posted 1 month ago by
smokeycatrules
Happy Member

The price of the senior lifetime pass (62 and over) to federal lands and parks will increase to $80.00 from the current $10.00 on August 28, 2017.
So if you are like me and procrastinate, it is time to act!
If you cannot pick up the pass in person, the mail in or online price is $20.00, due to a $10.00 processing fee and there is a significant delay in processing.
Here are the details and also on the page you can click a link for locations to pick up the pass in person in the different states.
https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass 

58 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: Thank you for participating in the forums. However, this topic has been covered in a recent post Here. — Jul. 19, 2017 @ 9:10am
rated:
age 62+

rated:
deeptii said:   age 62+

Making sure you don't have much "Life" to use your Lifetime Senior pass.  LOL

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   
deeptii said:   age 62+

Making sure you don't have much "Life" to use your Lifetime Senior pass.  LOL

You soon will be there too...lol

rated:
We picked our up in person (last week).  Fast and simple process with no waiting.  Looked at our drivers license - pulled pass out of the drawer and gave us sharpie's to sign them in front of him.  Paid our $10 each and were good to go.  

You have to love these lifetime memberships, passes, etc.  They never say who's lifetime.  In the case of a company's product its usually their lifetime (not yours).
With the National Park "senior lifetime pass" it's just as app to be the lifetime of the pass itself.  When they issue you a pass there is no record of who bought it  and absolutely no way to get one replaced if its lost, stolen, defaced or whatever.  Once the pass if out of your possession its gone for good.    

rated:
The linked list of Federal Recreation Areas where you can buy the lifetime senior pass in person (for only $10 before Aug 28, 2017) is a 45 page PDF that shows over a thousand sites across the 50 states. Of those, only a few (maybe 2%) don't sell this pass at that location. However, I believe the lifetime senior pass is honored in *all sites* in that document.

rated:
I figured the price increase would happen just before our 62nd birthdays.  Hubby and I both turn 62 in Oct!

rated:
For the ethically liberated --
Take a +62 family member or friend to a NPS location and have them buy a pass.  If asked to sign in person, just have them scrawl something unintelligible.  On the way home, the pass somehow makes its way into your wallet.  The events of the day are never again spoken of ...

rated:
wtjc said:   We picked our up in person (last week).  Fast and simple process with no waiting.  Looked at our drivers license - pulled pass out of the drawer and gave us sharpie's to sign them in front of him.  Paid our $10 each and were good to go.   

I thought the requirement was one pass per vehicle, and not one pass per person...

rated:
That's correct

rated:
soooo, can I order one now and just not start using it till I turn 62??

rated:
I have had my pass for several years and when using it at numerous parks I have had to produce my pass and my id.

rated:
jcrystal said:   That's correct
Ditto for that's correct. The Senior Pass is good for a single, private non-commercial vehicle, not just the holder. And for locations that don't meter by car, the pass is good for the holder and three other people in their party.

rated:
ocean935 said:   
wtjc said:   We picked our up in person (last week).  Fast and simple process with no waiting.  Looked at our drivers license - pulled pass out of the drawer and gave us sharpie's to sign them in front of him.  Paid our $10 each and were good to go.   
I thought the requirement was one pass per vehicle, and not one pass per person...

Senior Pass Use

1. Who is admitted with a Senior Pass?The Senior Pass admits pass owner/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged. (Children under 16 are always admitted free.)
    Note: Photo identification will be requested to verify pass ownership.
  2. If I have more than four people in my car, how many passes do I need? 

• One pass covers the vehicle at sites that charge "per vehicle".
    • At "per person"; sites, the applicable fee will be charged for each additional person.

3. My family is traveling in two vehicles; will one Senior Pass let all of us into the site?No. Only the vehicle with the pass owner is covered. The second vehicle is subject to an entrance fee, or must have (or buy) a second pass.
  4. What about motorcycle drivers who purchase a Senior Pass?A Senior Pass permits entrance for one motorcycle.
  5. What if I forgot to bring my Senior Pass?You can either buy another Senior Pass with proper documentation, or pay the applicable Entrance, Standard Amenity or Day Use Fee(s)
  6. What if my Senior Pass is lost, stolen or damaged? 

• If lost or stolen, you'll need to buy another one.
    • If damaged, it can be replaced as long as a portion of the pass is identifiable and you show proper identification.

https://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do?goto=acm/faqs/America_the_Beautiful___The_National_Parks_and_Federal_Recreational_Lands_Pass_Series/Additional_Details_about_the_Senior_Pass.htm  

Everyone is free on these days:

January 16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
February 20: Presidents' Day
April 15-16 and 22-23: Weekends of National Park Week
August 25: National Park Service Birthday
September 30: National Public Lands Day
November 11-12: Veterans Day Weekend

rated:
We have camped at numerous federal lakes (with campgrounds) for 50% off, and just went to arches national park and the badlands free. I love it.

rated:
Do they have a way to check your age if you order online?

rated:
VirginiaDC said:   Do they have a way to check your age if you order online?

