:
Slickone said:   2018 version $10.37:
https://www.amazon.com/2018-Rand-McNally-Road-Atlas/dp/0528017314

I recommend starting a new thread.

rated:
whats a road atlas ??

rated:
People who take the bus don't need to know.

rated:
trumpotron said:   whats a road atlas ??
  Something State Farm used to give away for free years ago.

rated:
trumpotron said:   whats a road atlas ??
  It's for experienced drivers to know and you to find out.

rated:
Nothing wrong with gps and a phone BUT. for a road trip with time on your hands and no set destination this gives you the ability to see the BIG PICTURE in one view. indispensible

rated:
I was in Walmart today and they have these for $7.97, with the price printed by the manufacturer on the front of the cover (for Walmart)!  Why the heck is it more expensive online?
They're in a display in front of the photo lab.

rated:
Oooo maps, I remember these, think they were next to my rotary telephone.

rated:
besides being as big as a 24" screen vs your tablet's 10" or cell's 5", this never runs out of power nor needs internet connection.

rated:
It lets you map your own routes, instead of being forced to take the route your GPS decides for you. It also offers alternates, and gets you out of jams the way you prefer.
You can also route your travel from A to B via C and D, instead of going straight from A to B.

rated:
I posted this, because I thought of items that people could use on a trip.  And I have been with people who use the GPS, and I told them to go one way, and the GPS another......and they got lost.....I told them to turn the darn thing off, Looked at the roads, and got us back on track.

I love looking at the maps, others want the GPS to do it for them, and that is fine.  But don't knock it for us that don't want to or don't have a GPS.  Each to their own.

And I was not aware of the other price.  No sense to making a new thread, for the new link is right here.

Happy 4th weekend all of you.

Thanks everyone for participating.

rated:
Ayla said:   I posted this, because I thought of items that people could use on a trip.  And I have been with people who use the GPS, and I told them to go one way, and the GPS another......and they got lost.....I told them to turn the darn thing off, Looked at the roads, and got us back on track.

I love looking at the maps, others want the GPS to do it for them, and that is fine.  But don't knock it for us that don't want to or don't have a GPS.  Each to their own.

And I was not aware of the other price.  No sense to making a new thread, for the new link is right here.

Happy 4th weekend all of you.

Thanks everyone for participating.

Yeah, I love when Siri tells me, "In 500 feet, pull over and park. Then walk the rest of the way." Somehow, I think there's a street to get me there.

rated:
Thanks, in for one.
Have two kids, and want to make sure they can do basic things like look things up alphabetically, and find their way home in an emergency.
I bought a set of encyclopedias for Christmas.

Yeah it is old school, but i don't want my kids to be an idiot when their cell phone dies in an emergency.

rated:
Here's my atlas for making custom routes for motorcycle and car.  Works even better if you have a large tv connected to the pc.  I use a 32" monitor.

http://i.imgur.com/MPR4Ocj.png 

Once the route is created, it's uploaded to the garmin gps which then guides me along it.  Most of the units with the trip planner function support this.  Been using this method for the last decade with excellent results.  I do keep offline maps available on the cell phone just in case.  

Edit:  I should add, the software allows you to fully zoom in to city street level or even most the rural rural road/street.  Another benefit is some of the roads/highways have different names or are unmarked altogether.  Would be totally missed with out the gps.  For the longest time I still carried paper maps with.  These days, no need for that.

rated:
zklopman said:   besides being as big as a 24" screen vs your tablet's 10" or cell's 5", this never runs out of power nor needs internet connection.
  But this never updates itself with new routes or road closures or tell you how to get around jams or what to do if you miss a turn until you find a place to stop the vehicle or tell you gas station along route and their current prices.

rated:
seawolf21 said:   
zklopman said:   besides being as big as a 24" screen vs your tablet's 10" or cell's 5", this never runs out of power nor needs internet connection.
  But this never updates itself with new routes or road closures or tell you how to get around jams or what to do if you miss a turn until you find a place to stop the vehicle or tell you gas station along route and their current prices.

And you are not suppose to be looking at it when you are driving.  It doesn't have "sound".

rated:
GPS has apparently eaten the brains of some people,
and paralyzed their ability to go from point A to B by themselves.

rated:
Some??

rated:
Let's go back to wayfinding using celestial bodies.

rated:
HKStallion said:   Thanks, in for one.
Have two kids, and want to make sure they can do basic things like look things up alphabetically, and find their way home in an emergency.
I bought a set of encyclopedias for Christmas.

Yeah it is old school, but i don't want my kids to be an idiot when their cell phone dies in an emergency.

Good for you! It just drives me nuts to see younger people who can't read an analog clock, count change, etc.

rated:
Saw these in a 2nd store for $7.87, and the price printed as part of the original front cover.
Why would any of you order it for $11+?

rated:
Slickone said:   Saw these in a 2nd store for $7.87, and the price printed as part of the original front cover.
Why would any of you order it for $11+?

I agree. OTOH I was at WM over the weekend and wanted to look at the Atlas. My observations were the in store Atlas has a section in the back that shows all Walmart's in the US and I think Canada and Mexico too. Hard to believe the online version doesn't have the same. Now if it's sold by a 3rd party on the WM site well...... On the front cover it states this in white lettering on some and black on others????

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017