posted 1 month ago by
f2000sa
Ancient Member

moviepass†

Bloomberg Netflix Co-Founderís Crazy Plan: Pay $10 a Month, Go to the Movies All You Want

FAQ

They also offer:

Moviepass PREMIUM - Denver & Boston Markets Only. $20/month unlimited 2D, 3D & Imax movies at MoviePass†

There is an option for this program when you signed up and when you are in the two markets.†

173 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Wow...that seems impossibly low. Have a friend who has been doing movie pass for a long time and loves it, but it was at like $30 or $40 per month.

rated:
Here's a link where they let you sign up with a free two-week trial: https://www.moviepass.com/bb?utm_source=BB&utm_medium=email&utm_...

But yes - looks like they just lowered the price to $10/mo. Signing up for my wife and I.

rated:
how can i find which theaters take it?

rated:
This was covered last year here on Fatwallet. Just don't do it....
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1511652

rated:
miserly said:   how can i find which theaters take it?
† Almost all theaters. AMC, Regal, etc. etc. all the chains and many Indy theaters.†

rated:
neverl8 said:   This was covered last year here on Fatwallet. Just don't do it....

† No. Seems like they have a new business model now. They will lock you in for 12 months guaranteed. I am in $40 for 6 movies plan for long. They switched me to this low price unlimited plan. Just received an email today. Keep the thread active. Then will post more later.

I think this is a GREAT DEAL for everyone to sign up.†

rated:
bandyopa said:   
neverl8 said:   This was covered last year here on Fatwallet. Just don't do it....

† No. Seems like they have a new business model now. They will lock you in for 12 months guaranteed. I am in $40 for 6 movies plan for long. They switched me to this low price unlimited plan. Just received an email today. Keep the thread active. Then will post more later.

I think this is a GREAT DEAL for everyone to sign up.†

†Not if they have the right to change terms and conditions and cap # of movies per month at anytime according to their disclosure statement.†

rated:
ezwrighter said:   Wow...that seems impossibly low. Have a friend who has been doing movie pass for a long time and loves it, but it was at like $30 or $40 per month.
††
Availability and demand.† Lots of theater but the demand is shrinking.† Doesn't help that good writers are shrinking too.

rated:
Does it require an app? I use a flip-phone because I just want a phone not a ball and chain.

rated:
myisland said:   Does it require an app? I use a flip-phone because I just want a phone not a ball and chain.
† Yes, you will need MoviePass app on the phone.

rated:
Slow loading. Servers must be getting lots of traffic/killed!!

rated:
Site is acting real screwy at the moment. I tried multiple times and was finally able to get to the credit card screen. After I clicked on submit, I got an error page. However, I was able to sign in for some reason on the iPhone app except no account info showed up, and $9.95 was charged to my credit card already even though I used the 1-month free trial link (https://www.moviepass.com/oss)

Apparently, from another reputable deal site, some people have been charged $9.95 by going through that link. Here's the link for a 2-week trial: https://www.moviepass.com/sen

I sent them a message. Hopefully this gets remedied soon. This is a incredible deal and I missed it this morning because it just looked too good to be true.

rated:
site sucks, getting hammered, cannot get in to register

rated:
Apparently. I persisted and got signed up for spouse and I, but never received any acknowledgement on screen or via email that it actually "took". I tried signing up the same email address a second time and it said username already exists. So maybe it took.

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   
ezwrighter said:   Wow...that seems impossibly low. Have a friend who has been doing movie pass for a long time and loves it, but it was at like $30 or $40 per month.
††
Availability and demand.† Lots of theater but the demand is shrinking.† Doesn't help that good writers are shrinking too.

††

Yep, hard to find even one decent movie a month for date night.
$10 per month is actually less than one movie, sadly.

rated:
sixt7gt350 said:   
WorkerAnt said:   
††

††

††
Been many years since I've seen a decent movie to bother with going to the theater.† $10 x 12 months = $120/ year doesn't justify it for me.† So far I've been watching stuff on youtube, a few anime here and a few clips there.

rated:
We recently went to a movie for the first time in about 4 years. We were between houses, waiting for our new one to close, and watched Dunkirk.
We usually watch movies on the Android box, that way when one stinks, you just go onto the next. And the popcorn is a quarter a nite, as compared to the $8 medium that was popped last week at the Movie House.

This would be a decent deal, if the company didn't keep changing the plan. I would suggest just waiting a little while and renting a disc at RedBox for next to nothing

rated:
sixt7gt350 said:   
WorkerAnt said:   
††

††

Also keep in mind movies are largely seasonal. You'll find most blockbuster movies between May and August, with a few scattered throughout the rest of the year - especially in the lead up to award season - and then a veritable dead zone in the beginning of the year, until the whole thing restarts in Spring. †So you might have trouble finding anything to watch in certain months.

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   
sixt7gt350 said:   
WorkerAnt said:   
††

††

††
Been many years since I've seen a decent movie to bother with going to the theater.† $10 x 12 months = $120/ year doesn't justify it for me.† So far I've been watching stuff on youtube, a few anime here and a few clips there.

Couple of weeks ago we decided to watch a movie at the spur of the moment and drove to our favorite multiplex theater.
But there was no movie we liked and came back without watching.
This is the first time ever in my life I came back without watching a movie.
A sad state of affairs where all they make is Nth remake/rehash lacking so much from the original.

rated:
Why don't they just put up a list of the theaters this works at? They make it impossible to see the list unless you sign up. The website says to us the website Chat feature, but there isn't one! ALL the posted asked questions on the site are:†How do I know if MoviePass supports my local theater? There are no answers given besides "Sign Up".

