posted 29 days ago by
Strapped4Cash
Broke Member

http://cdn.mercurymagazines.com/121-12197404/index.html 

I've done this several times before. I often contact them after the first issue and have them merge multiple subs for the same magazine. Great "office" reading material.  

10 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
In for 1 thanks.

rated:

rated:
This is a great fantasy magazine, but the car magazine I want to read would have useful information about the real cars seen on real American streets that regular people might want to buy.

Million dollar cars. Quarter of million dollar SUVs. Every single car the fully loaded edition. Car & Driver magazine has no use for regular people.

rated:
Are you sure that you are not describing MotorWeek on PBS?

rated:
No, he's describing what car and driver became a decade ago. They aren't irreverent anymore. Not funny anymore. At least they got rid of that long hair editor last year, clearly a militant tree hugger.

Their ad revenue clearly controls the slant of the articles, the choice of vehicles. Some of the stuff they print is right out of a press release or prepared for them. They seem to have no engineer on board but funnel the manufacturer's copy.

They do absolutely nothing to aid the consumer in wading through the actual car selection process. "Ooh, ahh, the engine cuts off cylinders to save gas" -- no mention, ever, that all this shaking breaks engine mounts in the long run. Direct gas injection, ditto, no mention that intake valves can now gunk up horribly in 40,000 miles.

Now they're on board with turbo fours. Any mention of coked up innards, turbo timers, ester oil in these applications? Nope. Just full on collusion with car makers.

I have about 8 years until my subscription expires. Every month now, I consider whether to cancel.

rated:
25-year subscriber here. It's had its ups and downs, but let's look at the latest issue that arrived (Aug '17). There's a Honda Civic on the cover. There's a feature article about a Chevy Colorado pickup, then a comparison test of three-row SUVs pitched as alternatives to minivans (Durango, Acadia, Pilot, CX-9, Atlas). Then a comparison test of tires (two of the six models I have installed on my cars), a finally a long term wrap-up of a '16 Camaro SS. None of these are exotic cars, though there are a few short blurbs about some exotics sprinkled about in the news sections, which would seem to be expected to me. There was a time when I was a teenager that I thought I could never afford the vehicles in the magazine, but that's changed. The average transaction price is about $35k, so obviously many people other than myself actually can afford the vehicles in the magazine.

Regarding the vehicle selection process, I'm not sure they've ever pretended to be Consumer Reports, but I've found it helpful over the years.  Auto start/stop, 2.0Ts, direct injection? I've got six cars with variations of all of those things (wife's SUV has all of them), and I've never had any problems related to those items, so I'm not sure C&D deserves any heat for anything there.

As for the editor, it's been Eddie Alterman since '09, and was Csaba Csere for 15 years before that, so not sure where that's coming from.

It's just a car magazine, guys. They're not responsible for whether you can afford the cars or if they break. Let's not overthink this.

rated:
I am more of an Autoweek reader these days, but C/D still has a place in my heart (and mailbox). FYI I read recently that Csaba Csere (pronounced Chubba Chedda, no joke) is back, at least on the website. I mostly miss the pompous ass that was David E Davis Jr, but the reader letters and Ed. responses can still be pretty amusing at times.

rated:
You have to signup for the http://hotelandresortcard.com/ to get the "free" magazine. Lots data for marketing.

Please note: This is a discount program and the amount of money that you have in your eGift card will never pay for the full cost of a hotel stay.
You may or may not be able to use the full value of your eGift card on one booking. Your eGift card never expires.

rated:
Alterman is Editor-in-Chief. There's also Tech Ed., Deputy Ed., Executive Ed., Creative Ed... Almost everybody seems to be an Editor. Maybe they pass out titles rather than money.

Guy I referenced has been scrubbed from C&D's media kit like he never existed. I suppose I could flip thru old magazines, but they weren't worth keeping.

I note that C&D claims title as The magazine "of record" for vehicular matters. They should be more accountable than "just a car magazine."

Interesting reading, as to that Media kit info.. (Google.) The nearest thing to an engineer is a guy 30 years out of date by their own admission, and a guy with a couple years of pre-med under his belt. I begin to see the problem more clearly.

rated:
Thanks for sharing

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017