Avatar
posted 26 days ago by
turtlebug
Leatherback scratcher

Check your AMEX card offers. This was on one of mine this morning:

Get 10% of your online payment back as statement credit each time you use your enrolled Card to pay your US Cable or Satellite television bill online directly with the provider by 11/15/2017. Limit $30 in total credits. See terms for exclusions.

As always, YMMV.


*edit to add offer terms*        

Enrollment limited. Must first add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Offer valid on US bill payments for cable and satellite television services made directly with the provider. Payments must be made directly with the provider online, via mobile app or by phone. Payments made at service centers do not qualify. Payments for hardware, installation, and other services are excluded, if not bundled and charged with monthly service bill. Excludes payments for satellite radio services and subscriptions with streaming television providers. Offer is non-transferable. Limit $30 in total statement credits per American Express® online account. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 11/15/2017, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from merchant until all items from your qualifying purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.

5602 Views
30 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Just checked on mine - 0/2. BCP and Gold Biz. 

rated:
Hmm.  Got the offer but my DirectTV is bundled into my AT&T bill.  I wonder if that will count.

rated:
There were a lot of exclusions last year.  I had to call to get the credits, and it was not easy.  So read the terms carefully.  Just as an example, it included cell service and  even though AT&T was eligible, Cricket which is one of their MVNOs is NOT. I have not read the T&C this year b/c I did not receive the offer on any of 3 cards. So please read for the details of this offer.

rated:
There are at least different offers available:

1) 10% off cable or satellite
2) 10% off cell phone
3) Spend $100+ on cell phone bill, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x  
 

rated:
If I got the offer in one card, how can I add the offer to multiple cards?

rated:
BE00 said:   If I got the offer in one card, how can I add the offer to multiple cards?
  You cannot. The offer is bound to the specific card.

rated:
BE00 said:   If I got the offer in one card, how can I add the offer to multiple cards?
  Open up multiple web browsers at the same time with the offer showing on your different cards and then activate the offer on each card in each different web browser open at the same time.

rated:
0/5

rated:
My offer is for cable or satellite tv, since I get my Internet service from the cable company, if I just prepay my Internet bill will it count for the 10% off? When making a payment to the cable company, does American Express know for what service I am paying?

rated:
I wish credit card companies would quit this kind of promotion. One corporate Business Analyst/MBA dreams it up, approved by one marketing guy who half understood it. Implemented by one IT fella who did the best they could in understanding it and making the systems gel.

Now you have lots of unhappy customers, dealing with lots of customer reps.

What was really gained? My AmEx is staying in my wallet.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   My offer is for cable or satellite tv, since I get my Internet service from the cable company, if I just prepay my Internet bill will it count for the 10% off? When making a payment to the cable company, does American Express know for what service I am paying?
  No they won't know what it is for. They'll just see the company and as long as that company is on their list of Cable/Sat. tv the credit will auto trigger. 

rated:
lexcurat said:   I wish credit card companies would quit this kind of promotion. One corporate Business Analyst/MBA dreams it up, approved by one marketing guy who half understood it. Implemented by one IT fella who did the best they could in understanding it and making the systems gel.

Now you have lots of unhappy customers, dealing with lots of customer reps.

What was really gained? My AmEx is staying in my wallet.

  
Not sure what that means. My AmEx is staying in my sock drawer.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   lexcurat said:   My AmEx is staying in my wallet.Not sure what that means. My AmEx is staying in my sock drawer.My multiple AmEx are leaving my wallet or sock drawer to pay my cable and cell phone bill.
  

rated:
Stubtify said:   
MrVietnam said:   My offer is for cable or satellite tv, since I get my Internet service from the cable company, if I just prepay my Internet bill will it count for the 10% off? When making a payment to the cable company, does American Express know for what service I am paying?
  No they won't know what it is for. They'll just see the company and as long as that company is on their list of Cable/Sat. tv the credit will auto trigger. 

 Thanks. I prepaid my cable Internet account $300 and I instantly got the Am Ex confirmation:
 

 
  Dear MrVietnam,  
   
  Thank you for using your American Express® Card ending in xxxxx  at TIME WARNER CABLE. You will have successfully redeemed the offer if your purchase meets the offer terms.

So I guess I can be looking forward to the max credit from this deal of $30 in a few days. That will effectively lower my Internet bill for the foreseeable future from $45 a month down to a still expensive but more reasonable $40.50.

I prepaid $300 in one payment but it looks like from the terms of this deal you can make multiple payments as long as they are before 11/15/17.

Once I get the credit on this card I think I will prepay another $300 using my other Am Ex card with the deal. I hope Time Warner is like AT&T. When I had AT&T Uverse Internet and I canceled my account they didn't return my prepaid amount back to my credit card, but they mailed me a check (that way I wouldn't lose the loyalty points/cash back from my credit cards).

rated:
Thanks OP. Anyone have any success with this on Fios?

rated:
0/7

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   There are at least different offers available:

1) 10% off cable or satellite
2) 10% off cell phone
3) Spend $100+ on cell phone bill, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x  


4) Spend $100+ on cable or satellite, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x

rated:
lexcurat said:   I wish credit card companies would quit this kind of promotion. One corporate Business Analyst/MBA dreams it up, approved by one marketing guy who half understood it. Implemented by one IT fella who did the best they could in understanding it and making the systems gel.