This link is supposed to work, but it just errors out for me: ††https://www.moviepass.com/theaters/zip/†"Your Zip Code"

rated:
I read it works anywhere that will take a debit card....

EDIT - My source was Forbes, so take that FWIW

rated:
To get a text version of the local theaters, use this link and replace 00000 with your zip code:†https://www.moviepass.com/theaters/zip/00000

You might have to try a few times though.

I do not get people who bash this deal because they can't find one decent movie to watch. I guess they're the people who also complain about libraries and free museum admissions because modern literature and art are dead as well. If you are a high-brow cinema watcher, check out metacritic or rottentomatoes. If your tastes are more escapist, use cinemascore for audience ratings. Also check out movielens for customized recommendations based on what you loved/hated.

rated:

rated:
This looks really shady. This discussion isn't encouraging either.†

rated:
HPFanatic said:   AMC Looking To Block Moviepass After Price Slashing
† Maybe other chains will do the same.† This deal is too good to be true.

rated:
booklover said:   Site is acting real screwy at the moment. I tried multiple times and was finally able to get to the credit card screen. After I clicked on submit, I got an error page. However, I was able to sign in for some reason on the iPhone app except no account info showed up, and $9.95 was charged to my credit card already even though I used the 1-month free trial link (https://www.moviepass.ctom/oss)

Apparently, from another reputable deal site, some people have been charged $9.95 by going through that link. Here's the link for a 2-week trial: https://www.moviepass.com/sen

I sent them a message. Hopefully this gets remedied soon. This is a incredible deal and I missed it this morning because it just looked too good to be true.

† MoviePass customer service is very good. Use the app. Go to help and feedback on app, then click on contact support. It is interactive chat. They usually resolve your problems on your favor right away. †My 2c from experience.†

rated:
publicpersona said:   Apparently. I persisted and got signed up for spouse and I, but never received any acknowledgement on screen or via email that it actually "took". I tried signing up the same email address a second time and it said username already exists. So maybe it took.
††
Several hours later, I did get an email confirmation. I looked at the app and was nervous at first that it said no theatres near me were eligible, but after repeated tries it finally listed virtually all of them.

I cannot understand why theatre stocks dropped after this announcement, except that it is a realization that getting butts into theatre seats isn't as easy as it used to be. The MoviePass plan itself is a boon to the theatres as they realize full ticket sales, and have more mouths eating high margin concessions. What's not to like from their perspective?

rated:
linrick said:   

† Not really, they have many empty seats and hoping to cash in on popcorn and soda purchases.† That's where the money is anyway.

rated:
Can not get in to site, but how do they prevent sharing of membership?

rated:
Theaters don't like this because

1) it's a shady fly by night tiny company that will cause massive headaches and customer goodwill loss for the industry as a whole as they jack up prices bait and switch and are unable to scale, and

2) because if successful they gain market leverage to squeeze in as a middleman and erode margins from both theaters and producers.

rated:
Atleast they are being honest in their terms and conditions.The price can change anytime for any person.

https://www.moviepass.com/content/terms

4.3. MoviePass may make changes to any products or services offered on the Site, or to the applicable prices for any such products or services, at any time, without prior notice. MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members at anytime. You will be notified of any changes made to the terms of service prior to your next billing cycle, at which point you would have 14 days to opt-out of the service. MoviePass will not make any changes to your plan mid-cycle, all changes will be in affect at the start of your next billing cycle. The materials on the Site with respect to products and services may be out of date, and MoviePass makes no commitment to update the materials on the Site with respect to such products and services.

rated:
jschuman said:   
linrick said:   

† Not really, they have many empty seats and hoping to cash in on popcorn and soda purchases.† That's where the money is anyway.

††

Yep, $12.75 for the couples special. Two drinks and a popcorn tub to share. Serious profit at the chain theaters, both tickets and concessions.
Small town near us has an "old fashioned" theater, with reasonable admission and concessions, but it's one screen and few options for the dinner part of dinner and a movie.

rated:
jd2010 said:   Theaters don't like this because

1) it's a shady fly by night tiny company that will cause massive headaches and customer goodwill loss for the industry as a whole as they jack up prices bait and switch and are unable to scale, and

2) because if successful they gain market leverage to squeeze in as a middleman and erode margins from both theaters and producers.

††
Then it's up to the theaters to compete. I have a 20 screen theater 5 minutes from my house and the next closest theater is 20 minutes. There is about 80% overlap in what they show. If the theater near my house offered a moviepass type membership, but just for that one theater, at a legit price point (4-5 movies a month break-even), I would consider it. I don't need to go to the other theater. I suppose people that don't have a good multiplex nearby would rather have the flexibility of moviepass and go to any theater, but in the 'burbs, the single theater membership would work for a lot of people. It's not moviepass's fault that the theaters didn't get in this game first.

rated:
They grabbed the ten bucks out of my account almost instantly, but it appears I have to wait a week for a card (??) We'll see.

I've got the app on my cell (android) and it's churn churn churn, wondering if I need the card if the app is working correctly...

N E Waze, a good deal if it works out, if not I'm out ten bucks

Thx for posting, OP.

Green.

rated:
Lol now their SSL certificate is offline.

I wonder how they achieved that (Though moving to a bigger server but forgetting to move the cert comes to mind)

rated:
Even worse is some theaters have assigned seating. You have to book hours in advance. If you get there late you can not find two seats together or only front row!

rated:
keep in mind that AMC and I'm sure others are looking to block Movie Pass due to what jd2010 mention above. The price point is unrealistic and unsustainable.

rated:
What a stuipid idea. It is like buying a bunch of DVDs and letting people watch them for a fixed monthly price. If anybody tried to do that, they would be bankrupt in no time. This will never work....

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017