posted 2 months ago by
momma36
Shopaholic Member

This is for prime users who use Amazon Fresh grocery delivery.  Amazon Fresh is 14.95 a month, with free delivery on grocery orders  $40+

3 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
For those who care, this is farm raised

• "From the coastal waters of Chile to your plate, Marine Harvest salmon is fresh, never frozen."

Here is what one reviewer noted: "Beware, don't be mislead by Atlantic label. It is farm raised in Chile, on Pacific, not in Norway where Atlantic salmon comes from and they add the highest levels of antibiotics of any farm raised salmon. So it not only has a lot of antibiotics but Pacific waters are irradiated from the nuclear accident in Japan. I had to cancel my order when I noticed it was from Chile"

No matter your views on the toxicity of farm raised fish, it is suspicious that they call this Atlantic salmon when Chile is clearly on the Pacific/west coast.

rated:
fivetalents, the description is correct, it is Atlantic salmon that is farmed in Chile's Pacific waters, and NOT Pacific salmon.
Just google this if you have further doubts. I remember seeing a story about this on 60 minutes a few years back too.

My takeaway after watching that story and subsequently reading related articles on salmon farming: Yikes! Buy wild-caught salmon!

rated:
UkeDoggie said:   fivetalents, the description is correct, it is Atlantic salmon that is farmed in Chile's Pacific waters, and NOT Pacific salmon.
Just google this if you have further doubts. I remember seeing a story about this on 60 minutes a few years back too.

My takeaway after watching that story and subsequently reading related articles on salmon farming: Yikes! Buy wild-caught salmon!

Interesting... I didn't realize that Atlantic salmon was an actual species, I thought it referred to water the fish lived in. Learn something new every day. Anyway, the last I heard, only "Alaskan salmon" is still relatively safe to eat because it is certified, by law it can not be farmed, and Alaskan waters are still relatively pristine. Most waterways are so contaminated that simply getting wild-caught doesn't guarantee that fish are free of mercury, PCBs, heavy metals and radioactive poisons, especially in larger fish. Sorry to take your thread OT momma36... if you eat farmed fish, $5/lb is a good price.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017