Now you have lots of unhappy customers, dealing with lots of customer reps.

What was really gained? My AmEx is staying in my wallet.
 

  
Whatch talkin bout Willis? Amex offers have been great to me And instead of being grumpy about the ones that I don't, I really appreciate the ones that I do get.

I got cell/cable_satellite offers on 3 cards - easily $100+ value to me. But if it pains you so much, cut up the card - send it back to Amex and stop reading Amex posts.
 

rated:
Agreed on AmEx has done a really good job with its Offers program (backend deals as I call them). I have used some really good offers in the past years which has well exceeded the value of a 2% flat rebate card.

I know AmEx has its own categorization, but for the cable/satellite based on Visa/MC MCC, it looks like both Dish Network and AT&T landline/U-Verse paid online might both count.
Visa/MC MCC: MERCHANT CATEGORY: CABLE, SATELLITE, AND OTHER PAY TV/RADIO SVCS

i am trying to determine if AT&T Prepaid/GoPhone will qualify (Vesta). Yes, I know it is in the fine print as excluded. Might not be bad to try a small amount.
Visa/MC MCC:MERCHANT CATEGORY: TELECOMMUNICATION SERV.INCLUD. LOCAL/L.DIST. CALLS,CR CARDCALLS

Rasheed

rated:
This just showed up in my account this morning. I don't actually have cable TV.  I have phone and internet through Comcast. I did a test payment of $1.00 and it appeared to go through as eligible for the offer, so I signed up for autopay with the Amex card.

rated:
Does anyone have a link. I cannot seem to find this offer on the online portal

rated:
osumiester said:   Does anyone have a link. I cannot seem to find this offer on the online portal
  There is no link. You must sign into your AMEX account(s) to see if they are offering this promotion to you.

rated:
turtlebug said:   
osumiester said:   Does anyone have a link. I cannot seem to find this offer on the online portal
  There is no link. You must sign into your AMEX account(s) to see if they are offering this promotion to you.

 There is also the chance they did offer this to you but they are now "sold out". Popular offers have a way of quickly not being available anymore.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   
Stubtify said:   
MrVietnam said:   My offer is for cable or satellite tv, since I get my Internet service from the cable company, if I just prepay my Internet bill will it count for the 10% off? When making a payment to the cable company, does American Express know for what service I am paying?
  No they won't know what it is for. They'll just see the company and as long as that company is on their list of Cable/Sat. tv the credit will auto trigger. 

 Thanks. I prepaid my cable Internet account $300 and I instantly got the Am Ex confirmation:


 

 


  Dear MrVietnam,  
   
  Thank you for using your American Express® Card ending in xxxxx  at TIME WARNER CABLE. You will have successfully redeemed the offer if your purchase meets the offer terms.

So I guess I can be looking forward to the max credit from this deal of $30 in a few days. That will effectively lower my Internet bill for the foreseeable future from $45 a month down to a still expensive but more reasonable $40.50.

I prepaid $300 in one payment but it looks like from the terms of this deal you can make multiple payments as long as they are before 11/15/17.

Once I get the credit on this card I think I will prepay another $300 using my other Am Ex card with the deal. I hope Time Warner is like AT&T. When I had AT&T Uverse Internet and I canceled my account they didn't return my prepaid amount back to my credit card, but they mailed me a check (that way I wouldn't lose the loyalty points/cash back from my credit cards).

 Just reporting back. I only have cable Internet and this deal worked flawlessly for me. This morning my $300 charge posted and I also see a credit back for $30 also. Thanks OP.

rated:
Is the $30 max credit, per month, year, or what?

rated:
It's $30 per deal, like every other Amex offer.

I got the cell phone one on one Amex card. I'll get 10% back for all cell phone charges through 11/15, which since our cellphone bill is almost exactly $75 per month, is about perfect. The four payments between now and the deal end will be just over $300 so we'll get the full $30 with little waste.

Chris.

rated:
I got the 3k MR points for spending 100.00 3x. Got it on 2 cards. Spent the 600 between the 2 (prepaid the accts)and already got the points. I am converting them to Rite Aid plenti points. so 60.00 worth of free milk. That's all I can find there most times. Some great offers every few weeks. tho.

rated:
3c3 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   There are at least different offers available:

1) 10% off cable or satellite
2) 10% off cell phone
3) Spend $100+ on cell phone bill, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x  


4) Spend $100+ on cable or satellite, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x

  I got offers 3 and 4 on Platinum card.  In the past the cell phone offer worked on FIOS as well.  Anybody tried this time around?

rated:
Does anyone who has had Time Warner Cable in the past no how they refund a credit balance on your account when you cancel service? Do they put the money back on your credit card or do they issue a check for the credit balance? I know from past experience that AT&T issues a check, but am curios about what Time Warner does.

rated:
seawolf21 said:   
3c3 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   There are at least different offers available:

1) 10% off cable or satellite
2) 10% off cell phone
3) Spend $100+ on cell phone bill, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x  


4) Spend $100+ on cable or satellite, get 1,000 Membership Rewards® Points. Up to 3x

  I got offers 3 and 4 on Platinum card.  In the past the cell phone offer worked on FIOS as well.  Anybody tried this time around?

  Answering my own question.  A single charge off $100 on Verizon FIOS triggered both offers 3 and 4.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017