posted 12 days ago by
EntertheDeals
Cranky Member

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/?th=1

Pretty sure this has never been on sale before at least according to CCC.

19 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
wow. that's the first time it's ever been sold for < $199.
If B&H Photo Video matches this price, you can get it tax free if you live outside the NY/NJ area.

rated:
I got one for ~$160 a couple weeks back @BB, but returned it thinking I'd rather have the functionality built into the tv. Thought about keeping for a 2nd Plex server, but then figured I'd need more external hard drives.

rated:
been wondering about this device. what makes it worthy of being priced 2-4x most other media players?

my main media app is plex.

rated:
Best box for everything IMO. I have a 1st gen Shield TV, considering getting this second gen also.. then I can have one in my living room and one in my bedroom. Nvidia gamestream has been flawless for me.

Nice find, thanks!

rated:
This is currently the fastest media player period. The main thing I use it is for Plex and cannot be happier. Though I don't have the Plex server running on it. Plex is on a dedicated Linux machine.
I feel the 2017 to be a little better in performance than the 16, though not by a great deal. For better network perf, I have it wired but wifi should be ok too with a good router. Only issue I have it doesn't work with the harmony 700 as it doesn't have IR.

rated:
Don't fool yourself. There isn't another android tv box that can truly compete with the shield. If you're serious about your streaming services, it's a no-brainer. I've had mine for almost two years, and before that it was a nightmare with other boxes. Good luck

rated:
pizzatriangle said:   Don't fool yourself. There isn't another android tv box that can truly compete with the shield. If you're serious about your streaming services, it's a no-brainer. I've had mine for almost two years, and before that it was a nightmare with other boxes. Good luck
  I keep seeing this but never see anyone explain WHY it's the best or a no-brainer.

I have about 1,000 movies and 2,000 TV shows in a server. I also have an HTPC I built myself that is hooked up to my main TV in the living room. Had an HD Homerun + for cable tv, but i cut the cord and have directtv now streaming service.
in the bedroom I have a firestick attached to my 32" TV.

WHY would a shield be "a no-brainer"?

rated:
I feel like Gambit3... I have the fire TV's around my house. Use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Kodi. I don't play games with it, have a PS4 and xb1 for that. What can I expect to get with this that I don't have now? I do sometimes have to "reboot" because it seems to get slow.

rated:
I got two on Jet.com the first week the 2017 version came out, $165 shipped with the 15% new user discount, and the debit card and no free return discount, free ship and no tax.

It is a great toy, for tv viewing, far better than the Android 6, chip 912 boxes that we tried previous

I sold both of the game controllers on eBay, since we never would use them, to recoup another $35 each after fees and ship, making our cost about $130 each

rated:
Gambit3 said:   
pizzatriangle said:   Don't fool yourself. There isn't another android tv box that can truly compete with the shield. If you're serious about your streaming services, it's a no-brainer. I've had mine for almost two years, and before that it was a nightmare with other boxes. Good luck
  I keep seeing this but never see anyone explain WHY it's the best or a no-brainer.

I have about 1,000 movies and 2,000 TV shows in a server. I also have an HTPC I built myself that is hooked up to my main TV in the living room. Had an HD Homerun + for cable tv, but i cut the cord and have directtv now streaming service.
in the bedroom I have a firestick attached to my 32" TV.

WHY would a shield be "a no-brainer"?

a no-bainer not to buy. ya, if you mainly game sure, but everything runs fine on other cheaper devices, or built into the tv. I would be more tempted to buy if you didn't have to pay for a $60 controller I will never use. I also wouldn't mind a little more weight to the device. it is so light & tiny.

rated:
Another plus is it actually uses Google/Android TV not the phone/tablet operating system that a lot of the cheap boxes use.

rated:
Just picked one up at Best Buy, which has matched the price.

rated:
would yall advise me to move on from the WDTV. menus suck, but it plays everything. I currently use a synology nas to store everything i watch - dont really want a stronger server to produce more heat so i like that the WDTV can pull and play everything itself

rated:
I had every model of WDTV and retired the last one about 3 years ago. It was becoming really buggy and the menu was slow as molasses. I tried a top-rated no name android tv box and shipped that back the next day - it was a POS. Decided to buy (2) Intel i5 NUC's (refurbished) from a well known e.Bay seller for $140 each. Adding a small SSD and 4GB added another $60 each. They both run LibreELEC (Kodi). I use a Logitech 650 remote for each. Setting them up is quite a job but after that, they are IMO the best network player for attached media. I use a wired gigabit network to allow smooth playback of Blu ray rips. My smart TV's handle all the other streaming that I need.

rated:
hiroo said:   been wondering about this device. what makes it worthy of being priced 2-4x most other media players?

my main media app is plex.

Arguably, it's the game streaming capabilities.  But truth be told the Steam Link + other media player would be cheaper and work considerably better.  I have a Shield TV and while it is nice and snappy, the big draw for me was game steaming and that aspect of it doesn't work very well at all.

rated:
Seems to me that a big selling point of the Shield is its ability to run Plex Server. This eliminates the need to have a separate PC running Plex Server. Some may ask why Plex Server instead of a plain old NAS file server. I've had a NAS in the past and it can be workable, but it's a never-ending battle to find the right formats for the device(s) that play the movies. Say you've now got all your movies in x.264 which the devices that you've upgraded over the past year all support. The new hotness is x.265, are you going to upgrade all your media players to support that? With Plex that doesn't matter because the Plex Server transcodes it to whatever format that the media player supports.

If you don't have a home library of movies and just stream everything off the interwebs, there's no need for Plex Server. Those who do have a personal library (ex: DVDs stored on a hard drive) understand the struggle.

Personally I've opted for OpenMediaVault which provides lots of other services such as Subsonic (music server) and tons of other neat stuff.

rated:
"that's the first time it's ever been sold for < $199." It is real?

rated:
muti-functional media player. decent price to in for one.

rated:
mischabarton14 said:   "that's the first time it's ever been sold for < $199." It is real?

probably more real than you & the next post person are. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017