First Alert AC Hardwired 120-Volt Photoelectric Sensor Smoke Detector
https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert-AC-Hardwired-120-Volt-Photoelectric-Sensor-Smoke-Detector/3031834 

First Alert BRK 7010B Hardwire Smoke Alarm with Photoelectric Sensor and Battery Backup                                                                                                                        
Lowes - on-line -  $15.98 after 20% off for buying quantity of 6 (discount automatic in checkout) Item # 304177 Model # 7010B-6

• Hardwired photoelectric smoke alarm with 9 volt battery back up
  • Photoelectric smoke sensing reduces false alarms like those caused by cooking fires and shower steam.
  • Battery backup provides consistent protection for added safety during power outages
  • Patented optipath 360 technology TM provides 360 degrees of direct access to the smoke sensors
  • Perfect mount - allows for easy alignment of alarm
  • Single button test/silence helps to ensure your alarm is working properly
  • 10 year warranty

REPLACE YOUR OLD SMOKE DETECTORS AS THEY WEAR OUT.
Photoelectric detection is more reliable than ionization.
Amazon price is $20.50 and this is $15.98 each in quantity of 6 after 20% discount automatically in cart and free shipping.

THESE ARE PLUG AND PLAY WHEN REPLACING SIMILAR UNITS.

8 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Best smoke detector: Which one should you buy?The International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) – the largest firefighters union in the U.S. and Canada – recommends photoelectric smoke detectors. During their 2008 conference, the IAFF adopted an official position recommending only photoelectric smoke alarms and stated that dual sensor alarms are no longer acceptable.The technology used in ionization smoke detectors leads to a delayed warning in smoldering fires, which can lead to greater loss of life. Ionization detectors are also weaker in high airflow environments, so the delay may be even longer. Photoelectric smoke alarms are more effective at warning of smoke from smoldering fires and are less susceptible to nuisance alarms.To be safe, the IAFF and other safety organizations recommend homeowners replace all ionization, dual sensor, and unknown alarms with photoelectric smoke alarms.

rated:
Any one have these? There are lots of poor reviews on Amazon. Hardwiring and too many false alarms can drive you crazy.

rated:
I had the battery-powered one in the kitchen, and we had to take the battery out nearly every time we cooked.

rated:
TunaNugget said:   I had the battery-powered one in the kitchen, and we had to take the battery out nearly every time we cooked.
  My wife says these are a very Handy way to know when your food is done cooking.

rated:
sloppy1 said:   TunaNugget said:   I had the battery-powered one in the kitchen, and we had to take the battery out nearly every time we cooked.
  My wife says these are a very Handy way to know when your food is done cooking.

Depends on what or who is getting cooked. I got smart and stay right next door to the fire station. Better odds, me thinks!  

rated:
Horrid design. Reviews say false alarms constantly. Ionizing units generally do.

Get them with 10 year factory installed lithiums that don't need replacing. See Kidde Silhouette.

Get units with large buttons to silence the chirping.

You've just remedied the biggest problems in modern houses with 14 - 16 foot ceilings like mine. Once it's up there, it needs to stay up there. Try tapping this First Alerts tiny button with a broomstick. Ain't happening.

The design of most units just sucks on high ceilings and hits a cheap price point or adds marketable features most don't need. Manufacturers aren't making many convenient, ergonomic units that do the basics properly. Guess that's why I haven't replaced mine.

rated:
You really shouldn't install a smoke detector in a kitchen unless your one of those people that burn everything you cook. Even then your probably better off buying a fire extinguisher instead of a smoke detector. 

rated:
These are PHOTOELECTRIC not ionization. The ionization have poor reviews.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017