posted 1 month ago by
morecowbell
he's the brains, sweetheart 3K

i dunno how much these normally go for. i was looking at seagull guitars and it looks like a good price to me. according to camelcamelcamel, it's been as high as $670, with an average of $619. it's supposed to be $519 right now, but it's offered through geartree for $499, with free shipping (prime). it's also offered on geartree's website, but i am not familiar with them, so i would go through Amazon for the protection

linkage 
Amazon said: Pressure Tested Solid Spruce Back & Sides : Solid Mahogany Neck : Mahogany Integrated Set Neck Fingerboard & Bridge : Rosewood Nut & Saddle : Compensated Tusq by Graphtech Truss Rod : Double Function Finish : Semi-Gloss Custom Polished Finish

*for the adventurous, there's a bundle that includes a gig bag, tuner, and stand. this one also has free shipping, but it says that it's not prime eligible.

link to bundle 

FWIW, the seller has a 99% positive rating with Amazon 

and oh yeah, seagulls are made in canada  

11 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Yeah any solid wood guitar for around this price is a great deal. Seagull is a good brand and they sound great if you like a thick mid and low end tone (vs the bright high and mid tone of a Martin). The neck is a bit chunky for my taste (I like Martin necks) but is a nice comfortable C shape similar to a Gibson.

The action on them comes pretty high on just about every single one I have ever picked up which is like 50+ in my time working in a music shop. This is pretty easy to fix but most people will have to take it to a luthier or a tech to have the action lowered since it will take messing with both nuts and the truss rod likely. After that this will be a great sounding and playing guitar and most people wont ever have to take it too a tech again after that. It will likely cost $50 or more and may be $100 in some areas although that is pretty high.

Keep in mind this is my personal opinion as a long time player and salesperson who played 100s of guitars and many amateur/hobbyist players would not notice a high action although if you gave almost anyone an A vs B comparison they pick up the nuance quite quickly and prefer a lower one. It's easier on the hand of a new or lesser experienced player.

This is not anything against this guitar and is the recommendation I made for any acoustic sale since you usually only have to do it once on acoustics and it makes any guitar play way better especially if it is a sub $1000 guitar where string action and fret finish is a crap shoot regardless of brand and cost. This is why $1000+ guitars play so nice. Part of what you are paying for is that extra attention on the playability of the neck/fret board in general.

rated:
These are pretty nice guitars, but the best value will come in buying used instruments. So many guitars get bought and live in the closet for a few years and then get sold off cheap by people who didn't learn how to play. Look for solid wood and the better guitars will project so much bass and generate a low end growl that the cheepies cant imitate. If you buy used from Guitar Center you can even return the instrument if you dont like it- which is pretty good for mail order. That being said if you interested in this, look at the dreadnought Seagull, and look at Eastman and Blue Ridge guitars too. Of the new guitars these 2 are martin copies from China made of top quality materials by experts. They are fantastic and cost much less than the martins they clone. Epiphone Meisterbuilt also has some nice guitars.

rated:
is this good for a beginner?

rated:
rychastings said:   is this good for a beginner?
IMO, this would be excellent for one. but i would follow the other advice within the thread, as well. also, you will want to go to a guitar store and try out some guitars. see what is comfortable for you. take someone with you who knows about guitars, if possible, to show you how to sit or stand with a guitar, etc, so you can be sure you're comfortable in a productive way

i also agree that used deals are great, but as this is FW, it's not so easy to post those

as for this guitar, it would be great. any guitar by godin (seagull, godin, art & lutherie, etc) would be decent (many would be overkill). check out the reviews. and again, ask a friend, if possible

rated:
This is a much nicer guitar for $500. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blueridge-br-60-contempor...

The Seagull that overproduces for the money is the S6, which at $399 Is a great beginner guitar. So is any Yamaha guitar with a solid top for that matter and those go for maybe $200. And the best deals on guitar are used guitars. CL and Guitar Center are both good options. After all, most guitars sit in the closet and are eventually sold off cheap or given away.

rated:
i don't see that the blueridge is all solid woods, as the OP guitar is. and as these things can be subjective, i don't know that i would consider that guitar to be as nice as the seagull

rated:
morecowbell said:   
IMO, this would be excellent for one. but i would follow the other advice within the thread, as well. also, you will want to go to a guitar store and try out some guitars. see what is comfortable for you. take someone with you who knows about guitars, if possible, to show you how to sit or stand with a guitar, etc, so you can be sure you're comfortable in a productive way

i also agree that used deals are great, but as this is FW, it's not so easy to post those

as for this guitar, it would be great. any guitar by godin (seagull, godin, art & lutherie, etc) would be decent (many would be overkill). check out the reviews. and again, ask a friend, if possible

I cannot agree with this more. As a salesperson I even told this to the customers who I thought would listen. I sold so many first guitars and I'm sure people were overwhelmed but I attempted to always show them how the different sizes of guitar can make a big difference and that the feel of the neck size and shape is just about the most important part of any acoustic especially for a beginner. Then I would show them why solid wood tops are a must and if you can afford solid wood on the whole guitar go for it because it's night and day better sounding.

This guitar is of a quality where it can be your one guitar for life so it's definitely a great choice for a beginner, however get it setup by a tech so that it will play much easier. If you are not sure you will stick to it, it may be better to buy one of the solid top Yamaha $200 acoustics since you will waste $300 less if you give up. Selling this used may recoup $300 but that's about it. The Yamaha is only $200 and would recoup about $100 if sold and maybe a little more. They are also just about the best cheapy made IMO.

rated:
mischabarton14 said:   I dont no the brand and just feel a little bit expensive.
  Seagull have been around for quite a while now and they are made in Canada. They are great guitars. $500 is right at the point where guitars start to be pretty well made so although you can get cheaper ones and many of them sound and play great, $500 is not objectively expensive in this context.

In fact $500 for a solid wood guitar is amazingly cheap since only a few models are under a $1000 from any of the main guitar manufacturers. Those are usually around $750 at the minimum. it';s been a few years since working in a shop so maybe prices have gone down a bit now. I try not to look anymore, I have a dumb amount of gear as is.

rated:
this can be perfect gift for younger bro

rated:
You can't go wrong with a Seagull. I have had an S6 for years and it's the best guitar for the money I had.

rated:
Sleepthieves said:   
morecowbell said:   

I cannot agree with this more. As a salesperson I even told this to the customers who I thought would listen. I sold so many first guitars and I'm sure people were overwhelmed but I attempted to always show them how the different sizes of guitar can make a big difference and that the feel of the neck size and shape is just about the most important part of any acoustic especially for a beginner. Then I would show them why solid wood tops are a must and if you can afford solid wood on the whole guitar go for it because it's night and day better sounding.

This guitar is of a quality where it can be your one guitar for life so it's definitely a great choice for a beginner, however get it setup by a tech so that it will play much easier. If you are not sure you will stick to it, it may be better to buy one of the solid top Yamaha $200 acoustics since you will waste $300 less if you give up. Selling this used may recoup $300 but that's about it. The Yamaha is only $200 and would recoup about $100 if sold and maybe a little more. They are also just about the best cheapy made IMO.

a little off-topic, but i have a yamaha that i love. it's not all solid woods (it's all laminates), but it was one of the nippon gakki (japan) models. must be 40 yrs old, and still going strong  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017