posted 28 days ago by
kimgkimg
Senior Member - 1K

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/aldi-finds-for-july-19/ju...

The store's page is pretty light on specs.  I assume this is a "4K" action camera, but should still be good for full HD 1080p video.

13 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
That's a lot of money for junk.

rated:
Action Camera with 4K Video ResolutionMAGINON Action Camera

• 4K video resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels/25 fps)
  • 2.0" TFT-LCD display
  • Includes water-tight housing for recordings at a water depth up to 98'5"
  • Replaceable Lithium Ion batteries (1050 mAh) for up to 90 minutes of recording (without WiFi)
  • Micro HDMI and Micro USB connections

http://www.maginon.com/website/us/produktinfo-sued/aktion-ac-777.html

rated:
speedoflight said:   That's a lot of money for junk.
Video quality looks decent enough.

Certainly would prefer to risk this over a $$$ GoPro in risky damaging situations.  

rated:
speedoflight said:   That's a lot of money for junk.
  It's hard to tell what exactly this comment means or why you would bother posting this with no further explanation.

If you meant "It's just a cheap GoPro-clone action camera made in China and since it's not a Go Pro, it has to be junk," that's a very ignorant comment.  While there are indeed dozens, maybe hundreds of brands of Chinese-made action cameras, many of which look or are identical with merely different branding and are probably made in the same few factories, they are not all identical in performance and quality.  Yes, some of them are junk.  However, some of those cameras, particularly ones that have gyroscopic stabilization to reduce wobble, have very comparable video quality to a GoPro (e.g. Hawkeye Firefly 7s or 8s,ThiEye, SJCams, Mobius, Gitup Git 2, Xiaomi Yi, etc...) and cost half, a third, or even a fifth of what a GoPro costs, and most of them come with a whole lot more accessories than GoPro provides with their cameras.  The big difference is that GoPro pays more in a year to market its cameras than some of these manufacturers have as revenue for all of the cameras they've sold and those Chinese companies are not sponsoring pro skiers and surfers, among others.  Don't believe me? Go watch some of the video reviews on YouTube.

Now if you mean this particular  Maginon action camera that Aldi sells is a piece of junk because it has poor video quality, that might very well be a correct opinion.  I tried finding video reviews of this on YouTube and I'm not sure if any of the Maginon reviews were of this particular model, since they all seemed to have been uploaded at a maximum resolution of 720p.  However, I did check out 4 Maginon action camera reviews and all 4 of them had very poor video quality, with a lot of wobbling and unstable images, minimal detail, blurring, and faded colors.  If the video samples from those YouTube reviews were indeed representative of what one can expect from this 4k Maginon (almost assuredly 2k at most, interpolated up to 4k, as is the case with virtually all cheaper "4k" action cameras), then this camera is indeed of poor quality and a poor value.

For $60, or thereabouts, one can often pick up a Hawkey Firefly 7s from Chinese online retailer GearBest.com that has gyroscopic image stabilization and will give a very solid quality video at least up to 1080p or 2k.  There are several videos on YouTube comparing the Firefly 7s quite favorably to several GoPro models and there are many hundreds of video reviews there of action cameras that will show footage taken from the reviewed camera.  Going with a clone, you might give up 5% in video quality, but at only 20-40% of the price of a GoPro.  My favorite channel for action camera reviews is Redskull, done by a Canadian guy who has probably reviewed more action cams than anyone else on YouTube (he also does an outstanding job with cell phones, smart watches, and Android TV boxes, among other electronic devices), he's very through, and quite objective - he pans at least half of the action cameras he reviews, showing with specificity and demonstrating with examples where they fall short, and is candid about the cameras' strengths and weaknesses, notwithstanding that he gets most of these items for free to review from the vendors or manufacturers (i.e. he's genuinely objective and isn't a shill). 

rated:
There are a lot of clones of this style of camera. Some work all right, most are kinda junk and you shouldn't bother with unless you've tested it out first or don't mind returning. What's Aldi's return policy anyway?

rated:
The video in KimG's post does indeed have pretty decent video quality, much better than that of the Maginon action cam videos I spotted on YouTube (I did a search for the brand name rather than "Aldi"). One thing this video does not show is what the video is like when the camera is strapped on to a hat mount, a bike or ski helmet, bicycle, car, drone, etc... and moving - many cameras seem OK when stationary but have really wobbly, unstable video when the camera is moving. Not sure if this post will come before the longer one I just did that needs to get moderator approved, but for under $70, I'd definitely go with one of the cameras I mentioned in my other post, such as a Hawkeye Firefly 6s or 7s, that have gyroscopic image stabilization for smooth video even when the camera is in motion, or else order a Wimius off Amazon for $50-$60 and it comes with a second battery.

rated:
Considering all the accessories that come with it and the price, it's worth a try.
Can you imagine what a gopro with all that would cost.

rated:
A friend bought it.  It gets very warm/hot at 4K.  Nice and cool at 1080p30 (good enough for most people).  Best at 1080p60 where it was only a bit warm.

Lots of other generic options out there at less than this price now, so it's a lukewarm deal for 1080p60 at $60.  Skip if you absolutely have to have 4K.  Here's the official website.

rated:
Danzilla said:   There are a lot of clones of this style of camera. Some work all right, most are kinda junk and you shouldn't bother with unless you've tested it out first or don't mind returning. What's Aldi's return policy anyway?
  Return PolicyQ. What is the return policy?
A. A replacement or refund will be offered for non-food ALDI Find items, alcohol*, national brands or non-quality related issues. In addition, some of our ALDI-exclusive brands and national brand offerings are covered by a manufacturers' limited warranty. Please consult the instruction manual or warranty card that came with the product to determine how to make a warranty claim.Computer/Electronics return policy: Returns with a receipt will be honored within 90 days of the original purchase date. Product must be returned with all contents and in original product packaging.*Please note, state law may prohibit the replacement or refund of alcohol.

rated:
If you have a Fry's near you, this one is on sale for $44.99. Looks like another GoPro clone as per the Inland website.  Online reviews state that the 1080 works well, but 4K does not. I don't have any experience with this model.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you need a Sunday promo code for the sale price.  Code is valid all week from 7/23-7/29.

rated:
Where do you obtain the promo code?????

rated:
Signed up for it via email. I just pm'ed you my code.

rated:
saidiadude said:   If you have a Fry's near you, this one is on sale for $44.99. Looks like another GoPro clone as per the Inland website.  Online reviews state that the 1080 works well, but 4K does not. I don't have any experience with this model.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you need a Sunday promo code for the sale price.  Code is valid all week from 7/23-7/29.

Yes, I noticed the two look very similar. Fry's does come w/o any mem though, but 15 bucks buys you more than the 8 Gig that Aldi includes.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017