posted 26 days ago by
joedaddy123
Broke Member

$10 off until 7/31/2017

https://www.costco.com/One-Year-Emergency-Roadside-Assistance-eC...

Product Details
Nation Safe Drivers Motor Club provides peace of mind when you are on the road that you are covered and protected by an organization that cares about you since 1962. Our customer service representatives respond quickly to provide the quality service and protection. Fast, dependable courteous service. Join millions of motorists who depend on us for road side service.

Please see attached PDF for Sample benefits, terms and exclusions.

Includes:
1 Year Membership by Nation Safe Drivers Motor Club
Two (2) Family members per membership

Benefits:
Towing up to 25 miles
Mechanical first aid
Lockout service
Battery assistance
Tire Change
Battery Jump Service
Fuel, Oil, water Delivery
Rental Car Discounts
Additional member discounts

https://www.costco.com/One-Year-Emergency-Roadside-Assistance-eC...

42 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
You add it to your car insurance it would be about $20-$30/year for 2 cars. Don't know if this is a hot deal!

rated:
This covers over 250 million cars.

rated:
I only had to read the first line in the benefits PDF and Bingo....Worthless product
Towing limit 25 Miles....workable
Towing charge limit $50 per occurrence? Really? what towing company charges less than or even close to $50?

rated:
rodge said:   You add it to your car insurance it would be about $20-$30/year for 2 cars. Don't know if this is a hot deal!
  Because some car insurance companies jack your rates if you actually use it.

rated:
juddev said:   I only had to read the first line in the benefits PDF and Bingo....Worthless product
Towing charge limit $50 per occurrence? Really? what towing company charges less than or even close to $50?

Reading comprehension.  25 mile limit for towing, the $50 limit applies to other covered services such as tire changes. lock out services, etc.

rated:
Explain where I am misreading this:
Towing - Up To 25 Miles
As a member of our Roadside Assistance Program,
1. You will not be required to pay any additional fee or sum in addition to the membership fee when your service
is for a tow of up to 25 miles or other covered service that does not exceed the benefit limit of $50.00 per
occurrence
The benefit limit is $50

rated:
I'm reading it the same as juddev, especially as farther in the PDF it says that if you use your own tow provider, they will only reimburse $50. That's unlikely to cover most tow bills. This should be thought of as a reimbursement discount plan.

ETA: Also, they don't cover "Repeated service calls for a vehicle in need of routine maintenance or repair."  That's pretty vague/subjective.  Wonder how many per year you get before they decide you're driving a beater and tell you to just start pushing, buddy.

I might pull the trigger, though, as I just used up my insurance-freebie tow last week....

rated:
GatorJ said:   
juddev said:   I only had to read the first line in the benefits PDF and Bingo....Worthless product

Reading comprehension.  25 mile limit for towing, the $50 limit applies to other covered services such as tire changes. lock out services, etc.

I read it how GatorJ reads it - the $50 does not apply to towing. And given that towing is *always* more than $50, Occam's Razor applies.

And if you're still in doubt, pick up the phone and call them.

rated:
The real question is how responsive are their contracted tow companies and do they have any local ones in your area. Often these auto clubs negotiate such low rates that there is not a local towing company that will accept, and the big fast responding companies will not accept. I was on the side of the Road in Mississippi in a snow storm. 3 cars went off rd. One guy had AAA they quoted 30 minute wait, I had AMEX they quoted 2 hours from a distant city and the state trooper said there is a tow company 10 mins away.

I have been quoted up to 4 hours wait.

If your car is stranded in the road cops will not wait more than a few minutes before they call their $200 companies on the rotation.

Auto clubs almost never work when stranded in the roadway, because of the delay.

rated:
russellt said:   

If your car is stranded in the road cops will not wait more than a few minutes before they call their $200 companies on the rotation.

That's because the cops want their kickback.

rated:
Xnarg1 said:   
russellt said:   

That's because the cops want their kickback.

.. and donuts.

rated:
GatorJ said:   
rodge said:   You add it to your car insurance it would be about $20-$30/year for 2 cars. Don't know if this is a hot deal!

... or even more insidious, use requests for service to add claims to your CLUE report.  So even if you shop around, other insurers will base their quotes, in part, on the quantity of those "claims."

rated:
An alternative, also with Nation Safe Drivers, 15 miles towing though...
Meineke is proud to also offer 4 months of complimentary Roadside Assistance with the purchase of all oil change packages!
https://www.meineke.com/services/oil-change/
https://www.meineke.com/roadside-assistance/

rated:
Not always the case. I have Geico and I inquired how much it would cost to add roadside assistance and they don't offer it alone. I would have to in addition get theft insurance with a $250 deductible and my premium would go up about $139 a year/ No thanks.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   
Not always the case. I have Geico and I inquired how much it would cost to add roadside assistance and they don't offer it alone. I would have to in addition get theft insurance with a $250 deductible and my premium would go up about $139 a year/ No thanks.

I dont think thats correct. I am able to add/remove just roadside assistance online. Which state are you in? Try to do online.  

rated:
prastogi said:   
MrVietnam said:   

I dont think thats correct. I am able to add/remove just roadside assistance online. Which state are you in? Try to do online.  

I'm in California. I called in and talked to a Geico agent.

EDIT: I tried online too and it would let me select it by itself but when I recalculated I got this error message:Emergency Road Service is only available if at least one vehicle on your policy carries Comprehensive, Collision, and Emergency Road Service coverage.

I only have liability coverage for my vehicle and have no desire to get comprehensive coverage, so this as I said earlier is a no go for me.

rated:
Towing, (comma) or other service up to $50

Towing (no comma) or other service up to $50

Lawyers have battled this one out, but the reality here is, it's whatever the company says when you get towed. Because it's uneconomical to sue over tiny claims & you're very unlikely to collect even if you win (assuming you're not required to mediate, which is an even worse scenario).

