posted 15 days ago by
nowyouknow

Straight Talk Prepaid Apple iPhone 5S 16GB Refurbished $49.99 - free shipping. Also in Space Grey.

• 4.0" LED LCD Touchscreen with Corning Gorilla Glass
  • 1.2MP Front Facing Camera with face detection, HDR, FaceTime over WiFi or Cellular
  • 8MP Camera with Autofocus, Duel-LED, Flash with 1/3" sensor size, touch focus, geo-tagging, face/smile detection, HDR (photo/panorama)
  • 4G LTE
  • iOS 7 upgradable to iOS 10.0.2
  • Internal Memory up to 16GB

From the site:
Certified Refurbished Items: 
What to Expect in Performance: Walmarts Certified Refurbished products are completely restored to manufacturer quality standards before being thoroughly tested to ensure factory performance. Your product will act and perform just like a factory new product but allow you to spend less and live better. 
What to Expect in Appearance: Walmarts Certified Refurbished Products are internally restored to factory conditions, but there may be some limited to no signs of wear (minor scratches or blemishes).This will not impact the functions of the items, as it is only cosmetic damage.  

14 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Jul. 22, 2017 @ 4:08am
rated:
Anyone know if these are Verizon units (since CDMA) and do they treat them the same as retail Verizon units where the GSM side is unlocked?

rated:
mikemantis said:   Anyone know if these are Verizon units (since CDMA) and do they treat them the same as retail Verizon units where the GSM side is unlocked?
  The WalMart page says that are CDMA, and reviewers mention that the phones came with Verizon SIMs. However, reviewers specifically state that their phones were carrier-locked. 

rated:
I purchased one of these last week.
It is definitely carrier locked. The SIM card has no markings on it so I can't tell if it is Verizon or Straight Talk branded.
I have not activated the phone on Straight Talk but leaving the SIM in place allows me to use the phone on wifi.
When I insert a T-Mobile SIM there is no indication that it is recognized in any way - I am not even able to use the phone on wifi - I keep getting an error screen that does not allow me to even do an initial set up.
Short answer - these are definitely NOT unlocked on the GSM side.

rated:
According to what I read these are locked to Straight Talk and won't work on other carriers... unless ST will unlock for you, but looks like you need to have 12 months service on ST before they will.

rated:
Walmart:  Make them new and you got a deal

rated:
timswim78 said:   
mikemantis said:   Anyone know if these are Verizon units (since CDMA) and do they treat them the same as retail Verizon units where the GSM side is unlocked?
  The WalMart page says that are CDMA, and reviewers mention that the phones came with Verizon SIMs. However, reviewers specifically state that their phones were carrier-locked. 

Yes, while a Verizon sim it is locked to StraightTalk, you must go thru them for all service.
They only use the Verizon towers
as with all their models, some are AT&T and Tmobile...

rated:
theedge103 said:   According to what I read these are locked to Straight Talk and won't work on other carriers... unless ST will unlock for you, but looks like you need to have 12 months service on ST before they will.

That is correct.
I already called ST - I have two siblings that have been on ST for years. They can move their numbers to the iPhone but the device itself has to be active on ST for 12 months before ST will unlock it.
So even longtime customers need to remain on ST for an additional 12 months before these handsets can be officially unlocked.

Unlocking services are available but for the price it's likely better just to order a refurbished unlocked phone if that's what you need.

rated:
geezlouise said:   
theedge103 said:   According to what I read these are locked to Straight Talk and won't work on other carriers... unless ST will unlock for you, but looks like you need to have 12 months service on ST before they will.

That is correct.
I already called ST - I have two siblings that have been on ST for years. They can move their numbers to the iPhone but the device itself has to be active on ST for 12 months before ST will unlock it.
So even longtime customers need to remain on ST for an additional 12 months before these handsets can be officially unlocked.

Unlocking services are available but for the price it's likely better just to order a refurbished unlocked phone if that's what you need.

r u sure? i dont see any unlock services available for Straight Talk iphones. even those eBay listings denied any ATT prepaid iphone. they can only unlock ATT post paid iphones.

rated:
microkelvin said:   
geezlouise said:   

r u sure? i dont see any unlock services available for Straight Talk iphones. even those eBay listings denied any ATT prepaid iphone. they can only unlock ATT post paid

I think I found one service via eBay but the price was high  - around $100.
I found a few services online that offer unlocking for Trac Phone, which includes Straight Talk. Some specifically mentioned Straight Talk. Prices I found ranged from $35-$300 - most not worth it for the 5s.

rated:
Buy it to use as an iPod or some applications to be used at home.
In for one.
Thanks

rated:
nodochau said:   Buy it to use as an iPod or some applications to be used at home.
In for one.
Thanks

That's what I did.
It would be a bonus to have this activated as a cell phone but I am using it to stream music and as a control for some smart home apps.

rated:
how to get the unlock code for this not able to find on eBay

rated:
acrobshah said:   how to get the unlock code for this not able to find on eBay

I did a lot of searching for an unlocking service for Staight Talk iPhones and did not find anything available on eBay.
I found a few services available online that advertise they can unlock a Straight Talk phone.
Most say they cannot, which leads me to think it is not possible and the companies advertising differently are a scam in an already shady business.
I have not tried any of the few I did find since I have little confidence it would work.
i will still keep the phone but use it on wifi only.

rated:
that's what I plan to do with mine - I accidentally ordered 6 of them :-/
I guess I'm going to play Oprah at Christmas - you get an iPhone, you get an iPhone, you get an iPhone......
anyone else notice this that ordered.....white ones did not come with headphones, but the 1 space gray one I ordered did. weird?!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017