Fender PM-1 Paramount Deluxe Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar w/ Solid Sitka Spruce Top and Solid East Indian Rosewood Back and Sides - $499.99 FS @ Adorama

Getting an all solid guitar for under $800 is pretty shocking. This has to be the blow out price senn on a bunch of guitars from Adorama.

  • Fender- And Fishman-Designed Pm Preamp w/ with tuner, frequency (bass, master volume and treble) and phase controls
  • Solid Sitka Spruce Top
  • Solid East Indian Rosewood Back and Sides
  • 20 Frets
  • "C" Shape Neck
  • Ebony Fingerboard
  • Checkerboard Purfling And Rosette 
  • Vintage-Style Fingerboard Inlays

1473 Views
7 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Anyone know if it comes with any sort of carrying case/bag for the guitar?

rated:
There are so many choices better than than a fender accoustic- The Br-60 even has a nitro finish which will result in a much better sounding guitar that will improve with age. The reason this guitar is on sale is its a dog.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blueridge-br-60-contempor...

rated:
i'm not big on fender acoustics, but this is indeed a good deal on one if you like them
bendlaw1 said:   There are so many choices better than than a fender accoustic- The Br-60 even has a nitro finish which will result in a much better sounding guitar that will improve with age. The reason this guitar is on sale is its a dog.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blueridge-br-60-contempor...


the nitro finish thing debatable in itself. but if you like your blueridge deal, you might do well to post it as a hot deal. someone looking for a deal on one may not even click on a fender deal post  

rated:
bendlaw1 said:   There are so many choices better than than a fender accoustic- The Br-60 even has a nitro finish which will result in a much better sounding guitar that will improve with age. The reason this guitar is on sale is its a dog.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blueridge-br-60-contempor...

  Normally I would agree as I have hated nearly every fender acoustic I have ever picked up, tone wise and neck feel, and this is from a guy who owns 5 Fender electric guitars and built a 50's Princeton clone amp.

I'm sure Blueridge guitars are better than Fender Acoustics nearly every time, but from what I was seeing from the link that Blueridge is only solid wood top and not back and sides. Yes a solid top is critical to have a guitar worth playing but solid back and sides is that next level where the real magic happens in tone. So despite the nitro cellulose lacquer which I am a huge fan of, no amount of aging is likely to give it the added resonance that a solid wood guitar has already. I've definitely heard amazing sounding solid top only guitars and I'll take your word that Blueridge guitars are one of those brands making them but I would have a hard time believing it beats the tone of this all solid wood Fender. The bracing of that Blueridge might even be way better designed making it one of the best solid top only guitars.

After playing 100's of guitars from $100 - $5000 while working in a shop, I noticed brand makes hardly any difference besides in the more subjective tone/style/feel design choices (bright vs. dark, high mid vs low mid foucs, etc.) and that the two most noticeable things for overall tone from guitar to guitar was gloss finish vs satin vs. none and solid wood vs. laminate. The lighter the finish the more volume and resonance and as much of the guitar being made from solid wood increases the volume and resonance. If the subjective design choices are not your taste no amount of increased resonance and volume will matter however. So for you the Blueridge would will that battle but for most undecided people I imagine a solid guitar will win nearly every time unless it clashes with their natural preference in tonal design choices.

I'm sure in the list of all solid wood guitars, this is one of the lowest caliber but also for one of the lowest prices. A solid wood guitar for $500 is an amazing deal.

rated:
estellay said:   Anyone know if it comes with any sort of carrying case/bag for the guitar?
  Nope, not even a bag. The boxes acoustics come in with their foam packing can be useful as a makeshift or temporary carrying case but they rarely have a handle.

rated:
Sleepthieves said:   
 
I'm sure Blueridge guitars are better than Fender Acoustics nearly every time

i'm not sure one could really come to that conclusion. as far as i can tell, there's cheap guitars, then better guitars, and then good guitars, etc. once you get to the good guitars, it's very subjective.

i would expect that if you pick up the fender and inspect it, you would see no glue hanging out all over the place, etc. and the same for the blueridge, eastman, or whatever else have you. for a below $1000 guitar, you might have some glue smudges, a fret or two you may have to file or tap down, or what have you. and then of course there's the preference in action. but anyone that works with guitars will understand that these are normal things to expect within certain ranges

and then there's just plain playing them. you will like what you prefer, bendlaw1 will like his blueridge, and then i will prefer what i like. if i like my taylor, you would have to go a long way to convince me that a particular martin or guild or whatever is "better." and then we may come to an understanding that the martin is good in some ways, the taylor in other ways.

guess i'm just going a long way to say it's subjective. but for the beginners perusing the deals, i will still recommend looking at guitars in person before buying online. i'm sure it wouldn't be a great experience to pay $500 for something only to have it show up and not be ideal  

rated:
morecowbell said:   
Sleepthieves said:   
 
I'm sure Blueridge guitars are better than Fender Acoustics nearly every time

i'm not sure one could really come to that conclusion. as far as i can tell, there's cheap guitars, then better guitars, and then good guitars, etc. once you get to the good guitars, it's very subjective.

i would expect that if you pick up the fender and inspect it, you would see no glue hanging out all over the place, etc. and the same for the blueridge, eastman, or whatever else have you. for a below $1000 guitar, you might have some glue smudges, a fret or two you may have to file or tap down, or what have you. and then of course there's the preference in action. but anyone that works with guitars will understand that these are normal things to expect within certain ranges

and then there's just plain playing them. you will like what you prefer, bendlaw1 will like his blueridge, and then i will prefer what i like. if i like my taylor, you would have to go a long way to convince me that a particular martin or guild or whatever is "better." and then we may come to an understanding that the martin is good in some ways, the taylor in other ways.

guess i'm just going a long way to say it's subjective. but for the beginners perusing the deals, i will still recommend looking at guitars in person before buying online. i'm sure it wouldn't be a great experience to pay $500 for something only to have it show up and not be ideal  

  Totally agree.

That first statement should have been more clearly labeled as my opinion. I have never liked the lower end range of Fender acoustics, but you are correct that build quality is pretty similar for most name brand guitars in similar price points and nearly all the other factors are subjective. I have however found in the sub $300 range that Fender acoustics had a tendency to be a bit sub par in fit and finish and quality control as well as tonally stunted by the finish/design/wood, same thing for Epiphone. Weird how two of the most well known brands can't make decent cheapies. That being said I have a solid spruce/rosewood Epiphone Masterbuilt that I love and is my only acoustic, but they were $900 new ($400 used ).

In conclusion at this price point and being solid wood I'm sure this guitar is nice. I think you correct thought that buying an acoustic without playing at least a similar design is unwise.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017