Avatar
posted 1 month ago by
smokeycatrules
Happy Member

United and Virgin America have round trip, nonstop flights to Maui Kahului Hawaii (OGG) for $396 including taxes and fees.
Travel Availability: Departs SFO: good availability beginning Aug 16 thru Nov 8 (no Fri, Sat, Sun)
Returns: good availability generally with minimum 7 day stay.

Use those dates and plug into
http://www.priceline.com, Orbitz [orbitz.com ] or Expedia [expedia.com ] to see which airline is flying on your choice of dates.  

4128 Views
11 Comments
Add Comment
Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: TRAVEL DISCUSSION, HOT DEALS. — Sep. 24, 2017 @ 2:07am
rated:
Any good beach hotel recommendation?

rated:
Anyone know a good beach hotel? The last time I was there was coming thru for Vietnam....guess the hotels are different now.

rated:
We stayed at the Napili Kai a few years back and it was probably the best vacation hotel or resort I've ever been to in 40+ years of traveling all across the US, a bit of the Caribbean, and much of Western Europe.

https://www.napilikai.com/

The grounds were simply gorgeous and immaculate - some of the most beautiful photos I took in ten days on Maui and Oahu were from our room's lanai and of flowers and beaches around the resort. Speaking of beaches, the resort's was very pretty, a bit rough of surf in January, but we still enjoyed swimming on it and saw sea turtles right at the resort beach, which are common. The restaurant was excellent - we ate there three times we liked it so much and my wife and I both thought our fish dinners were better than entrees we had a few days earlier at Alan Wong's in Honolulu (Barack Obama's favorite restaurant and one of the most famous in all of Hawaii).

While on Maui, I very highly recommend going on a Trilogy catamaran sailing/snorkeling cruise out of Lahaina to the island of Lanai. The crew was extremely helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable, we easily saw as many whales as most whale cruises while we were on the way to Lanai, the boat was spacious, comfortable, clean, and secure (they guard it while in the harbor), and the food was both plentiful and excellent, neither of which are common for Hawaiian boat tours. Plus, they have a facility on the beach at Lanai, so they have lots of decent snorkel gear, it's very secure, and the snorkeling at Hulupoe Beach is simply amazing, with literally thousands of fish more brightly colored than those in an aquarium store. They have a lifeguard on a SUP patrolling for safety, too. Think about trying the SNUBA - it's like SCUBA, but with an attached airhose so you don't need to be certified and you'll be able both to stay under much longer (without flailing around trying to stay down 12' or so, scaring away the fish) and go deeper. Trilogy probably costs about 10-20% more than many other cruises, but any one of the better on-the-water accommodations, better food and drink, better personnel, and safer facilities each would be worth the extra premium over other tours, but altogether, this was a very solid value and the best activity of our entire Hawaiian trip. One tip: don't ask your hotel's concierge to book the cruise, as he/she will tack on an extra 20% or so commission on top of the regular rate (you pay the commission directly, not Trilogy). Instead, a few days before you want to take the cruise, call Trilogy directly and ask for a discount - you should be able to get a modest (maybe 5-10%) discount by booking directly in advance over the phone.

rated:
lousygolfer said:   We stayed at the Napili Kai a few years back and it was probably the best vacation hotel or resort I've ever been to in 40+ years of traveling all across the US, a bit of the Caribbean, and much of Western Europe.
 

  Well, if you are prepared to pay over $400/night then I guess you can expect something a bit better than the average hostel. Too rich for my blood.

rated:
Sometimes people forget that "value" involves more than just low cost, but involves quality as well. If you can afford to go on a vacation to Hawaii, you ought to make it a damn good one and should consider that paying more may buy you something significantly nicer that would be worth the added expense. If you plan to be on the go the entire trip visiting Haleakalā at sunrise, spending a day on a boat or spending another whole day on the Hana Road, well, maybe it doesn't make sense to pay a lot extra for lodgings that will be little more for you than just a place to sleep. However, the Napili Kai was nice enough, with enough to do on the beach, at their pools, seeing on-site archeological features, or playing miniature golf, that one can spend several extremely pleasant and relaxing days never leaving the resort, other than maybe just to walk down the beach. I can count on one hand the number of times I've paid out of my own pocket for lodgings that expensive (I wouldn't be a FW member if I was simply a spendthrift who throws away money on frivolous luxuries) and they haven't all been fully satisfactory, but the Napili Kai was outstanding and easily worth the money to me and to my family.