And you almost certainly WON'T get their position in writing from a business, they have better things to do.

All towing coverages, insurance company or otherwise, are basically crap anyway. Put $30 in the rainy day fund instead.

rated:
If anyone is in Southern California and you are new to AAA. you can get one year of AAA for $45.50 at www.aaa.com/tv 

Normally there is a one-time $20 admission fee on top of the $49 a year for classic membership, but with this offer they drop the admission fee to only $1. They also throw in a stainless steel, hot and cold beverage container as a gift—a $25 value. I even got an additional $4.50 off by signing up for autopay (you can cancel autopay at anytime). So I got my a year of AAA Classic membership for $45.50.

They only allow a 7 mile tow for each tow, up to four service calls each year (with their $49 classic membership).

rated:
MrVietnam said:   
prastogi said:   
MrVietnam said:   

EDIT: I tried online too and it would let me select it by itself but when I recalculated I got this error message:Emergency Road Service is only available if at least one vehicle on your policy carries Comprehensive, Collision, and Emergency Road Service coverage.

I only have liability coverage for my vehicle and have no desire to get comprehensive coverage, so this as I said earlier is a no go for me.

Same in Florida.  

rated:
Towing and labor (tire, gas, etc) is $1.66/month for me and wife with USAA.

rated:
Iam a Costco executive member with ameriprise auto insurance and their free Roadside assistance says below

Roadside assistance applies to vehicles covered on the auto policy and covers up to $75 per occurrence. Lifetime renewability applies to auto insurance and is not available in MD and MI or to policyholders who have major violations, fail to pay premium, do not provide requested underwriting information, move to a state where Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance products are not available, purchase a vehicle we do not insure or if there is a substantial change in the condition of the vehicle insured. The home glass repair reimbursement benefit covers up to $1,000 per occurrence, limited to two claims within any consecutive 12-month period. This $1,000 limit is included in the limit of liability for Dwelling Coverage and is subject to the conditions, limitations and exclusions described in the policy. Home lockout assistance covers up to $100 per occurrence, is limited to two claims within any consecutive 12-month period and may be subject to specific conditions.

I used 3 times only so far. Out of 3,  I called 2 times within a week time frame, my wait time is 40 mins every time.

rated:
Vetterin said:   Towing and labor (tire, gas, etc) is $1.66/month for me and wife with USAA
  Do you know how far they will tow for the coverage?

rated:
MrVietnam said:   
prastogi said:   
MrVietnam said:   

ok, that makes sense then. I have comprehensive with Geico but it adds only $30 ~ for me and then i can include roadside assistance for another ~6 (6 months).

rated:
joedaddy123 said:   This covers over 250 million cars.
  Maybe so, but I only own two of those....

On a more serious note.  I had OnStar free with my car for a few years. You know, the one where they always are advertising that if you're in an accident, they can send emergency services directly to you because of a GPS in the car?  I had to be towed and they had no idea where I was.  Frightening.  

rated:
sesquipedalian said:   
Vetterin said:   Towing and labor (tire, gas, etc) is $1.66/month for me and wife with USAA

I'll have to check my policy for the specifics. I do know that towing is covered to the nearest repair facility.

rated:
Does not say it is limited to 4 wheeled vehicles/cars/automobiles.  Motorcycles included?  Basic AAA doesn't include motorcycles.

rated:
Vetterin said:   
sesquipedalian said:   

I'll have to check my policy for the specifics. I do know that towing is covered to the nearest repair facility.

I called them up today, and they said the nearest repair or 17 miles  They can determine the additional costs past 17 miles per call.

rated:
Thanks OP. I made my order!

rated:
I prefer the kind where you call whoever you want, pay for it and get reimbursed (wink wink)

rated:
GatorJ said:   

Plus, you need collision/comprehensive to get roadside assistance from most insurance companies. 

rated:
I got the evoucher but very confused with the info it provided.
On the evoucher it stated "Please click on the link below and follow the instructions."
Went there to see 3 recommended options, "Download", "Print", "Email" to click on.
Clicked on "Download" or "Print" -> Form not configured for viewing
Clicked on "Email" -> Form not configured for Emailing
So what ?

rated:
cyfan said:   
joedaddy123 said:   This covers over 250 million cars.
  Maybe so, but I only own two of those....

On a more serious note.  I had OnStar free with my car for a few years. You know, the one where they always are advertising that if you're in an accident, they can send emergency services directly to you because of a GPS in the car?  I had to be towed and they had no idea where I was.  Frightening.  

I'd rather no one could track me. If I want them to know where I am, I'll tell them. Frightening is big brother and people who normalize it.

rated:
I need this service. Thanks

rated:
very nice

rated:
juddev said:   Explain where I am misreading this:
Towing - Up To 25 Miles
As a member of our Roadside Assistance Program,
1. You will not be required to pay any additional fee or sum in addition to the membership fee when your service
is for a tow of up to 25 miles or other covered service that does not exceed the benefit limit of $50.00 per
occurrence
The benefit limit is $50

"Or."

rated:
i think this one allows you to call roadside for any car instead of a specific car on an insurance policy.

Similar to AAA.

On a road trip with a friend's car and got a flat? This one works. Insurance one doesn't.

rated:
joedaddy123 said:   i think this one allows you to call roadside for any car instead of a specific car on an insurance policy.

Similar to AAA.

On a road trip with a friend's car and got a flat? This one works. Insurance one doesn't.

It works great when you can have 2 of them pay you

rated:
I've had roadside assistance through verizon for years. It's $2.99 per month per person. So, I'm paying $6/month for my daughter and myself. This is a lot cheaper. I don't know how one compares to the other though. Time to research it.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017