Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: FINANCE, HOT DEALS. — Aug. 19, 2017 @ 2:37am
rated:
some fine print:

Discover® Identity Alerts are offered by Discover Bank at no cost, only available online, and currently include the following services: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian® credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of risky websites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security Number on is found on such a website. This information is intended for, and only provided to, Primary credit cardmembers whose accounts are open, in good standing and have an email address on file. The Primary cardmember must agree online to receive identity alerts. Identity alert services are based on Experian information and data which may differ from information and data at other credit bureaus. Monitoring your credit report does not impact your credit score. This benefit may change or end in the future. Discover Bank is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. See Frequently Asked Questions.

rated:
Gotta wonder if this is just one more place that could be hacked to expose your SSN...

rated:
cc companies already have your ssn on file or via credit reports

rated:
Yes cc company do already have my SSN. But in this case they will loan it to some other company doing the monitoring... And that company will use it to poke around the web with it... to see if it shows up in some database... And it is all "free"... What can possibly go wrong...

rated:
I'll try it out. Discover has been very good to me in both service and customer service. You can cancel anytime. We'll see...

rated:
BobBob said:   Yes cc company do already have my SSN. But in this case they will loan it to some other company doing the monitoring... And that company will use it to poke around the web with it... to see if it shows up in some database... And it is all "free"... What can possibly go wrong...
  Most likely not "poke around", but scan and compare on discover's side. 

rated:
Also good for them if your credit drops for them to reduce your credit line or close the account.

rated:
Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can opt in to freeze your credit at any time for maximum security of your identity.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

Depending on where you live it may be free to freeze and unfreeze at will, making it better than any monitoring solution. Just a heads up for potentially younger readers who are new to credit and credit scores.

rated:
AlgaeEater said:   Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can opt in to freeze your credit at any time for maximum security of your identity.

Depending on where you live it may be free to freeze and unfreeze at will, making it better than any monitoring solution. Just a heads up for potentially younger readers who are new to credit and credit scores.

Ez  to freeze and unfreeze at will? Online in AZ? 

rated:
Yeah and I have read it can be quite the problem when you freeze your own credit. From Consumer Reports:
"A freeze also has drawbacks. While it’s in place, it prevents virtually everyone from accessing your credit files, even those you’ve authorized to do so (access still is permitted for companies with which you have existing relationships, such as your credit card issuers). That can create hassles, delays, and other problems if you need to apply for a loan, credit card, or a job; obtain insurance; rent an apartment; set up electric or phone service; and more. Most companies won't extend credit until they check your credit file at one or all of the three major credit bureaus. And some employers won't hire you without a credit check.

And unless you have a report from your police department or other agency indicating you’re a victim of ID theft, it likely will cost you to set up, remove, or lift a security freeze at the three major credit bureaus. Fees range from $2 to $15 per bureau, depending on your state’s laws."

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
AlgaeEater said:   Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can opt in to freeze your credit at any time for maximum security of your identity.

Ez  to freeze and unfreeze at will? Online in AZ? 

It's easy to do, however Arizona appears to be a more expensive state to place and lift a freeze. $5 per agency. You can read your state's laws here:

https://www.azag.gov/identity-theft/security-freeze

rated:
boomchicaboomboom said:   Yeah and I have read it can be quite the problem when you freeze your own credit. From Consumer Reports:
"A freeze also has drawbacks. While it’s in place, it prevents virtually everyone from accessing your credit files, even those you’ve authorized to do so (access still is permitted for companies with which you have existing relationships, such as your credit card issuers). That can create hassles, delays, and other problems if you need to apply for a loan, credit card, or a job; obtain insurance; rent an apartment; set up electric or phone service; and more. Most companies won't extend credit until they check your credit file at one or all of the three major credit bureaus. And some employers won't hire you without a credit check.

And unless you have a report from your police department or other agency indicating you’re a victim of ID theft, it likely will cost you to set up, remove, or lift a security freeze at the three major credit bureaus. Fees range from $2 to $15 per bureau, depending on your state’s laws."

Yeap; it's all about choices and your state's fees. It's up to the individual whether or not they want that level of protection for that level of inconvenience. For some folks it's total overkill, for others it's a necessary protection.

rated:
Isn't this more of a finance post instead of hot deal? Can I buy this? Just saying

rated:
boomchicaboomboom said:   Yeah and I have read it can be quite the problem when you freeze your own credit. From Consumer Reports:

The whole point of freezing your credit is to create hassles and delays when doing those things, to ensure others cannot do them under your identity.

rated:
mrbudman said:   Isn't this more of a finance post instead of hot deal? Can I buy this? Just saying

[sarcasm]Yes you can. New Social Security Number Alert Service for a great price, $0 [/sarcasm]

Hot deals is the most visited forums, and if a deal is good, I prefer it to be in hot deals instead of it's "politically correct" forum.

rated:
well discover has been great, i'm trying it. I saw the tv add the other day but never looked into. I already monitor my credit myself-

rated:
BobBob said:   Yes cc company do already have my SSN. But in this case they will loan it to some other company doing the monitoring... And that company will use it to poke around the web with it... to see if it shows up in some database... And it is all "free"... What can possibly go wrong...

Service provided by Experian...  They already have your SSN most likely.

rated:
nortotron said:   
mrbudman said:   Isn't this more of a finance post instead of hot deal? Can I buy this? Just saying

[sarcasm]Yes you can. New Social Security Number Alert Service for a great price, $0 [/sarcasm]

Hot deals is the most visited forums, and if a deal is good, I prefer it to be in hot deals instead of it's "politically correct" forum.