rated:
lousygolfer said:   Sometimes people forget that "value" involves more than just low cost, but involves quality as well. If you can afford to go on a vacation to Hawaii, you ought to make it a damn good one and should consider that paying more may buy you something significantly nicer that would be worth the added expense. If you plan to be on the go the entire trip visiting Haleakalā at sunrise, spending a day on a boat or spending another whole day on the Hana Road, well, maybe it doesn't make sense to pay a lot extra for lodgings that will be little more for you than just a place to sleep. However, the Napili Kai was nice enough, with enough to do on the beach, at their pools, seeing on-site archeological features, or playing miniature golf, that one can spend several extremely pleasant and relaxing days never leaving the resort, other than maybe just to walk down the beach. I can count on one hand the number of times I've paid out of my own pocket for lodgings that expensive (I wouldn't be a FW member if I was simply a spendthrift who throws away money on frivolous luxuries) and they haven't all been fully satisfactory, but the Napili Kai was outstanding and easily worth the money to me and to my family.
I know where you are coming from, but if you're willing to pay whatever it takes then it's easy to find great products/holidays/services/etc.. The challenge is to find greatness at a great price. I'm not a person who finds it easy to spend lots of money on ephemeral things. Sometimes I wish i was, but I don't have it in me to enjoy anything for which I feel I have overpaid, especially if it has entertainment value only.

rated:
The SF Giants game on Saturday has BOGO Free vouchers for Virgin companion flights. Would these work on that?

rated:
Thanks for sharing OP

rated:
smokeycatrules said:   Anyone know a good beach hotel? The last time I was there was coming thru for Vietnam....guess the hotels are different now.
  
if you can afford it stay in wailea as opposed to lahaina.   Fairmont and Andaz are both great.

rated:
Good to know on the hotels/ Will try both for the best deal.

rated:
TellyTubby said:   
lousygolfer said:   Sometimes people forget that "value" involves more than just low cost, but involves quality as well. If you can afford to go on a vacation to Hawaii, you ought to make it a damn good one and should consider that paying more may buy you something significantly nicer that would be worth the added expense. If you plan to be on the go the entire trip visiting Haleakalā at sunrise, spending a day on a boat or spending another whole day on the Hana Road, well, maybe it doesn't make sense to pay a lot extra for lodgings that will be little more for you than just a place to sleep. However, the Napili Kai was nice enough, with enough to do on the beach, at their pools, seeing on-site archeological features, or playing miniature golf, that one can spend several extremely pleasant and relaxing days never leaving the resort, other than maybe just to walk down the beach. I can count on one hand the number of times I've paid out of my own pocket for lodgings that expensive (I wouldn't be a FW member if I was simply a spendthrift who throws away money on frivolous luxuries) and they haven't all been fully satisfactory, but the Napili Kai was outstanding and easily worth the money to me and to my family.
I know where you are coming from, but if you're willing to pay whatever it takes then it's easy to find great products/holidays/services/etc.. The challenge is to find greatness at a great price. I'm not a person who finds it easy to spend lots of money on ephemeral things. Sometimes I wish i was, but I don't have it in me to enjoy anything for which I feel I have overpaid, especially if it has entertainment value only.

  Hawaii is expensive.  Four hundred bucks a night is a pretty premium price for a hotel room for most of the US, but it is hardly "whatever it takes" on Maui.  Nearly everything about the islands costs a lot more than it does on the mainland.  It sounds like if you paid any amount of money, no matter how much or where the vacation, you'd still think you were wasting your money or get uptight thinking about how all you will have left after spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for a week or 10 days of vacation is just some memories.  It doesn't sound like Hawaii would be very fun for you because you'd spend much more time worrying about the cost than enjoying the scenery and views, doing things you can't do back in Fargo, and having a wonderful time with your family. 

If both of us live to ripe old ages and have a few cognizant hours on each of our last days, I will look back very fondly on the many memories I have of interesting places I've visited and fantastic times I've spent with my family, and won't regret the cost of those experiences.  Will you do the same or will you be adding up your bank statements and doing final inventories of your possessions in your head?

If I had personal knowledge of any good but less expensive hotels or resorts on Maui, I would have provided that information.  However, the only place I stayed the one time I was on that island was the Napili Kai, so I can't help you except to provide my experiences.  I appreciate the value of hard-earned cash as much as the average FWer but I'm not so consumed by penny-pinching that I value having money above other life experiences. 

Maybe you should cruise some garage sales until you find an old tent for under $10, get that, and find the cheapest campground within a gallon or two of driving distance from your home so you can minimize the amount you spend on "ephemeral things" during your vacations.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017