To order the Senior pass online:

1. Place your order through the store and submit payment
  2. After you submit your order, you will be prompted to upload documentation.  Your order IS NOT COMPLETE until this upload is complete.

ACCEPTABLE  DOCUMENTATION is  issued by an authorized U.S. agency that demonstrates US Citizenship or permanent residence and birthdate, such as of your driver's license, passport, or state issued ID. These may be uploaded as a jpeg, gif, png or pdf (cannot exceed 20 MB).

rated:
This is cool too, Free lifetime pass for permanently disabled U.S. citizens.

rated:
Ordered mine on May 26th and checking online it is still processing.  Maybe it'll be here by next summer.  If your in a hurry go get it in person.

rated:
I've been to five of the "issuing" sites in three different states and they have not had the pass and said they will not get news ones until after the price increases. So for me stuck here in the great mid-south I have to do via online and wait the twelve weeks. bummer

rated:
Thanks - I told my dad to pick one up so I could "borrow" it

rated:
Thanks OP

rated:
CPAESQ said:   Thanks - I told my dad to pick one up so I could "borrow" it

I was considering doing the same, but most people say they check ID's so it probably wouldn't fly even if you shared the same last name.

rated:
We are experiencing a major increase in Senior pass sales.
If you need your pass in less than two months, consider purchasing your pass at the first site you visit.
Please click here for a list of sites that issue passes.

bad link - did not work: This site can’t be reached
https://stage.store.usgs.mobomo.net/sites/default/files/PassIssu...

good link - posted by UkeDoggie
https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default/files/PassIssuanceList.pdf

-------------------------------
Non-Commercial Vehicle: 
Passenger car, van, pick-up truck, converted school bus, recreational vehicle, etc., used to enter a Federal recreation site for non-commercial purposes.

I think we are going to run into a problem if we try to camp:
our tow vehicle is a MDT non commercial, but insurance companies classify it as "commercial like"

it may be part of the  " , etc"

anyway, the chance to be able to fit in one of their campgrounds is pretty slim [East US]

So, I will  procrastinate

rated:
For those of you in Northeastern PA, you can pick up a Senior Pass for $10 at the Steamtown National Park in Scranton, PA.
The entrance fee is $7 but if you wait till August 25th, entrance will be Free.

rated:
I would like to pick-up a pass, but I am now in central PA & the closest is pretty far:  at 6 miles a gallon, it's cheaper to pay the $10 extra fee

rated:
Trump tax I'm guessing ...

rated:
And for those at the other end of the age spectrum, 4th graders can also get their family's car in for free for a school year (Aug - Aug).

https://www.everykidinapark.gov/

rated:
mikebeets said:   I would like to pick-up a pass, but I am now in central PA & the closest is pretty far:  at 6 miles a gallon, it's cheaper to pay the $10 extra fee
 As long as you don't need it right away.  
FWIW, it's taking twelve weeks to process online & mail orders. They must be overwhelmed with folks trying to beat the fee increase.

rated:
very nice

rated:
age 62+

rated:
scatti said:   For those of you in Northeastern PA, you can pick up a Senior Pass for $10 at the Steamtown National Park in Scranton, PA.

Why would you care about the entrance fee if you are buying a Senior Pass (get in free anytime)?  

rated:
I think he was giving info on how much you would save in Summer, and not save in Fall.

rated:
pacificgrovecity said:   This is cool too, Free lifetime pass for permanently disabled U.S. citizens.

And vets with any % of disability.

rated:
thanks for sharing

rated:
as a FYI- I just called Steamtown and spoke with a ranger about getting the free access pass(disability), he told me that i have to pay 10 admission and then get my pass. From what i've read there should be no fee for that pass. Is anyone familiar? Thnaks

rated:
The passes at several of the National Parks have been Sold Out for weeks especially with all the chat on this last push. The online process is very easy and affordable. Going to a park maybe a waste of time. Call the park before you arrive to make certain passes are at the location so you get the pass.

rated:
Just buy the pass at the desk when you go in.  Then you can get yourself and 3 people in for the $10.00 price of the pass.

rated:
scatti said:   For those of you in Northeastern PA, you can pick up a Senior Pass for $10 at the Steamtown National Park in Scranton, PA.

Just buy the pass at the desk when you go in.  Then you can get yourself and 3 people in for the $10.00 price of the pass.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017