No different than the Credit Karma posts which have been in HD for years. it's mirrored to Finance, so what's the problem??

rated:
The credit monitoring part of this new service is based on Experian, which is interesting because for years CreditKarma has had free monitoring based on the other 2 credit bureaus.  CreditKarma now has over 60 million users, so perhaps that's why Discover chose to fill in the gap, with Experian

Sounds good to me since I no longer pay for monitoring.  Haven't since the App-O-Rama golden years ended.

rated:
Best to never give out your SSN except when applying for a credit card and never give it over the phone.

rated:
what sites are selling this info, only ones i ever found was bulk and finding a single person ssn was darn near immpossible.

rated:
psxzombie said:   some fine print:

Discover® Identity Alerts are offered by Discover Bank at no cost, only available online, and currently include the following services: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian ® credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of risky websites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security Number on is found on such a website. This information is intended for, and only provided to, Primary credit cardmembers whose accounts are open, in good standing and have an email address on file. The Primary cardmember must agree online to receive identity alerts. Identity alert services are based on Experian information and data which may differ from information and data at other credit bureaus. Monitoring your credit report does not impact your credit score. This benefit may change or end in the future. Discover Bank is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. See Frequently Asked Questions.

Yeah paused after having read the fine print too:
discover card site said: To provide you with identity alerts, you authorize Discover to obtain information from your personal credit report or other information from one or more credit reporting agencies (including Experian®) on a regular basis.

I mean yes they have SSN info already but is this authorizing them to have more info on me/us than normal at faster intervals so they benefit more?  e.g.  in terms of "other" credit/financial activities allowing them to snoop on competing cards activities -- so they can gather info such as "last month Chase BlueSuper Card (I made up) was signed up by 250000 consumers"  knowing they introduced specific known service, or "380000 customers had their Bank of America Dividend card closed"  per known specif change in policy, such business intelligence  info can be extremely useful to them per on capita basis more than what it costs them to provide this service. 

They can use this to make very strategic decisions without experimenting such features or changes in policy themselves, just seeing the impact immediately once sizable populace signs up for this "free" service.

Basically, yes I may get the benefit but am I providing more to them than what I am getting? Should they be paying me to have this service (right now them being the only player this question is moot) -- but once more get into this game, slowly I assume we will start maturing into proper legal framework for individual personal info compensation for sharing with corporations.

Just some more food for thought -- besides the obvious risks of more players accessing and exposing the info, as other pointed out already...

rated:
They're the only one saying they check the dark web as far as I know, but USAA sent an email for free credit monitoring before I saw this thread.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   
nortotron said:   

No different than the Credit Karma posts which have been in HD for years. it's mirrored to Finance, so what's the problem??

I don't have a problem. mrbudman seems to have had issue with this. In fact, I stated that I would prefer these posts be in HD ( that is the only forum I visit )

rated:
AAA has similar basic coverage for free, and tiered levels for additional $$

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/security/ssn-newaccount-alerts/

is this the same "black web" that we just signed up for last week?

rated:
invisible said:   
psxzombie said:   some fine print:

Discover® Identity Alerts are offered by Discover Bank at no cost, only available online, and currently include the following services: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian ® credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of risky websites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security Number on is found on such a website. This information is intended for, and only provided to, Primary credit cardmembers whose accounts are open, in good standing and have an email address on file. The Primary cardmember must agree online to receive identity alerts. Identity alert services are based on Experian information and data which may differ from information and data at other credit bureaus. Monitoring your credit report does not impact your credit score. This benefit may change or end in the future. Discover Bank is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. See Frequently Asked Questions.

Yeah paused after having read the fine print too:
discover card site said: To provide you with identity alerts, you authorize Discover to obtain information from your personal credit report or other information from one or more credit reporting agencies (including Experian ®) on a regular basis.

I mean yes they have SSN info already but is this authorizing them to have more info on me/us than normal at faster intervals so they benefit more?  e.g.  in terms of "other" credit/financial activities allowing them to snoop on competing cards activities -- so they can gather info such as "last month Chase BlueSuper Card (I made up) was signed up by 250000 consumers"  knowing they introduced specific known service, or "380000 customers had their Bank of America Dividend card closed"  per known specif change in policy, such business intelligence  info can be extremely useful to them per on capita basis more than what it costs them to provide this service. 

They can use this to make very strategic decisions without experimenting such features or changes in policy themselves, just seeing the impact immediately once sizable populace signs up for this "free" service.

Basically, yes I may get the benefit but am I providing more to them than what I am getting? Should they be paying me to have this service (right now them being the only player this question is moot) -- but once more get into this game, slowly I assume we will start maturing into proper legal framework for individual personal info compensation for sharing with corporations.

That ship has sailed a while ago when everybody jumped on the "free credit score" bandwagon.....

rated:
Connman said:   Gotta wonder if this is just one more place that could be hacked to expose your SSN...
you mean like by a conman?

oh what a difference an "n" makes

rated:

Agreed.  I've been offered monitoring services before because of hacks (at work, Anthem, etc.)  The first time I couldn't get the signup to work, so I called the monitoring company.  They said: "Oh if your credit is locked you don't need us."  I've kept my credit locked ever since.  

rated:
Does this provide more info than Capital One Credit Wise monthly update service? I feel CW is great and has a lot of info.

rated:
This seems like a nice feature (and I signed up), but it doesn't also do monitoring for the authorized user. So not really a complete solution unless your spouse/AU also has their own account.

rated:
They used to charge for this service. Nice feature for free. They don't ask for any info. Just confirm you want to sign up and get alerts via txt.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017